GERD / Acid Reflux

thequietman

I have had it a few times and it feels like fluid at back of throat. Before took the usual Amogin-gel and antacids, but this time, it's a little different. Slight wheezing, slight shortness of breath( can still do rigorous exercise every day). Doc gave me Ratic 150 mg ( has been recalled today by FDA) and Air-X minty anti-flatuence type things. 

It is improving, but have it about 3 weeks now (started taking the medication 5 days ago)

Going to see Doc tomorrow and ask to change from Ratic to something else. Should I be asking for PPI to rid myself of this uncomfortable feeling? Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

PM Sheryl with your symptoms. Best chance of an informed opinion.

I have GERD, use pantoprazole. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't need it if i ate early and avoided alcohol.

Keep a bottle of water by your bedside to wash down any acid reflux that occurs during the night. Leaving acid reflux in the throat may result in esophageal cancer.

OK, few thoughts.  I've been down this road.

1.  NO SUGAR.  cut as much out as possible.  

2.  Tesco has some medicine for like 80 baht, green/yellow box.  sorry, can't be more helpful.  tell them in bad thai you eat food with lots of oil.  anyhow...

3.  water

4.  vitamin d, help the immune system

5.  NO DAIRY

i went from, "OMG, I'm getting old.. <deleted> is this..."  1 week later, felt great

4 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

OK, few thoughts.  I've been down this road.

1.  NO SUGAR.  cut as much out as possible.  

2.  Tesco has some medicine for like 80 baht, green/yellow box.  sorry, can't be more helpful.  tell them in bad thai you eat food with lots of oil.  anyhow...

3.  water

4.  vitamin d, help the immune system

5.  NO DAIRY

i went from, "OMG, I'm getting old.. <deleted> is this..."  1 week later, felt great

Seriously, no dairy! I have cereal every morning and I love drinking milk (zero fat) Only oil I consume is olive oil, which i use to make eggs in the morning. Sugar, don't take it. Drink about 5 litres of water a day.

Vitamin D, get loads from the sun here, but take a multi vitamin twice a day.

Work out on a spin bike inside due to the pollution outside, and just read that I shouldn't after having a meal, because the bending over pushes acid up into the throat. Need to eat after I work out. ????

I had the food stuck in throat feeling, but that has generally gone. Sore throat has subsided also. It's the slight shortness of breathe that's annoying me now. Apparently, it's the brain telling the oesophagus to close a little due to the acid in the throat. Took PPI's before and it cleared up, so may have to ask for those again. ????

2 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Started eating real butter again after 2-3 years. Could that be the problem? It's the only thing that has changed in my diet!

Butter is much higher in saturated fats than margarines, which are usually vegetable oil based. Saturated fats are more difficult for bile to emulsify.

I was mistakenly told I had GERD and I went on the strict diet that is on the internet. I went from 168 lbs to 146 lbs. Found out I had a different issue, but was very happy losing the weight. Got to be careful with the acid as it will eat your teeth. People on the drugs might be the way to go.

I think the biggest problem is not being able to 'burp'.

Sleep on your left side and as soon as you are woken up with the uncomfortableness of it, sit up and burp. Then have a good swig of water.

Could be a small hernia at the entrance to the stomach that leaks out the acid bile. If it persists, think about a gastroscopy. That would confirm it. If left it can be the caust of Barretts disease.

Edited by ianezy0

Miracid capsules work for me. Taken one hour before eating and go easy on the beer. Endoscopy before revealed a small ulcer at the bottom of the oesophorgus, which was cleared by antibiotics but reflux is ongoing so Miracid regularly. About 70b for 10 caps

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

All your Reflux problems would stop if only you could sleep standing up.

You think the OP is a horse? You certainly do come up with some daft posts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For me, as soon as I exaggerate the diet eating too much dairy, oil , coffee ,  alcohol , spices, I’m bloated and full of gas. Replace milk with almond milk or good soja milk. Avoid sugar. Meteospasmyl seem to work for me, three a day at mealtimes, no alcohol. A good walk after meals helps too. I eat porridge in the morning with half almond milk half water, not too thick. 

Do you feel bloated, if so it's possible you have a peptic ulcer?. The technical check is sticking a borescope down your throat and looking for the ulcer, (ok can only remember engineering term). They can can check by sound (like they did with me) and see the build up of gas. I mentioned I had this in a local pharmacy and I was recommended a drug called Lokit, I bought some but I did check online before I took any but I highly recommend it and it is supposed to be taken twice a day after meals but I found it works so well I only take one capsule a day. When Sheryl posts she can shoot the rest of us down in flames but when I was doing some online research it did say the same symptoms can be stomach cancer so please take medical advice from an expert.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-3766-143/omeprazole-oral/omeprazole-delayed-release-capsule-oral/details

Get tested for Helicopbacter Pylori

Get an ultrasound done on your gall bladder

taking proton pump inhibitors all the time aint good in the long term
HP makes the stomach produce excess acid loves it, burrows into stomach wall gives you ulcers 

if you got gall stone problem can also produce excess acid

7 hours ago, thequietman said:

Seriously, no dairy! I have cereal every morning and I love drinking milk (zero fat) Only oil I consume is olive oil, which i use to make eggs in the morning. Sugar, don't take it. Drink about 5 litres of water a day.

Work out on a spin bike inside due to the pollution outside, and just read that I shouldn't after having a meal, because the bending over pushes acid up into the throat. Need to eat after I work out. ????

I had the food stuck in throat feeling, but that has generally gone. Sore throat has subsided also. It's the slight shortness of breathe that's annoying me now. Apparently, it's the brain telling the oesophagus to close a little due to the acid in the throat. Took PPI's before and it cleared up, so may have to ask for those again. ????

Milk here i think is full of preservatives, it was a contributing factor to my gastritis so i only have a very small amount for tea and coffee now, i use Soy milk for cereals.

PPIs not so easy to give up but i finally stopped 3 months ago.

The breathing problem could just be mild anxiety caused by Corona worry or reflux worry or anything

PPI will remove the discomfort but not stop the reflux. And there are soem down sides to long term PPI use.

To actually stop the reflux:

- lose weight if you are at all overweight (this alone will stop it for many people)

- elevate the head of the bed or use  pillows to elevate the upper part of your body (head, neck and upper chest)

-avoid lying down for at least 2 hours after eating

-make your last meal of the day a light one. If necessary, have a larger meal say 2 hours before that then a light snack

-avoid or minimize caffeine, this includes chocolate, colas as well as coffee and tea

-by trial and error see if there are other foods that seem to trigger this. Everyone is different in this regard

Please ignore posts about h. pylori, gastroscopy, gal bladder disease etc these are unrelated to GERD.  Many people confuse gastritis and GERD. Utterly different things though of course it is possible to have both. You do nto mention any symptoms suggestive of gastritis.

What is of some concern is your mention of breathing difficulties.  This could be due to GERD but should be checked out b ya doctor to be sure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

What is of some concern is your mention of breathing difficulties.  This could be due to GERD but should be checked out b ya doctor to be sure.

Thanks Sheryl. The mild breathing difficulty started the same time as the feeling of food stuck in my throat and the reflux.

On lying down at night on my left side the slight wheezing feeling almost disappears and only starts again when I get up in the morning and move around. Incidently, the wheezing feeling started after a workout, as did the reflux.

Doc gave me Sanofi & Motidom this morning. I will adjust my diet and see how I go over the next few days. Don't really want to go see a ENT doctor in a large clinic with the Covid issues at the moment.

I have found for me personnally, a combination of many of the above suggestions have helped.

I was first prescribed Miracid and an inhaler from my doctor which helped but I have never wanted to be reliant on pills etc if there is anpther option.

Caffeine, Dairy, Spicy and Alcohol have all seemed to contribute to mine so these are the groups i have targetted

I have cut down on caffeine by reducing the amount i drink from around 5-6 cups a day to 2-3 cups of De-caf.

Gave up drinking spirits,(was partial to a good single malt) now only drink Heineken, again a lot less then previously. Still love spicy food and cheese and difficult to give up but have found  as long as i am not overdoing it or having a combination of my targeted triggers, i seem to be ok,     EG if going out for drinks i will not eat cheese or spicy foods that day.

Also to add,  after giving up smoking four years ago, i went from 78 to 84Kg,  this is also when my condition started (currently back down to 81.6)  so the extra pounds is probably the main cause

Are you taking medication for other issues other than for GERD's ?

I had this in the past when being treated for Parkinsons.
Of course as others have mentioned diet ( all aspects ) etc. can be a cause.
Stress too.
Good luck in finding the reason and suitable treatment.

19 hours ago, thequietman said:

The multi vitamin may be the problem C in excess is know to cause stomach problems, coffee late in the day does it for me and daily drinking alcohol after 10-14 days it kicks in and I have to stop.

Have you had your LOS checked (hiatal hernia?). My reflux is related to this, but I was refused an operation as I was told the risks of the op' far outweighed the risks of taking the PPI. My brother did have the op' and now has the most horrendous, hacking cough that has all but ruined his life.