Electricity bills cut by 3% to ease virus burden

snoop1130

1 hour ago, MisterTee said:

A civil reply to a snarky taunt.

No - your filter is wonky. Stop being so quick to see the negative around you. I see it with you time and time again on this forum, and quite frankly, it's getting rather dull.

My gf lives in an apartment block. Each room has its own meter but read by the manager and not PEA. On her monthly room bill just has cost for electricity not how many units used. One time I took reading on the first of a couple month and she was being charged double the standard rate, and I thought that had been made illegal. I am 100% sure the 3% won't be passed on to individual room renters.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

My gf lives in an apartment block. Each room has its own meter but read by the manager and not PEA. On her monthly room bill just has cost for electricity not how many units used. One time I took reading on the first of a couple month and she was being charged double the standard rate, and I thought that had been made illegal. I am 100% sure the 3% won't be passed on to individual room renters.

I wonder what the difference is between what MEA and PEA charge per unit

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I wonder what the difference is between what MEA and PEA charge per unit

My last PEA bill I had consumed 285 units for 1057.21 baht which comes to 3.57 baht per unit. Then add on 38.22 monthly fee minus 33.06 discount plus 74.37 tax and bill comes to 1136.74.

How does that compare to MEA?

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The regulator also waived the minimum charge for consumer categories 3,4,5,6 and 7 from this month to June.

As the vast majority reading this wouldn't have any idea who or what these categories apply to, is it asking too much for the reporter to tell us? Or is that too hard for them?

25 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

My last PEA bill I had consumed 285 units for 1057.21 baht which comes to 3.57 baht per unit. Then add on 38.22 monthly fee minus 33.06 discount plus 74.37 tax and bill comes to 1136.74.

According to the MEA calculator your total bill would be 1136.73.

ie Rates are the same.

Edited by ThaidDown
add

12 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

According to the MEA calculator your total bill would be 1136.73.

ie Rates are the same.

I had better get onto them, they overcharged me 0.01 of a baht.

5 minutes ago, frequentatore said:

You can buy a smaller air conditioner next time. One solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJGd5lGVuKw

For a non inverter yes, but for an inverter type you are better off buying a bit bigger one than is required for your room. A lot of people buy an inverter just big enough for the room. The AC then mostly runs at full speed which is a waste money in paying extra for the inverter and the possible repair costs. If larger than required it can bring the room temp down faster then will run slower to keep room temp and save money. Another thing people don't realise there is a LOT of electronics in an inverter AC. In really hot weather, and depending where the outdoor unit is placed, the electronics gets hot and the Acs are "smart" enough to de-rate themselves to keep the electronics overheating. So again better to have bigger.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NE1 said:

I am not doubting you or anything like that , I was just a little shocked by the size of your bill.

Mine is around the 3,000 baht a month , I thought that was high.

Mine is about 2500 baht a month and we live in a large house as well,only use aircon at night until about 3 in the morning then it goes off ,except in our son and girlfriends bedroom its on all night ,cant understand 10000 baht ,must be on all the time 

14 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

cant understand 10000 baht ,must be on all the time 

Electric bills must be one of the most debated topics on TVF, the differential in usage is substantial, 10k a month is easy to understand.

I worked for a multi-national company in Bangkok that payed for housing for expats and paid all bills, the average electric bill for family in 4 bedroom house was 28k a month, this was a few years back when power was more expensive, they did all have nice cool houses!

14 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

3% is not much but something, ever little bit helps those who don't earn much.  Saves me 54 baht on the electric bill, add 10 baht or so and I can get a bottle of Leo!  

Your getting ripped of mate.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Electricity bills cut by 3% to ease virus burden

That's not going to do much good for many people 3% is <deleted> all. Now there's more people at home working and many came home no job and not working .Using much more Power by Computers,TV's,Jugs ,Fridges for cold drinks and making ice ,extra Fans and Aircon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Lets see:  My MEA Bill i just paid shows I used 1118 KWh, for 4,717.49 baht or 4.219 per unit, Add in the 46.16 fee, minus my 129.69 discount and add in the 7% VAT of 324.38, my bill was 4,958.34 Baht. Pretty close, except you are charged 3.57 baht per KWh and I am charged 4.219 per KWh.  If I used your rate my usage portion would have been only 3,991.26, difference of 726 baht plus the reduction in taxes on that amount and so on, I would have spent probably 750 baht less if i was with PEA.  So there is your difference.  Thank you for sharing, its not much of a difference but for higher end user the amount can be possibly a few thousand baht.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I would have spent probably 750 baht less if i was with PEA.  So there is your difference.  Thank you for sharing, its not much of a difference but for higher end user the amount can be possibly a few thousand baht.

No you wouldn't because the rate for Residential is tiered by kWh and the price per unit goes up the more you consume. Unfortunately the MEA website has been down for some days and I can't look up the tariffs but I would assume they are not much different from PEA.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As the vast majority reading this wouldn't have any idea who or what these categories apply to, is it asking too much for the reporter to tell us? Or is that too hard for them?

Category 1 is Residential and 2 is "Small General Service" defined by "maximum of 15-minute integrated demand of less than 30 kW".

I am not sure what they mean by "minimum charge", possibly that's the "service charge". So they are waiving a roughly 300 Baht charge for consumers who pay on average hundreds of thousands of bath for electricity, many even millions. Not sure how that's gonna make any difference. For me it would make more sense if it was the other way round.

Edited by eisfeld

1 hour ago, Road Warrior said:

regards of other comments .this is nice gesture 

Not quite sure how you came to that conclusion, they are selling a commodity - power, they generate this power from O&G, the price of which is down more than 50% in recent weeks, more like they are taking advantage of their monopoly and passing on a fraction of their savings as a "gesture"!

23 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

No you wouldn't because the rate for Residential is tiered by kWh and the price per unit goes up the more you consume. Unfortunately the MEA website has been down for some days and I can't look up the tariffs but I would assume they are not much different from PEA.

Of course you are absolutely right, I forgot completely about the tiered usage rates.  Thank you for correcting me.  The bills in the US show the tiers and how much was used in each one.  My MEA bill does not it just shows the total used and the amount charged.

Before the kids were forced home and Myself and the GF had to stop working I was averaging 855 KWh, that jumped by almost 300 KWh on this last bill, and that was only for 2 of the 4 weeks. Will have to see what it is next month with us being home 24/7 for a full month.....

Edited by ThailandRyan

4 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

For info Online bill calculators available

MEA https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/11 

PEA https://www.pea.co.th/webapplications/EstimateBill/index.html#

The majority of TVF users will probably be on Tariff 1.2.

Does the MEA website work for you? It doesn't for me.

For PEA here is the overview of tariffs: https://www.pea.co.th/Portals/1/demand_response/Electricity Tariffs Nov61.pdf?ver=2018-11-21-145427-433

I think most TVF users will be on tariff 1.1.2 and not 1.2 (TOU, Time Of Use) as that is an optional rate and 99.999% of people have no idea whatsoever about how their electric bills work plus they would most likely pay more using this tariff.

50 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Does the MEA website work for you? It doesn't for me.

For PEA here is the overview of tariffs: https://www.pea.co.th/Portals/1/demand_response/Electricity Tariffs Nov61.pdf?ver=2018-11-21-145427-433

I think most TVF users will be on tariff 1.1.2 and not 1.2 (TOU, Time Of Use) as that is an optional rate and 99.999% of people have no idea whatsoever about how their electric bills work plus they would most likely pay more using this tariff.

MEA site works for me fine. Sorry for confusion ref tariff as they are slightly different between PEA and MEA.

On MEA normal tariff is 1.2 and TOU is 1.3. On PEA (as you say) std is 1.1.2.

• Like 1