Survey unmasks Thais’ viral hygiene habits

snoop1130

Survey unmasks Thais’ viral hygiene habits

By THE NATION

800_dcbb8c1f4650bd5.jpg

An online survey of hygiene habits has revealed how national habits have changed as Thais seek to protect themselves and others from the raging Covid-19 contagion.

The survey, unveiled by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Thursday (April 2), found that 94.03 per cent of people wore medical or cloth masks when they ventured out of their homes. Meanwhile 90.47 per cent cleansed their hands with water and soap, and 85.33 per cent with alcohol-based sanitisers.

The study of 146,372 persons nationwide was conducted on March 24 -25 by the Department of Disease Control, Asean Institute for Health, and Big Data Experience Centre.

Among other findings were that 64.31 per cent of participants practised social distancing by keeping 1-2 metres away from others, and 57.98 per cent were consciously avoiding touching their face.

Meanwhile 53.25 per cent were consuming nutritious food such as vegetables and fruits, 46.23 per cent cleansed their phones with steriliser, and 45.78 per cent covered their mouths or noses while sneezing or coughing.

In addition, 39.91 per cent of people were taking vitamin supplements and 29.05 per cent checked their temperature every day. Only 0.52 per cent said they were doing nothing in response to the Covid-19 crisis.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385289

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-02
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

90.47 per cent cleansed their hands with water and soap

Yippieeeh! Let's hope that newly acquired habit sticks once the contagion is over. But i have my doubts.

But then again...

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

45.78 per cent covered their mouths or noses while sneezing or coughing

...which means that well over half still don't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

I've seen thai waiters or sales sneezing in their hands and wiping it off on their pants, just in public without any shame.

That's nothing compared to the well-rehearsed artistry of using the deliberately long-grown nail on your pinkie to skillfully dig deep and, with a quick twist of the wrist, extract... well, you get the picture. It's a sight to be believed. I also wonder if the respondents considered that astonishing action as "touching your face" because, technically speaking, you don't.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

the same Thais that spit and throw everything out of the window ro while riding their motorbikes without looking if anybody is next to or passing by them...

Just this evening walking out of Tesco car park, a Thai guy passing on a motorcycle opens his mouth mask coughing vigorously about 2m from the people waiting to cross the road, just disgusting and wonder if he did it intentionally.

Edited by userabcd

I have noticed, in BKK anyways, more people washing their hands, but, will things go back to normal after covid19 passes? Probably yes. 

Short term good, but in the long term it shows they haven't learnt anything from this. 

Edited by djayz

From what I have seen over the years most  Thais lack decent hygiene habits. Sure they may shower 12 times a day but i bet most dont wash their hands after using the toilet before serving food. And the spitting is awful, everyone from young kids to grannies and grandpas honking their lungs up every morning and spitting on the floor. They can be heard for miles!

yeah, they are so hygienic.

Edited by Liverpoolfan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, smedly said:

and those disgusting beer coolers they put on a bottle of beer - have a sniff at one of them, the bacteria on those things must be enormous and some even stuff a straw down the inside between the bottle and the "condom

They are in that condition due to the filthy falang smoking cigarettes and using their unclean, smelly, stained hands to suck down booze.

• Haha 1

Maybe they need adverts on tv to explain the very simple concept that the mask should cover not only your mouth but your nose as well. Another thing that irks me is people pulling their masks down to talk. Saw a woman the other day going into my local convinience store, sneezed into her hands, put her mask on and in she went to put her grubby, poss. infected hands on products. 

Some of my western friends think wearing a mask is worse. Trying to educate them but to no avail.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

As confinement is not compulsory, I can see during my MTBike rides that indeed many Thai people wear a mask; but not 94 % ..

The figure which seems to me the closest to reality would be around 75%
on the other hand the helmet which is much more useful continues to be ignored by an immense majority of Thai and also unfortunately too many farang.

It's their life, not mine ..

Here, it's very big anything.
Thais never wash their hands, neither before nor after poo, nor after having worked anything ...
If 5% of Thai people wash their hands with water AND soap or gel, it's really a big maximum

Thais never wash their hands, neither before nor after poo, nor after having worked anything ...
If 5% of Thai people wash their hands with water AND soap or gel, it's really a big maximum

Which part of Thailand/Thai population are you relating to?

Some don't wash their bum after poo, is another matter.

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Thais have been spitting coughing for years never attempting to cover their mouths.

Watched a lady from my apartment this morning, she walks around early every morning waving her arms [Thai style exercising] coughing hers lungs up and spitting out on the ground.

So lovely to hear her in the morning quiet!