The Beatles at 60: In times of trouble, listening to their music is like returning to the Bible

snoop1130

The Beatles at 60: In times of trouble, listening to their music is like returning to the Bible

By Lucy Jones

beatles.jpg

The Beatles celebrate the completion of their new album, 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', in 1967 ( Getty Images )

The Beatles formed nearer in time to the Spanish Flu (1918 -1920) than our current Covid-19 pandemic.

This year is the 60th anniversary of the band’s formation but, weirdly in some ways, I’m listening to their music now more than ever. 

As the Arts continues to be affected by Covid-19 – festivals cancelled, shows postponed, releases pushed back – the one thing we have some control over is what we listen to, read or watch at home.

Music, as we all know, can affect our mood in multivalent ways. 

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/beatles-60-anniversary-john-lennon-paul-mccartney-george-harrison-ringo-starr-a9441406.html

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Music, as we all know, can affect our mood in multivalent ways. 

Very true, but for me its deep house and trance in the main, and then where the mood takes me. Happy listening.

"The Beatles formed nearer in time to the Spanish Flu (1918 -1920) than our current Covid-19 pandemic."   Who ever wrote this was definitely not a Beatles fan.  Most of them were born in the 40's and the band formed in the mid to late 50's.  And now their in the 70's.  Jeez. 

Edited by khaowong1
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, nausea said:

Beatles music is a phase you go through. A bit like Yes or Genesis, if you come from my generation, b.1955.

I have some Beatles on my playlist. 

I was never that fond of Beatles at that time – I'm a 1949'er – more a Rolling Stones and like, rebellionist; however I did go to their only concert in Denmark in 1964, even in the VIP-lounge up front; the truth is that I was invited for free, later I was however happy that I did attend.

Today I find their songs, even the older ones from "Rubber Soul" and onward, a lot more interesting than ever before, and realize how great their musically genius was; together, not when later separated.

However, I've always be hit by their lyrics, and the story – or message – they passed on; probably mainly John Lennon's work.

And yes @Peterw42, the film "Yesterday" was a great fun movie that gave their songs a reprise...????

It was my teen daughter that persuaded me, she's Beatles-fan...????

• Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, khunPer said:

I was never that fond of Beatles at that time – I'm a 1949'er – more a Rolling Stones and like, rebellionist; however I did go to their only concert in Denmark in 1964, even in the VIP-lounge up front; the truth is that I was invited for free, later I was however happy that I did attend.

Today I find their songs, even the older ones from "Rubber Soul" and onward, a lot more interesting than ever before, and realize how great their musically genius was; together, not when later separated.

However, I've always be hit by their lyrics, and the story – or message – they passed on; probably mainly John Lennon's work.

And yes @Peterw42, the film "Yesterday" was a great fun movie that gave their songs a reprise...????

It was my teen daughter that persuaded me, she's Beatles-fan...????

I hated everything after and including Sgt Pepper.

They went from a truly great pop group playing enjoyable songs to a collection of drug addled weirdos making music that is never played in public any more and will vanish into nothing once the last person that liked it dies.

Never let if be said that LSD is harmless.

The Stones, on the other hand, stuck to their roots and remain loved by millions, though I chuckle to remember Mick saying that he couldn't imagine still being in the band as an "older" person.

I did enjoy the movie.

• Confused 1

On 4/4/2020 at 1:32 PM, car720 said:

I seem to remember Chuck Berry being in there somewhere.

Had he been white he'd be a hero of rock and roll.

Springsteen has an amusing story of standing in for his backing band when they didn't turn up.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

The sounds of my early teens 

Now I luv to hear The MonaLisa Twins, 2 Austrian girls who sing so much of the Greatests early records.

I do wonder at just how the Beatles songwriters had such a deep view into society, as it was back then, before the Swinging Sixties kicked off.

john

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hated everything after and including Sgt Pepper.

They went from a truly great pop group playing enjoyable songs to a collection of drug addled weirdos making music that is never played in public any more and will vanish into nothing once the last person that liked it dies.

Never let if be said that LSD is harmless.

The Stones, on the other hand, stuck to their roots and remain loved by millions, though I chuckle to remember Mick saying that he couldn't imagine still being in the band as an "older" person.

I did enjoy the movie.

Well, Mick Jagger seemed to have been wrong in his predictions...:whistling:

I believe that The Beatles most selling album ever is "Abbey Road", and that came after Sgt. Pepper, which by the way included a hit like "With A Little Help From My Friends".

"Let It Be"and "Hey Jude" are also from post "Pepper era", as well as a number of other Beatles-evergreens.

But we all have different opinions and taste, as some of us might – like myself – change over time.

In my opinion, what makes Sgt. Pepper, and other Beatles-work from Rubber Soul and onward, so exiting is the lyrics, which seems to include some kind of general message or story, or inspired by a couple of books.

Stones had a similar period like Beatles' Sgt Pepper era, with the album "Their Satanic Majesties Request", with the Beatles faces covered in the 3D-foreground in photos from "Magical Mystery Tour", which was released just 10 days before...

81vtxDgXYFL._SL1000_.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, I got into them long after they were famous, brilliant stuff. Haven't listened to them in decades. When I hear it I know it, don't ask me to name the album though. It's like a phase you go through, like your rock n' roll phase, your Tamla phase, your Jazz phase, your classical phase, etc., etc. No doubt there's a whole new generation out there waiting to open up this chocolate box of delights. We all start from ground zero. No-one starts out dancing quadrilles, something my generation might take into account when criticizing the musical tastes of the young.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vogie said:

Paul McCartney wrote the Rolling Stones first hit single, 'I Wanna be Your Man' and who knows without the Beatles intervention there might not have been any Rolling Stones, just saying.????

Believe the Stones first hit was "Not Fade Away", their first single was "Come On".

"I wanna be your man" was recorded by both Stones and Beatles, but I don't remember it as a big hit for either of the band; I think Beatles only included the title on an album.

• Like 1

Being born in '47 we waited for so long to hear good stuff , in America there was   EG Little Richard , Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis.  We had Cliff Richard going on a summer holiday and Billy Fury , Marty Wild , awful .

The Beatles came along and that is what we were waiting for. 3 on guitars and a drummer.  Followed by  The Kinks , The Hollies and many more.

But Queen were and still are bigger. My daughter born in '76 still thinks they are the best and hardly a day goes by when I don't listen to Queen.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Believe the Stones first hit was "Not Fade Away", their first single was "Come On".

"I wanna be your man" was recorded by both Stones and Beatles, but I don't remember it as a big hit for either of the band; I think Beatles only included the title on an album.

Yes you are correct Chuck Berrys "Come On" was their first hit single, it reached number 21 in the charts followed by "I Wanna be your Man", which reached 12 in the charts for the Stones, Not Fade Away followed later. 

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Yes you are correct Chuck Berrys "Come On" was their first hit single, it reached number 21 in the charts followed by "I Wanna be your Man", which reached 12 in the charts for the Stones, Not Fade Away followed later. 

...and ranked number 3...????

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

My daughter born in '76 still thinks they are the best and hardly a day goes by when I don't listen to Queen.

My daughter born in 2005 is Queen fan, she loved the movie, but also The Beatles' – the original songs, not covers like Joe Cocker – but both she and I are also fans of new stuff...????

Edited by khunPer

21 hours ago, vogie said:

Paul McCartney wrote the Rolling Stones first hit single, 'I Wanna be Your Man' and who knows without the Beatles intervention there might not have been any Rolling Stones, just saying.????

"I Wanna Be Your Man" is a Lennon–McCartney-penned song recorded and released as a single by the Rolling Stones, and then recorded by the Beatles. The song was primarily written by Paul McCartney, and finished by Lennon and McCartney in the corner of a room while Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were talking. Never any doubt that McCartney is a songwriter extraordinaire,  but The Stones were the artists.

2 minutes ago, car720 said:

"I Wanna Be Your Man" is a Lennon–McCartney-penned song recorded and released as a single by the Rolling Stones, and then recorded by the Beatles. The song was primarily written by Paul McCartney, and finished by Lennon and McCartney in the corner of a room while Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were talking. Never any doubt that McCartney is a songwriter extraordinaire,  but The Stones were the artists.

Both groups were phonominal and although the media wanted us to believe that they hated each other, they were at the time very good friends. I had posters of the Beatles and the Stones on my bedroom wall as a teenager in the sixties. 

Although my father shuddered when the Beatles first came on the scene with their 'long hair' can you imagine his dismay when the Stones followed, I won't even mention the Kinks.

As an aside Mick Jaggers wealth is estimated to be the same as Ringo Starrs at 36 millionish, whilst Paul McCartney is estimated to be worth 1.2 billion, nice work if you can get it.????

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Both groups were phonominal and although the media wanted us to believe that they hated each other, they were at the time very good friends. I had posters of the Beatles and the Stones on my bedroom wall as a teenager in the sixties. 

Although my father shuddered when the Beatles first came on the scene with their 'long hair' can you imagine his dismay when the Stones followed, I won't even mention the Kinks.

As an aside Mick Jaggers wealth is estimated to be the same as Ringo Starrs at 36 millionish, whilst Paul McCartney is estimated to be worth 1.2 billion, nice work if you can get it.????

Don't forget The Who.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 7:22 PM, khunPer said:

In my opinion, what makes Sgt. Pepper, and other Beatles-work from Rubber Soul and onward, so exiting is the lyrics, which seems to include some kind of general message or story, or inspired by a couple of books.

Of course everyone will probably have a different opinion to myself, but I don't listen to the words on pop songs. I have them on as a background to my life, not as part of my life. If they don't make me feel good not interested.

LOL. Love me do is now playing on the radio. Lovely song, makes me feel happy. Wish they had always played that great Hamburg music that made them famous.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, car720 said:

I liked Paul again when he went back to pop roots with Wings.

I feel sorry for him as he had bad luck with women. He should have stuck with Jane Asher, IMO. At least he hasn't made another mistake and got married again. I doubt he has any trouble picking up a bit of casual if wanted.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 5:54 PM, Inn Between said:

I don't think it's fair to insult the Beatles by comparing them to the Bible. The Beatles have much better messages to offer humankind. 

Who talked about the Bible – apart from John Lennon's own comparison with Jesus...????

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Who talked about the Bible – apart from John Lennon's own comparison with Jesus...????

Whoever wrote the idiotic title for this thread. Didn't you read the heading for this before making your comment?  

"...listening to their music is LIKE RETURNING TO THE BIBLE" 

Do you catch on now? 

Edited by Inn Between
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inn Between said:

Whoever wrote the idiotic title for this thread. Didn't you read the heading for this before making your comment?  

"...listening to their music is LIKE RETURNING TO THE BIBLE" 

Do you catch on now? 

I read it long time ago, sorry, I already forgot that part of the title. Agree with your first comment "The Beatles have much better messages to offer humankind. "