PTT to sell 70% alcohol at all its Bangkok petrol stations from April 4

snoop1130

By The Nation

800_bcb65b0ce5f943c.jpg

PTT Oil and Retail Business (PTTOR) will sell 100,000 bottles of 70 per cent alcohol through all PTT petrol stations in Bangkok at a special price as of April 4 before expanding sales to its petrol stations nationwide.

PTTOR officials said the alcohol had been procured from manufacturers that have registered with the Food and Drug Administration.

“This alcohol can be used for cleaning hands and surfaces and should cut down on germs by 99.99 per cent. A one-litre bottle of alcohol will be sold at Bt110,” they said.

“Sales are limited to one bottle per person, provided they show their ID card, driver’s licence, civil servant card or a card that carries the buyer’s ID number. Buyers will have to fill out a form with their personal information and keep at least a metre’s distance from each other while queuing up.”

Officials said the alcohol will be sold from 9am to noon either in front of the petrol station’s office or inside Jiffy convenience stores at PTT petrol stations on the following dates:

April 4: All PTT stations in Bangkok.

April 15: All PTT stations in Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Pathum Thani.

April 17: All PTT stations in the East of Thailand.

April 23: All PTT stations in the South.

April 29: All PTT stations in the Northeast.

May 1: All PTT stations in Central provinces.

May 3: All PTT stations in the North and West of Thailand.

“Those interested in buying the alcohol can call the 1365 hotline,” officials said, adding that this move is part of operations to mitigate the spread of Covid-19.

“PTTOR wants to express concern for Thai people nationwide and wishes the country is able to overcome the situation as soon as possible.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385293

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-02
  • Like 1

Why do they not promote the use of bleach solution for cleaning? A two litre jug of Chlorox is cheaper than their 'alcohol'. A one percent solution should kill 99 percent of bugs.

Presumably this 'alcohol' is denatured or is it (more likely) ethanol?

• Like 1

I can get one liter 99.9 % ethanol for just 100 THB at one of my suppliers for one of my companies. It used to be pure ethatnol but nowadays it has an additive to prevent people drinking it.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

How nice is that from them to do that and Help people like that. Absolutely Ridiculous Are they for real? It should Suffice to Show ones Passport. Instead of all the nonsense one has to go trough. Thai Logic at it's best. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If it's been denatured with alkali or phenol, not a good idea to drink it.

Are there really people who believe that this alcohol could be consumed with no harm :crazy:

For them I know a much cheaper alternative.

Buy E85 fuel. 85 percent for only 15 Baht/liter :cheesy:

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Why do they not promote the use of bleach solution for cleaning? A two litre jug of Chlorox is cheaper than their 'alcohol'. A one percent solution should kill 99 percent of bugs.

Bleach is not meant to clean human skin while alcohol combined with lotion or aloe vera becomes hand sanitizer.

70% isn't the best though as hand sanitizer should contain 60%+ to be effective to kill viruses.  Typical hand sanitizer is made with 2/3 90%+ alcohol and mixed with 1/3 aloe or lotion.

Edited by Iron Tongue

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

How nice is that from them to do that and Help people like that. Absolutely Ridiculous Are they for real? It should Suffice to Show ones Passport. Instead of all the nonsense one has to go trough. Thai Logic at it's best. 

at least it is available to foreigner.  Unlike their loyalty Blue card which is for Thai only

23 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I've looked for bleach such as chlorox here for years. Never found it. They only have the heavily perfumed diluted stuff for washing clothes. 

Please post where you found it. 

Thanks

On 4/3/2020 at 10:41 AM, digger70 said:

It's an art form how every good idea in Thailand gets walked two steps back and becomes nightmare in bureaucracy once a few meetings of understanding are held.  The touch of somchai, amazing Thailand.  

Edited by dsf9
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 8:49 AM, Tops said:

I can get one liter 99.9 % ethanol for just 100 THB at one of my suppliers for one of my companies. It used to be pure ethatnol but nowadays it has an additive to prevent people drinking it.

Alcool sold for flex fuel cars in Brazil used to be 100% but now they add a bit of gasoline to stop people drinking it.

sao-paulo-gas-station-gasoline-or-alcoho

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 1