Why is New Orleans' coronavirus death rate seven times New York's? Obesity is a factor

snoop1130

It's a really great question with little current scientific evidence to support why New Orleans death rates materially exceeds New York.

On the assumption that both populations mostly follow the SAD diet and are similarly obese, it could come down to differing lifestyle habits. As an aside, rice and beans provide a complete protein source. Add green veggies, a few fruits, and cost of food for the poorest is low and should be manageable.

The three main USA killers are heart attacks, strokes and cancer, and obese people are at a high risk of blocked arterial plaque which the Covid19 virus could exploit on its journey to the lungs. Which still doesn't explain why New Orleans has a higher mortality rate. N.O. county also has a low smoking rate, so that's not an answer.

While race could be a genetic factor there are twice as many black americans in N.Y. state than in Louisiana. So no answer there.

i would suggest that the health care in N.Y. is far more capable of prolonging life than N.O. - and more financially accessible by the New Yorkers. Being poor in N.O. would hinder their recovery if they cannot afford the meds.

Just now, stephenterry said:

It's a really great question with little current scientific evidence to support why New Orleans death rates materially exceeds New York.

On the assumption that both populations mostly follow the SAD diet and are similarly obese, it could come down to differing lifestyle habits. As an aside, rice and beans provide a complete protein source. Add green veggies, a few fruits, and cost of food for the poorest is low and should be manageable.

The three main USA killers are heart attacks, strokes and cancer, and obese people are at a high risk of blocked arterial plaque which the Covid19 virus could exploit on its journey to the lungs. Which still doesn't explain why New Orleans has a higher mortality rate. N.O. county also has a low smoking rate, so that's not an answer.

While race could be a genetic factor there are twice as many black americans in N.Y. state than in Louisiana. So no answer there.

i would suggest that the health care in N.Y. is far more capable of prolonging life than N.O. - and more financially accessible by the New Yorkers. Being poor in N.O. would hinder their recovery if they cannot afford the meds.

They're not similarly obese. 

2012-04-11-Screenshot20120411at2.28.22PM.png

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/poverty-obesity_b_1417417

As for African American population  it's 

25.1 percent for NY City

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City

and 60.1 percent for New Orleans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_large_African-American_populations

17 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

New Orleans has a terribly corrupt government. I expect that contributes in some way to this outcome.  All my favorite places have corrupt governments. New Orleans, Italy, Thailand.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

If it was my time and I had to go, New Orleans is the place I would choose. Most fun, and best food to be had on the American continent.  RIP Ellis Marsalis:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/02/825717204/ellis-marsalis-patriarch-of-new-orleans-most-famous-musical-family-has-died

Your recollections of old fun-time New Orleans are the stuff of nostalgia now.

The problems go far beyond a corrupt government.

It's a dysfunctional urban society that is dominated by a criminal underclass.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

George Carlin was a brilliant guy. But I'm not aware that he published any research on the subject. The case seems increasingly clear that one of the major causes of obesity is overmedication by antibiotics.

Antibiotics 'linked to childhood obesity'

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-29409087

Antibiotics cause obesity? 

Then it must be coincidental that they eat like pigs as well.

5 hours ago, bristolboy said:

They're not similarly obese. 

2012-04-11-Screenshot20120411at2.28.22PM.png

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/poverty-obesity_b_1417417

As for African American population  it's 

25.1 percent for NY City

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City

and 60.1 percent for New Orleans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_large_African-American_populations

You need to take into account that there are nearly 3 times as as many black people (c.3 million) in N.Y state than (c.1.4 m) in Louisiana. So the above percentages are misleading for numbers of death comparison purposes. I got caught out on that earlier on today.

And to clarify 'similarly obese', as in equality of weight. 

11 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

You need to take into account that there are nearly 3 times as as many black people (c.3 million) in N.Y state than (c.1.4 m) in Louisiana. So the above percentages are misleading for numbers of death comparison purposes. I got caught out on that earlier on today.

And to clarify 'similarly obese', as in equality of weight. 

But we're talking about mortality rate, not totals. So if obesity is a factor, than the higher rate of obesity in N.O. is also a factor. And if race is a factor and being black means you're more likely to succumb to Covid (I'm not maintaining that's the case) then once again the would tend to make the mortality rate higher in N.O.

18 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

But we're talking about mortality rate, not totals. So if obesity is a factor, than the higher rate of obesity in N.O. is also a factor. And if race is a factor and being black means you're more likely to succumb to Covid (I'm not maintaining that's the case) then once again the would tend to make the mortality rate higher in N.O.

Obesity rates could be a correlation effect, as could race differences, certainly IMO, but the numbers are so skewed it's reasonable to conclude that other life factors are in play - e.g. poorer people are less able (or willing) to have Medicare insurance to pay for life-saving treatment. 

It would be of educational interest, IMO - and that's not dismissing the seriousness of this virus's ability to cause premature deaths in so many people. Very sad. 

Edited by stephenterry
add

6 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Obesity rates could be a correlation effect, as could race differences, certainly IMO, but the numbers are so skewed it's reasonable to conclude that other life factors are in play - e.g. poorer people are less able (or willing) to have Medicare insurance to pay for life-saving treatment. 

It would be of educational interest, IMO - and that's not dismissing the seriousness of this virus's ability to cause premature deaths in so many people. Very sad. 

Actually, the poorest Louisianans are eligible for the ACA's expanded Medicaid program. And there are lots of Louisianans who meet the criteria for eligibility! Go Obamacare!

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Actually, the poorest Louisianans are eligible for the ACA's expanded Medicaid program. And there are lots of Louisianans who meet the criteria for eligibility! Go Obamacare!

Even more puzzling, then? Come on then - give your opinion on why the N.O. death rates are higher than N.Y. Then I can reciprocate. 

Of course obesity is a factor, as is number of smokers, overall health, etc.  148,000 people will die of lung cancer in the USA this year, and 80% of them are voluntary smokers.  now add in horrible diets, obesity, lack of physical fitness, diminished lung capacity far below anything they may have had in high school or college, and the list goes on.  The Boy Scout Motto of the past:  "Be Prepared" has been lost to time as was the old saying "An apple a day keeps the doctor away".   Millions of people abused their health for years and decades and now when under stress from some virus or bacteria, things get tough.   I hope the world wakes up to what preventive health care really means, but it won't.

Mostly because all data and stats are wrong. The higher rate of deaths is caused by the fact that the population in NO is much more infected, but not all the infected are tested. Same situation as Northern Italy. Many people there don't get tested unless they have breathing issues. Many people has corona without being tested so they are not accounted in the statistics. Virtually, If all the infected could be tested, then the death rate would be much lower (and correct)

On 4/2/2020 at 6:44 AM, Basil B said:

And nothing to do with the ethnic demographics and poverty??? 

The article mentions obesity. New Orleans has a high black population, which statistically is the most obese demographic in the US. We're no longer allowed to cite such facts so directly.

18 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Duh, New York didn't have a Mardi Gras parade, think that may have had something to do with the difference   

Yeah, but New York political hacks did encourage everyone ignore coronavirus "misinformation" and celebrate Chinese New Year nine days after the Trump administration declared a national health emergency. So there's that.

On 4/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, bartolo57 said:

I think the Thai diet and general fitness of Thai people has held them in good stead with this vicious virus. The American diet however will prove the absolute opposite. 

From what I see they can't  walk  more than 1  cm when they are  out.

• Like 1