BANGKOK
snoop1130

Survey unmasks Thais’ viral hygiene habits

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Survey unmasks Thais’ viral hygiene habits

This is a good start . what people have to do now is Apply the same curtesy/safe,distance habits on the road and Thailand will be a Better Different Country.

15 hours ago, sezze said:

Not true . Most people in rural Thailand have got French style toilet , and a bucket with water . Toilet paper is vary rare , and so is the bum spray . So the toilet is finished with hand + water and soap . 

I regularly see Thai male employees go to the toilet and leave the bathroom without washing their hands.

• Like 2

And the final question was ‘do you bend the truth’ and the survey said ....

100% said No they donot bend the truth!

I think any Thai poll, is more likely to be a face saving exercise. It would be like asking if they are careful drivers,and don't speed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Not true!   

In 15 years, I have never seen soap in a rural, town or city environment where 'French' style or 'squat' holes style toilets are used.

I rarely see any Thais washing their hands properly, or covering their mouth/noses when sneezing/coughing all over the place - including, as I have personally seenม countless times - sneezing over uncovered food.

At least now, some are doing that into their masks.

So a win-win there for the immediate future.

Its just a fact of life, here in Thailand. Just like nose picking! (or, as we used to say in the RN - give us a wave when you get to the bridge)!

quote "In 15 years, I have never seen soap in a rural, town or city environment where 'French' style or 'squat' holes style toilets are used."

I have and usually the cleanest toilets at gas stations are those run by PTT.

Have you never used the toilets at Makro or any of the shopping malls. ? They always have a combination of squat and western style toilets toilet paper and soap unless it has recently run out. In some you use the big toilet roll next to the basins or a hand dryer on the wall.

All of them are cleaned about once an hour.

I have even used mom and pop gas stations a few times, and the toilet in one was a squat style the toilet cubicle itself was immaculate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

You people sure love to live in poor areas where you think you can be better than those around you🤣 When you move to California, I'll show you around the ghettos, you'll love it there.

• Haha 2

I guess i have to dive in my pics . In my village , all houses i've been in all the same . Squat style toilet , big bucket of water and a block of soap . Tap water was available in most houses , but not enough pressure to do anything with it , beside filling up the bucket .

Restaurants , i have to go in city , there you find all the fancy stuff , but not in the rural village . Now i got a house , with inside bathroom and normal toilet , but we still have a outside toilet still same style and yes this is still used more then the western style ( but not by me ) .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They are in that condition due to the filthy falang smoking cigarettes and using their unclean, smelly, stained hands to suck down booze.

I used to shower once a week but now twice since the Almighty Health Minister (whereabouts unknown) told me I was a stinking farang and to (deleted) off home - so take that back - I am now twice as clean as I was before I cleaned before the last time

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I have seen people lift their masks to pick their nose. Nothing has changed!

and flicking a boggie is near impossible in this hot humid climate so they just slip it into their mouth - witnessed many times - I kid you not

20 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I must not live in the same rural Thailand as you ..
I live year-round in a very small village in Isaan since 14 years ;

I can tell you that French-style toilets are in your dreams ...
and when you go to the local restaurant, you can look for the sink ..
and when you have the chance to find one, the tap turns on itself, the soap is absent as well as the towel.

You obviously live in a very hi so rich rural village then because in mine, less than 100 houses most don't have a western sit down toilet or bum squirter, let alone a towel. 

• Confused 1

Yeah right.  And Burmese can't catch the virus because of their healthy diet according Aung San Suu Kyi.

23 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Maybe they need adverts on tv to explain the very simple concept that the mask should cover not only your mouth but your nose as well. Another thing that irks me is people pulling their masks down to talk. Saw a woman the other day going into my local convinience store, sneezed into her hands, put her mask on and in she went to put her grubby, poss. infected hands on products. 

Some of my western friends think wearing a mask is worse. Trying to educate them but to no avail.

Apparently you have not gotten word that face masks are useless. Please consult the numerous informed experts on TVF declaring this...... Still. 

Sigh.......... 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Apparently you have not gotten word that face masks are useless. Please consult the numerous informed experts on TVF declaring this...... Still. 

Sigh.......... 

Please explain why they are useless. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know.

The US said no need to wear them. Keep an eye on that one and see what the situation is by end of nxt wk. Czech Republic. Have a look there. 

Edited by dinsdale

Knowing I will be flamed mercilessly for saying this, but... 

The CDC in USA has been running public service announcements for years urging Americans to not overdo the household sanitizing. The reason? Because exposure to many common bacteria and viruses gives a continual boost to your immune system. If you have no exposure to such microbes you fall victim the first time you are exposed. 

Is it possible that the less stringent hygiene in lesser developed countries is why the infection/death rate is lower there than in the highly sanitized germaphobic western countries? Look at the history of the polio virus to get my point. 

Before replying note that I'm not advocating drinking from toilets or bathing in cesspools. What I'm saying is that an overly-sterile household and personal body environment is not natural and is actually a long-term risk factor. We live in a sea of microbes and to attempt to isolate ourselves from it entirely is impossible and, in excess, unwise. 

This is one factor in the 'herd immunity' that is so often referred to lately. 

Obviously there are limits to this. 

I bought and have used a mask from early January onward, despite all advice to the contrary from governments and other 'experts' such as the anti-mask contingent on TVF. I stocked up on essentials such as beer early and we go out as infrequently as possible. 

My comments are largely intended to frame the whole idea of infections and how immunity to common microbes is gained over time. The immune system is not a static organ; it is and must be continuously 'updated'. 

Disclaimer : I'm not a doctor, scientist, virologist, hygiene expert, soldier, sailor, or candlestick maker. I am however a well-known rocket surgeon and actually play one on TV.