Thailand to announce nationwide curfew starting Friday

webfact

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is good news but such measures are not enough. Thailand needs to find a way to do mass testing, preferably with the newly developed SUPER QUICK on the spot results type that don't even need a painful nose swab, and they also need to do massive blood tests for antibodies to begin to understand the percentage of the people here that have already been infected and recovered. Social distancing combined with shut downs combined with massive testing combined with contact tracing and then there is hope to open the country up sooner with fewer deaths and less long term economic damage. You need it all. Not just one part. Also of course it goes without saying get those medical people enough PPE. 

That's right. Mass testing, which Thailand refuses to do. They keep throwing troll numbers each day around 100+. It became tedious. They are not testing enough. You can tell, they don't want to. However, by each day with their pathetic numbers they still implement more and more restrictions! I'm confident that behind the scene the numbers are much higher and the burden to healthcare system is enourmous.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I think it should be 8pm the other night a group of Farang outside 7/11 drinking the sauce looked like a few Russians

Na zdrowei, comrades!  Life is for living.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

It isn't.  That was my point.  Thailand, like the UK, is still allowing people to go to work, although encouraging them to work from home.

Fair play. 
So the general consensus is that very few people are out spreading the virus between 10pm and 4am so why announce a curfew during these time’s?

Are there other reasons. Someone mentioned potential crime as things deteriorate?

1 hour ago, RedPill said:

<deleted> are you talking about?

Well, if you don't know, it means you haven't noticed. I which case, the answer is to notice more and demand less.

Just a suggestion you understand...

Edited by ParkerN

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Quite stringent measures for a Country that shows so few cases ????

Yes let's just wait and see, just like what Europe and the US did. Eevn to this day, many in the US are not taking this seriously. And we see what effect their slowness in action is having. 

Just now, Mark1066 said:

Even at .5% mortality rate that’s 39 million dead people if you let it spread unchecked across the globe. May seem insignificant to you but not to others.

You're not a graduate of Imperial College by any chance?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That is not empirical evidence that the figures are deliberately false which is the suggestion that I was responding to, that's just your opinion of the number of cases.

Daily press briefings give the amount of cases and how many were tested..it's not an opinion, it's info given by the Thai government

2 minutes ago, humbug said:

Yes, it’s been here from December, even November, all new signs are that it started in October/November in Wuhan, that’s nearly Five months, this Wuhan virus has been around in Thailand, they don’t care for human rights, never did under these gangsters, viruses around for 5 months don’t go up by 100 a day in a population of 70 million

they are milking this for popularity, trying to be saviors, trying to act that they defeated the nasty virus with their measures, it’s a sham, by April/May they will have no choice but to open the economy back, they will do it in stages, making sure their Han Chinese business partners with the communists, get first taste of the pot of gold opening up, all the while the little guys become even more poverty stricken through, virus sickness or loss of livelihoods, these gangster communists need to be obliterated  

Love a good conspiracy theory wondered how long it would take for one cheers. Enjoyed the read

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, you did: you clearly suggested that post 14 would show some empirical evidence, it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, you did: you clearly suggested that post 14 would show some empirical evidence, it doesn't.

There isn't any empirical evidence on TVF, it's a forum for opinions. Z42 expressed an opinion, which (as it happens) I kind of agree with, but that also is just an opinion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thunder26 said:

That's right. Mass testing, which Thailand refuses to do. They keep throwing troll numbers each day around 100+. It became tedious. They are not testing enough. You can tell, they don't want to. However, by each day with their pathetic numbers they still implement more and more restrictions! I'm confident that behind the scene the numbers are much higher and the burden to healthcare system is enourmous.

Where in the world are they doing mass testing? In the UK, for example, the guidelines recommend staying at home if you have symptoms. It's not possible for ordinary people to get tested there unless they are exhibiting severe symptoms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, London1boy said:
12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That is not empirical evidence that the figures are deliberately false which is the suggestion that I was responding to, that's just your opinion of the number of cases.

Daily press briefings give the amount of cases and how many were tested..it's not an opinion, it's info given by the Thai government

Yes, and it is not empirical evidence that the figures are deliberately false which is the suggestion that I was responding to!

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

No doubt it's incidents  like this that have brought about the alcohol sales bans that are being introduced around the country.

indeed, go figure, drinking outside 7/11, real class.
these Tourists obviously did not know where the local is with the good stuff.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

Even at .5% mortality rate that’s 39 million dead people if you let it spread unchecked across the globe. May seem insignificant to you but not to others.

No it's not.

You're assuming the increase would be linear. It is not.

Think of the outbreak as a car racing down an open highway.  Although the car is still gaining speed, it’s not accelerating as rapidly as before.

“This suggests that the rate of increase in the number of deaths will slow down even more over the next week,” Levitt wrote....soon, he predicted, the number of deaths would be decreasing every day.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

No doubt they can then show that it was the halting of the “dirty foreigners” solved the problem. 
I look forward to that  graph soon. 

Another they all hate us poster ????

Read the Bangkok Post article about Thai returnees from abroad and you will see how wrong you are

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

No it's not.

You're assuming the increase would be linear. It is not.

Think of the outbreak as a car racing down an open highway.  Although the car is still gaining speed, it’s not accelerating as rapidly as before.

“This suggests that the rate of increase in the number of deaths will slow down even more over the next week,” Levitt wrote....soon, he predicted, the number of deaths would be decreasing every day.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

I'm not assuming anything. I was answering a post that suggested a mortality rate of under .5% means we should just get on with life and worry about those who don't die. It wasn't my figure.

By the way, the biophysicist you quoted also stated that the thousand or so new cases a day being reported in Iran last week suggested that they were over the halfway mark there as far as the spread of the virus was concerned. Iran reported nearly three thousand new cases yesterday and the same again so far today, so I'd take his opinion with a large pinch of salt.

Edited by Mark1066
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ParkerN said:
10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

There isn't any empirical evidence on TVF, it's a forum for opinions. Z42 expressed an opinion, which (as it happens) I kind of agree with, but that also is just an opinion.

My point exactly.  So perhaps those who categorically state or insinuate that the figures are deliberately inaccurate, when that is nothing more than their personal opinion based on nothing tenable, should pull their necks in!

50 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, saw this on the Thai TV news, then came here to see if anything was mentioned.

Seems reasonably sensible, not sure how they're going to police it, especially in outlying areas.

I guess this is the 'last chance' to prevent a massive spread, if it fails then it's going to play out over many months as it spreads through the population who go out and mingle with others.

We already have what I call a "virtual curfew" in Pattaya, by virtue of the fact that nothing is open after 10pm so there was absolutely no reason to leave home. The only exception was pharmacies.

• Like 2