BANGKOK
thequietman

GERD / Acid Reflux

I have had it a few times and it feels like fluid at back of throat. Before took the usual Amogin-gel and antacids, but this time, it's a little different. Slight wheezing, slight shortness of breath( can still do rigorous exercise every day). Doc gave me Ratic 150 mg ( has been recalled today by FDA) and Air-X minty anti-flatuence type things. 

It is improving, but have it about 3 weeks now (started taking the medication 5 days ago)

Going to see Doc tomorrow and ask to change from Ratic to something else. Should I be asking for PPI to rid myself of this uncomfortable feeling? Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

covid....   go to the hospital and get a test and get checked out.  Your health is important to us for Thaivisa postings.

• Like 2

Just now, steven100 said:

covid....   go to the hospital and get a test and get checked out.  Your health is important to us for Thaivisa postings.

Sensible answers please if at all possible. 😞

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

PM Sheryl with your symptoms. Best chance of an informed opinion.

I have GERD, use pantoprazole. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't need it if i ate early and avoided alcohol.

Keep a bottle of water by your bedside to wash down any acid reflux that occurs during the night. Leaving acid reflux in the throat may result in esophageal cancer.

OMG. PPI. YES YES YES. Wonder drug. Been on it for 12 years. Life would not be worth living without it. 20mg every morning,  30 mins before eating. Sorted. Eat and drink whatever I like. 

I am on Pariet 20mg for GORD currently (rabeprazole sodium, equivalent to 18.85 mg rabeprazole) which appears to be a different drug which might be an option.  

OK, few thoughts.  I've been down this road.

1.  NO SUGAR.  cut as much out as possible.  

2.  Tesco has some medicine for like 80 baht, green/yellow box.  sorry, can't be more helpful.  tell them in bad thai you eat food with lots of oil.  anyhow...

3.  water

4.  vitamin d, help the immune system

5.  NO DAIRY

i went from, "OMG, I'm getting old.. <deleted> is this..."  1 week later, felt great

4 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

OK, few thoughts.  I've been down this road.

1.  NO SUGAR.  cut as much out as possible.  

2.  Tesco has some medicine for like 80 baht, green/yellow box.  sorry, can't be more helpful.  tell them in bad thai you eat food with lots of oil.  anyhow...

3.  water

4.  vitamin d, help the immune system

5.  NO DAIRY

i went from, "OMG, I'm getting old.. <deleted> is this..."  1 week later, felt great

Seriously, no dairy! I have cereal every morning and I love drinking milk (zero fat) Only oil I consume is olive oil, which i use to make eggs in the morning. Sugar, don't take it. Drink about 5 litres of water a day.

Vitamin D, get loads from the sun here, but take a multi vitamin twice a day.

Work out on a spin bike inside due to the pollution outside, and just read that I shouldn't after having a meal, because the bending over pushes acid up into the throat. Need to eat after I work out. 🙂

I had the food stuck in throat feeling, but that has generally gone. Sore throat has subsided also. It's the slight shortness of breathe that's annoying me now. Apparently, it's the brain telling the oesophagus to close a little due to the acid in the throat. Took PPI's before and it cleared up, so may have to ask for those again. 😞

14 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

NO DAIRY

Started eating real butter again after 2-3 years. Could that be the problem? It's the only thing that has changed in my diet!

2 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Started eating real butter again after 2-3 years. Could that be the problem? It's the only thing that has changed in my diet!

Butter is much higher in saturated fats than margarines, which are usually vegetable oil based. Saturated fats are more difficult for bile to emulsify.

All your Reflux problems would stop if only you could sleep standing up.

• Like 2

caffeine.

Its the trigger for me.

I was mistakenly told I had GERD and I went on the strict diet that is on the internet. I went from 168 lbs to 146 lbs. Found out I had a different issue, but was very happy losing the weight. Got to be careful with the acid as it will eat your teeth. People on the drugs might be the way to go.

I think the biggest problem is not being able to 'burp'.

Sleep on your left side and as soon as you are woken up with the uncomfortableness of it, sit up and burp. Then have a good swig of water.

Posted (edited)

Could be a small hernia at the entrance to the stomach that leaks out the acid bile. If it persists, think about a gastroscopy. That would confirm it. If left it can be the caust of Barretts disease.

Edited by ianezy0