China logs fewer coronavirus infections but tightens some curbs on movement

snoop1130

China logs fewer coronavirus infections but tightens some curbs on movement

By Huizhong Wu, Andrew Galbraith

y6.PNG

People with masks are seen at the side of a building, amid the outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in the central business district in Beijing, China, April 2, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

BEIJING/SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China, where the coronavirus outbreak first erupted in December, logged fewer new infections on Thursday, but measures restricting movement have been tightened in some parts of the country due to a fear of more imported cases.

China had 35 new cases of the disease on April 1, all of which were imported, the National Health Commission (NHC) said on Thursday.

The central province of Hunan, which had recently downgraded its emergency response to the lowest level, reported its first imported infection on Wednesday, state media reported on Thursday, citing the provincial health commission.

Authorities remain concerned about the risks posed by imported cases of COVID-19, and have in recent days banned foreign passport holders from entering and ordered a sharp reduction in the number of international flights.

China currently allows no more than 134 international flights per week to enter the country to meet demand from citizens and students abroad wishing to return home, and just 108 flights have been granted permission this week, Lu Erxue, the deputy director-general of China’s civil aviation administration said at a briefing on Thursday.

A total of 1.6 million Chinese students study overseas, of which 36 have tested positive, said Ma Zhaoxu, vice-minister of foreign affairs, at the same briefing.

The civil aviation administration arranged nine flights between March 4 and 26 to bring Chinese citizens back from overseas, and dispatched another plane on Thursday to ferry about 180 students back to China from the UK, Ma said.

China has also seen a gradual reintroduction of restrictions, including closures of cinemas that had been permitted to reopen, amid worries that early relaxation of lockdowns could spark another wave of infections just as the world’s second-largest economy is struggling back to its feet.

On Wednesday, a county in the central province of Henan said it had banned people from leaving without proper authorisation, and prevented residents from leaving their homes for work without clearance following several coronavirus infections in the area.

On Thursday, Henan reported one new imported asymptomatic case, according to the provincial health authority. A total of 10 asymptomatic cases remained under medical observation, six of which involved travellers arriving from abroad. The remaining four were locally transmitted.

Meanwhile, in Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak, 37 new asymptomatic cases were logged as at the end of Wednesday, according to the official Xinhua news agency.

NO SYMPTOMS

The number of new asymptomatic cases fell sharply to 55 on April 1, from 130 the day before.

China said it is treating such cases like confirmed ones and plans to publish information in a timely and transparent way, according to comments made by NHC official Wang Bin at a news briefing.

Asymptomatic carriers are less infectious than confirmed cases, said China CDC Chief Epidemiologist Zunyou Wu, citing a Ningbo CDC research paper.

But around 2 out of 3 such carriers will develop symptoms, said Wu.

One asymptomatic patient can only pass the virus to, on average, less than one person while confirmed cases can pass it to three, Wu added.

Users of Chinese social media have expressed fear that carriers with no symptoms could be spreading the virus unknowingly, especially as authorities ease curbs on travel for previous hotspots now that infections have subsided.

Last week, WHO epidemiologist Maria van Kerkhove said symptomatic patients were the main drivers of transmission, while most of those classified as asymptomatic developed symptoms a few days after diagnosis.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-02

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

China, where the coronavirus outbreak first erupted in December, logged fewer new infections on Thursday, but measures restricting movement have been tightened in some parts of the country due to a fear of more imported cases.

This is what I said last week when they removed most of the lock down restrictions, and allowed people to start travel and work again.

Let's see in 2 weeks time how infections are multiplying again.

So tell me what restricting internal movements have to do with imported cases.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

China had 35 new cases of the disease on April 1, all of which were imported, the National Health Commission (NHC) said on Thursday

Funny how they didn't mention when they had 79 the other day. WHO (yes Pun intended) actually believes them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

China started this mess and probably caused it by eating everything with a PULSE.Killing and eating jungle animals is not a good idea,they can and probably did carry this virus which then jumped to humans.

I do not believe any claims they make trying to cover up the mess they have caused.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The China uncensored video has it about right - the CCP is logging fewer infections because they are forcing people to stay at home and die there instead. Never tested. Not on official figures. 

• Confused 1

Yes and sending people back to work in Wuhan,  great plan, and I hope it

is not a death sentence for those people.  I seen China 2 times, but I have

avoided even flying into China since, as I got very sick on my last visit there.

Will not go there again in my life time.

Geezer

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Medical personals returned home sound and safe. They all reported positively on Wuhan situation. Don't wanna attract haters so I asked permission to edit then use the photo. 

I used dislike Chinese doctors think hospitals were given too much power than necessary; But this time I'd say every medical personal, especially those fought at Wuhan, are all Heroes true to the Hippocratic oath

微信图片_20200403174012.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Susco said:

This is what I said last week when they removed most of the lock down restrictions, and allowed people to start travel and work again.

Let's see in 2 weeks time how infections are multiplying again.

So tell me what restricting internal movements have to do with imported cases.

we're all desperate to find "proof" of lying, but the article is from reuters, so are we blaming the communist canucks for misinformation?

anyhoo, the article is a cornucopia of news snippets fused into one article.  if you read it all the way to the fourth paragraph you will see this where............movements were restricted.

On 4/2/2020 at 6:59 PM, snoop1130 said:

Authorities remain concerned about the risks posed by imported cases of COVID-19, and have in recent days banned foreign passport holders from entering and ordered a sharp reduction in the number of international flights.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

if you read it all the way to the fourth paragraph you will see this where............movements were restricted.

This where the movements were restricted, or reintroduced. Nothing to do with foreigners

China has also seen a gradual reintroduction of restrictions, including closures of cinemas that had been permitted to reopen, amid worries that early relaxation of lockdowns could spark another wave of infections just as the world’s second-largest economy is struggling back to its feet.

On Wednesday, a county in the central province of Henan said it had banned people from leaving without proper authorisation, and prevented residents from leaving their homes for work without clearance following several coronavirus infections in the area.

sure, but the question from the other poster was how restricting INTERNAL movement prevented imported cases. 

the paragraph quoted did not specify internal movement.

they reduced the number of flights coming into china, and i think they also stopped flying into some airports, further restricting movement to prevent imported cases.  fewer flights going to fewer airports.

in addition but not mentioned in the article, on arrival from overseas, all passengers are tested and regardless of result, go into 14-day mandatory supervised quarantine, not just self-isolation at home.

Edited by ChouDoufu

53 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

sure, but the question from the other poster was how restricting INTERNAL movement prevented imported cases. 

the paragraph quoted did not specify internal movement.

The paragraph YOU cherry-picked quoted did not specify internal movement.

The paragraphs just below your quoted, which you conveniently missed because it probably didn't float your Chinese boat, had everything to do with internal movement. And in fact they were the reason for the whole article.

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 6:30 PM, Thongkorn said:

meanwhile 11 million phones go missing, 

( Fine - revised version of my previous post, totally on point, no comparing a particular city not in China )

Sigh... what is the logic behind those speculations? Notes some city suddenly deserted after impose self-isolation, sure some conspiracists would conclude at least 60% the residents died in their home based on decreased traffic. There's a reason no one counting population based on simcard/roadtraffic/twitterpost

I'm not sure about the 11m numbers, but some people seems can't understand a single person could register multiple SIM cards, and many cards are of temporary purpose to ads, marketing, clound GPS/survillence etc., it is very common large volumn of zombie cards are reshuffled/cancelled by either operator/subscribers in spring season after conlusion of a year.

In Mar 31, the team of doctors from my home county( a small rural town in Shandong ) expedited to support Wuhan all returned home sound and safe. As some suspected millions of deaths in China, Wuhan now would be half ghost town... and no one have seen that except it's almost back to situation normal. Heck do those conspiracists even have an idea the MAGNITUDE of millions deaths that alone would creates so many bodies on streets nothing could cover ever. Instead we only got fishy april fool clips "from unknown source" "by unspecified citizen" not even the same level say you see makeshift morgue at somewhere I can't mention.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Coremouse said:

In Mar 31, the team of doctors from my home county( a small rural town in Shandong )

Oh now I understand why you disliked my previous post in this thread.,

Another CPC member

• Like 2

Just now, Coremouse said:

( Fine - revised version of my previous post, totally on point, no comparing a particular city not in China )

Sigh... what is the logic behind those speculations? Notes some city suddenly deserted after impose self-isolation, sure some conspiracists would conclude at least 60% the residents died in their home based on decreased traffic. There's a reason no one counting population based on simcard/roadtraffic/twitterpost

I'm not sure about the 11m numbers, but some people seems can't understand a single person could register multiple SIM cards, and many cards are of temporary purpose to ads, marketing, clound GPS/survillence etc., it is very common large volumn of zombie cards are reshuffled/cancelled by either operator/subscribers in spring season after conlusion of a year.

In Mar 31, the team of doctors from my home county( a small rural town in Shandong ) expedited to support Wuhan all returned home sound and safe. As some suspected millions of deaths in China, Wuhan now would be half ghost town... and no one have seen that except it's almost back to situation normal. Heck do those conspiracists even have an idea the MAGNITUDE of millions deaths that alone would creates so many bodies on streets nothing could cover ever. Instead we only got fishy april fool clips "from unknown source" "by unspecified citizen" not even the same level say you see makeshift morgue at somewhere I can't mention.

Also not sure it's good or bad thing but Chinese are super fast into panic mode, any single suspected case pop up - minutes later the entire city would know him/her through wechat. Within a day his/her past whereabouts would be digged out without respecting the privacy. And then they'll be monitored to quarantine not (only) by goverment, but every neighbor. 

It is hard to cover up in any place in China except Wuhan with too much cases for everyone to notice; yet Wuhan faces even more pressure to be transparent about the number

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Susco said:

Oh now I understand why you disliked my previous post in this thread.,

Another CPC member

First time knowing I'm a CPC( or CCP? ) member thank you. Great this time not a 'bot' 'propagonda arms'????

I've been practically fighting CCP entire time before 2015. That doesn't mean I have to smear Chinese, nor like people ranting on Chinese because biased news from RFI or conspiracists

Edited by Coremouse
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Susco said:

The paragraph YOU cherry-picked quoted did not specify internal movement.

The paragraphs just below your quoted, which you conveniently missed because it probably didn't float your Chinese boat, had everything to do with internal movement. And in fact they were the reason for the whole article.

exactly!  the paragraph the other guy cherry-picked quoted did not specify internal movement, but i don't see that as an indication the reuters reporter is spreading lies.

this article is just a rehash of the days events, a collection of news releases and repostings of prior short reuters articles and 'breaking news' 2-paragraph click-me spots.   shouldn't be surprised when one or two of the details don't exactly fit the catch-all header, often not written by the reporter but by a copy editor.

note that neither the headline nor the lede included the word "internal," so, umm, what was the point of this anyways?

Edited by ChouDoufu
stupid auto-correct!