Affirmation of freedom to marry can reuse?

Good day

I presently have a one year marriage visa for Thailand in good standing. In a few months, I will be applying for my first one year extension.

One of the documents required is a "Affirmation of freedom to marry" document, even though I will have been married for over one year with Thai wife. I Have Thai a flowery marriage Cert.

Being that I have been married with Thai wife the past year, can I use the Affirmation of freedom to marry document from first successful application to get one year? 

Or do I have to go to US embassy again and pay $50 again for this document?

I understand having this document the first year, but not the second year

Does anyone have an up to date list of documents required to get extension?

Warm Regards

6 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Others might know better, but (I think) you need another document from your local authority saying you are still married. It must be dated same day as you apply for your extension.

That is a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry. Thais is done at a Amphoe by requesting a printout of it for a fee of about 20 baht that is stamped, signed and dated. If divorced the print out could not be done.

At most offices it can be done about 30 days before you apply. I am only aware of one odd office that wants one done the day before the application is done.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry. Thais is done at a Amphoe by requesting a printout of it for a fee of about 20 baht that is stamped, signed and dated. If divorced the print out could not be done.

At most offices it can be done about 30 days before you apply. I am only aware of one odd office that wants one done the day before the application is done.

Yep. I copped for a bad one. Had to be dated that day. Got another one next day and the office didn't date it. Rejected again. Chaiyaphum.

That is a commercial website of Siam Legal.

Often known to give incorrect information.

An 'affirmation of freedom to marriage' was the declaration document you originally made at your Embassy in order to present at your Amphoe to get married, which the Amphoe keeps.

What you do need apart from your marriage certificate is an update Kor Ror 2, as already mention by UJ.

When you married you were handed a marriage certificate and the registration document (Kor Ror 2).

This is the document both you and your wife signed as part of the marriage registration procedure.

When applying for an extension based on marriage, Immigration request an updated copy as proof that since marriage you haven't divorced, therefore still legally married.

You can obtain an updated KR2 from any Amphoe.

11 hours ago, david2923 said:

I asked Thai wife about Kor Ror 2. Is there a translation for this Kor Ror? She does not seem to know those words 

This from the top of one.

image.png.38ef85a8b56785228f667d5695f2e245.png

You probably got a copy of yours when you registered your marriage.

In the future, if needed, you should know that Kor Ror 2 is one of the documents you can get in English language at any Amphoe or District Office. No need to translate the Thai one if you can produce an English one (for some countries).

Edited by bbz404

23 hours ago, david2923 said:

Or do I have to go to US embassy again and pay $50 again for this document?

How could they give you one again if you are already married?  Or do they not even check and just take your word for it?

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Why the hell do they want an Affirmation? You can't get married without it so clearly it existed. Ridiculous! OTT as usual.

They are checking you are still married. Not that anyone does check. They just run a copy off sign it and date.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Why the hell do they want an Affirmation? You can't get married without it so clearly it existed. Ridiculous! OTT as usual.

In the past they only wanted it for the first extension. They wanted it to confirm your marriage registration was not done under the table.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In the past they only wanted it for the first extension. They wanted it to confirm your marriage registration was not done under the table.

Thanks for that Joe. This seems like just another item to add to the paranoia that exists regarding a foreigner marrying a Thai.  I got married recently and the differences in the process from my previous marriage are marked.

I was aware of some of the changes so was prepared but I wasn't aware of the difficulty in actually registering your marriage once all the paperwork is done.  Bangrak Amphur only accepts 5 foreign/Thai marriages per day and those are usually pre booked. We were there before 8.30am and all slots were gone. We had to ring round the other Amphurs and eventually found one that could register us that day.

A few years ago some kind Indian gentlemen faked some documents for the marriage process. I believe that when this came to light, the manager of the Amphur where it was discovered was fired for accepting fake documents - how would he know?  That sent shock waves around all other Amphurs and for a while, some of them refused to conduct a foreign/Thai marriage, full stop.  That seems to have eased now but there are more hoops to jump through.

Now it seems, the paranoia continues after you're married.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I wasn't aware of the difficulty in actually registering your marriage once all the paperwork is done.

Here for a change is a good news tale - We had no difficulty registering our marriage and have never had a problem obtaining an extension based on marriage. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

A few years ago some kind Indian gentlemen faked some documents for the marriage process. I believe that when this came to light, the manager of the Amphur where it was discovered was fired for accepting fake documents - how would he know?  That sent shock waves around all other Amphurs and for a while, some of them refused to conduct a foreign/Thai marriage, full stop.  That seems to have eased now but there are more hoops to jump through.

There were 127-fake marriages involving Indian nationals brokered by a Thai-Indian. Each lady was paid between 8K-10K to marry for the sole purpose of getting a marriage visa to these Indians. Some women married multiple times to different persons to increase her payout. One 70-year old women applied for a marriage visa for her 24 year old Indian husband based on a fake marriage.

Edited by Mulambana
  • Thanks 1