Survey unmasks Thais’ viral hygiene habits

snoop1130

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Survey unmasks Thais’ viral hygiene habits

This is a good start . what people have to do now is Apply the same curtesy/safe,distance habits on the road and Thailand will be a Better Different Country.

15 hours ago, sezze said:

Not true . Most people in rural Thailand have got French style toilet , and a bucket with water . Toilet paper is vary rare , and so is the bum spray . So the toilet is finished with hand + water and soap . 

I regularly see Thai male employees go to the toilet and leave the bathroom without washing their hands.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Not true!   

In 15 years, I have never seen soap in a rural, town or city environment where 'French' style or 'squat' holes style toilets are used.

I rarely see any Thais washing their hands properly, or covering their mouth/noses when sneezing/coughing all over the place - including, as I have personally seenม countless times - sneezing over uncovered food.

At least now, some are doing that into their masks.

So a win-win there for the immediate future.

Its just a fact of life, here in Thailand. Just like nose picking! (or, as we used to say in the RN - give us a wave when you get to the bridge)!

quote "In 15 years, I have never seen soap in a rural, town or city environment where 'French' style or 'squat' holes style toilets are used."

I have and usually the cleanest toilets at gas stations are those run by PTT.

Have you never used the toilets at Makro or any of the shopping malls. ? They always have a combination of squat and western style toilets toilet paper and soap unless it has recently run out. In some you use the big toilet roll next to the basins or a hand dryer on the wall.

All of them are cleaned about once an hour.

I have even used mom and pop gas stations a few times, and the toilet in one was a squat style the toilet cubicle itself was immaculate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

You people sure love to live in poor areas where you think you can be better than those around you???? When you move to California, I'll show you around the ghettos, you'll love it there.

• Haha 2

I guess i have to dive in my pics . In my village , all houses i've been in all the same . Squat style toilet , big bucket of water and a block of soap . Tap water was available in most houses , but not enough pressure to do anything with it , beside filling up the bucket .

Restaurants , i have to go in city , there you find all the fancy stuff , but not in the rural village . Now i got a house , with inside bathroom and normal toilet , but we still have a outside toilet still same style and yes this is still used more then the western style ( but not by me ) .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They are in that condition due to the filthy falang smoking cigarettes and using their unclean, smelly, stained hands to suck down booze.

I used to shower once a week but now twice since the Almighty Health Minister (whereabouts unknown) told me I was a stinking farang and to (deleted) off home - so take that back - I am now twice as clean as I was before I cleaned before the last time

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I have seen people lift their masks to pick their nose. Nothing has changed!

and flicking a boggie is near impossible in this hot humid climate so they just slip it into their mouth - witnessed many times - I kid you not

20 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I must not live in the same rural Thailand as you ..
I live year-round in a very small village in Isaan since 14 years ;

I can tell you that French-style toilets are in your dreams ...
and when you go to the local restaurant, you can look for the sink ..
and when you have the chance to find one, the tap turns on itself, the soap is absent as well as the towel.

You obviously live in a very hi so rich rural village then because in mine, less than 100 houses most don't have a western sit down toilet or bum squirter, let alone a towel. 

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Maybe they need adverts on tv to explain the very simple concept that the mask should cover not only your mouth but your nose as well. Another thing that irks me is people pulling their masks down to talk. Saw a woman the other day going into my local convinience store, sneezed into her hands, put her mask on and in she went to put her grubby, poss. infected hands on products. 

Some of my western friends think wearing a mask is worse. Trying to educate them but to no avail.

Apparently you have not gotten word that face masks are useless. Please consult the numerous informed experts on TVF declaring this...... Still. 

Sigh.......... 

5 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Apparently you have not gotten word that face masks are useless. Please consult the numerous informed experts on TVF declaring this...... Still. 

Sigh.......... 

Please explain why they are useless. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know.

The US said no need to wear them. Keep an eye on that one and see what the situation is by end of nxt wk. Czech Republic. Have a look there. 

Edited by dinsdale

Knowing I will be flamed mercilessly for saying this, but... 

The CDC in USA has been running public service announcements for years urging Americans to not overdo the household sanitizing. The reason? Because exposure to many common bacteria and viruses gives a continual boost to your immune system. If you have no exposure to such microbes you fall victim the first time you are exposed. 

Is it possible that the less stringent hygiene in lesser developed countries is why the infection/death rate is lower there than in the highly sanitized germaphobic western countries? Look at the history of the polio virus to get my point. 

Before replying note that I'm not advocating drinking from toilets or bathing in cesspools. What I'm saying is that an overly-sterile household and personal body environment is not natural and is actually a long-term risk factor. We live in a sea of microbes and to attempt to isolate ourselves from it entirely is impossible and, in excess, unwise. 

This is one factor in the 'herd immunity' that is so often referred to lately. 

Obviously there are limits to this. 

I bought and have used a mask from early January onward, despite all advice to the contrary from governments and other 'experts' such as the anti-mask contingent on TVF. I stocked up on essentials such as beer early and we go out as infrequently as possible. 

My comments are largely intended to frame the whole idea of infections and how immunity to common microbes is gained over time. The immune system is not a static organ; it is and must be continuously 'updated'. 

Disclaimer : I'm not a doctor, scientist, virologist, hygiene expert, soldier, sailor, or candlestick maker. I am however a well-known rocket surgeon and actually play one on TV. 

19 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Please explain why they are useless. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know.

The US said no need to wear them. Keep an eye on that one and see what the situation is by end of nxt wk. Czech Republic. Have a look there. 

Sorry. You missed my sarcasm. My bad. See my further posts below in this thread. 

I have stated several times, and been hounded by some on TVF for my belief that a mask, a towel, or even underwear over your face is more of a barrier to microbes than nothing at all. If you check my profile and recent posts you will see that I have been a mask supporter from the beginning of this mess. 

This is intuitive and common sense in my opinion. At worst it's a minor inconvenience to wear a mask and at best it is respectful of those who are trying to protect themselves and others. I practice social distancing, wear a mask, and frequently disinfect my hands when in public. 

Although I also generally advocate relaxed sterility practice in everyday life as a continual update to our immune systems, this is not the time to ignore exposure. 

Once all this is over I'll go back to my life-long habit of sharing ice cream with my dog, not cleaning or bandaging minor cuts, eating food past its 'dead' date, and picking up dropped food to eat, etc.

For the record I'm 70, haven't had a flu vaccine in over 40 years, have no allergies to any thing I know of, virtually never get colds, and never had bad infections of any type. It's worked for me; your mileage may vary. 

Every one should soberly and knowledgeably assess their own personal risk factors and act accordingly. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Sorry. You missed my sarcasm. My bad. See my further posts below in this thread. 

I have stated several times, and been hounded by some on TVF for my belief that a mask, a towel, or even underwear over your face is more of a barrier to microbes than nothing at all. If you check my profile and recent posts you will see that I have been a mask supporter from the beginning of this mess. 

This is intuitive and common sense in my opinion. At worst it's a minor inconvenience to wear a mask and at best it is respectful of those who are trying to protect themselves and others. I practice social distancing, wear a mask, and frequently disinfect my hands when in public. 

Although I also generally advocate relaxed sterility practice in everyday life as a continual update to our immune systems, this is not the time to ignore exposure. 

Once all this is over I'll go back to my life-long habit of sharing ice cream with my dog, not cleaning or bandaging minor cuts, eating food past its 'dead' date, and picking up dropped food to eat, etc.

For the record I'm 70, haven't had a flu vaccine in over 40 years, have no allergies to any thing I know of, virtually never get colds, and never had bad infections of any type. It's worked for me; your mileage may vary. 

Every one should soberly and knowledgeably assess their own personal risk factors and act accordingly. 

Sorry I missed the sarcasm. Fact is people still hangin' on to the BS govt's, WHO put out about why masks are not needed. Only reason for this misinformation is they have/had no maks. I really don't understand. It's very simple really. A mask WILL help. Let's see the USofA nxt wk. My prediction is mask wearing will go through the roof there. The Gov't is in a tricky situation. They have to find a way of not telling people they lied to them about mask wearing, to encouraging them to wear masks.

20 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Sorry I missed the sarcasm. Fact is people still hangin' on to the BS govt's, WHO put out about why masks are not needed. Only reason for this misinformation is they have/had no maks. I really don't understand. It's very simple really. A mask WILL help. Let's see the USofA nxt wk. My prediction is mask wearing will go through the roof there. The Gov't is in a tricky situation. They have to find a way of not telling people they lied to them about mask wearing, to encouraging them to wear masks.

Absolutely agree with you. 

Always use your own judgment about what your government and their experts tell you. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 7:08 PM, Assurancetourix said:
On 4/2/2020 at 7:02 PM, sezze said:

Not true . Most people in rural Thailand have got French style toilet , and a bucket with water . Toilet paper is vary rare , and so is the bum spray . So the toilet is finished with hand + water and soap . 

I must not live in the same rural Thailand as you ..
I live year-round in a very small village in Isaan since 14 years ;

I can tell you that French-style toilets are in your dreams ...
and when you go to the local restaurant, you can look for the sink ..
and when you have the chance to find one, the tap turns on itself, the soap is absent as well as the towel.

The village in which you live is not the whole of Thailand, it is just your Isan village, so why generalise with garbage such as this previous comment of yours?...

"Thais never wash their hands, neither before nor after poo, nor after having worked anything ...
If 5% of Thai people wash their hands with water AND soap or gel, it's really a big maximum".

I'd put a lot more faith in that survey than your unjustifiable speculation.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 8:47 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

Actually, my Thai family are cleaner than some posters on this forum.

They have rolls of toilet paper and use it to blow thier noses,  they wash

before each meal, and after their toilet breaks and they even give the children heck if they

forget to wash.  I believe that there are so many BSers on the forum, who think

they are the cleanest people on the planet, but I seen many farang slobs in Hua Hin

who came out of the bathroom areas, walking past the sinks without even

a quick wash of their hands.  Just in case you have not or will not admit

seeing that behavior yourselves.

Geezer

I have to agree with you on the pot calling the kettle black when it comes to some of the posters here. 

And I admit I have also become an avid nose picker (not being sarcastic in any way). Perhaps "nose digger" or "nose miner" would be a more appropriate description. I wake up with the hardest bogeys you could imagine, so hard you could build a wall with them. So hard and well adhered to the inner walls of my nose that no amount of blowing, huffing or puffing will dislodge them; leaving me no alternative but to digitally dive in.

BTW, I do wash my hands after going to the loo though, so at least I have one redeeming quality. 

Edited by GarryP
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2020 at 1:50 PM, smedly said:

and flicking a boggie is near impossible in this hot humid climate so they just slip it into their mouth - witnessed many times - I kid you not

There have been reports which point to eating bogeys being good for strengthening the immune system. Also studies saying the opposite, but there seems to be many more in favor than against.  

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

The US has turned on that and now recommends wearing them.

15 hours ago, GarryP said:

The US has turned on that and now recommends wearing them.

How can you practise social distancing when you get 3,4,5, people on a scooter, must be the extended variety, and the Thai's say farangs are to blame for not wearing masks.

On 4/2/2020 at 6:11 PM, Toany said:

That is what the people said when they were asked. I wonder how close that is to what they actually do. 

Exactly. This method of investigation is so stupid it makes my head hurt. You have to look to see what people are doing not what they say they are or what they plan to do.

22 hours ago, dinsdale said:

The US said no need to wear them.

Although Trump has said that the wearing of masks may become mandatory, as of yesterday, Friday in Canada, as usual he is not confirming anything, yet.  In fact, "President trump said on Friday that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was urging all Americans to wear a mask when they leave their homes, but he immediately undercut the message by repeatedly calling the recommendation voluntary and promising that he would not wear one himself.

“With the masks, it is going to be really a voluntary thing,” the president said at the beginning of the daily coronavirus briefing at the White House. “You can do it. You don’t have to do it. I am choosing not to do it. But some people may want to do it, and that’s OK. It may be good. Probably will — they’re making a recommendation. It’s only a recommendation, it’s voluntary.”

I guess that being a pendulum is OK or maybe not, depending on the circumstances.

'nuf sed.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:40 PM, Somtamnication said:

I have seen people lift their masks to pick their nose.

Is that any better than the student in the USA who, during last week, took the challenge to lick out a toilet bowl with his tongue and a few days later was found to be positive COVID-19?

'nuf sed.

OMG, surely the cases that all

of you are citing do happen elsewhere. or

we are not living in the same

country. 
I would do not label what you have mentioned as a fact as I find Thai people

mindful of their hygiene.

First time I hear the mention of “French” toilets. I did google it and read that this term is used in some parts of Middle East, referred to as Asian, await, Indian or Turkish toilets ( the latter being the one I have heard of ) ( just a note ) in other countries

I call bullsh*t on that 90.47%.

I work for a large tech company here in Bangkok. The company itself was very proactive about taking staff's temperature when they entered the office as well as the ubiquitous hand sanitizer. Kudos on that.

However it's business as  usual in the men's room - Thai's are absolutely filthy when it comes  to washing their hands after relieving themselves (can ony speak for the men's room - hopefully  Thai poo ying are more sanitary).  It's a quick splash of water on the hands and rarely, rarely using soap and back to work.

So basically they get a squirt of sanitizer on the way into the  office, and after that back to their usual habits.