UK coronavirus death toll rises to 2,921, up 24% in a day

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Wow, UK isn't doing so hot. They have an 8.66% mortality rate.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Sadly, it's government once again. London Mayor Khan was telling people riding on the tube and being in large crowds was A-OK on March 3. Even on March 10, he said there was nothing to fear regarding using public transport.

One needn't wonder why certain countries and regions have high infection rates. Just look at the politicians who govern these areas and you'll find your answer.

At least the uk is being honest about its numbers unlike Thailand and France.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Better than France, Spain and Italy though

I believe it had a head start in those other countries. To accurately compare it's best to have a timeline dating from the earliest known cases of local transmission.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

UK is about 17,000 per year for flu...considering were only two months into this..that 3,000 in 10 months could dwarf 17,000

Fatality rate of almost 10% compared to 0.1% for seasonal flu. Wake up please. Yes the deaths may be by other causes but only brought on by having covid

The relatively high rate of COVID 19 in the UK, as in other countries, reflects its disproportionate toll of the elderly, particularly individuals with underlying health problems.

People above retirement age for around eighty percent of all deaths attributed to the virus - a fact which the fearmongering mainstream media seems reluctant to broadcast.

You may well be right about COVID 19 acting a contributory factor in some instances. However, dying with the virus is not the same as dying of it. However, this seems to be a common assumption - one which inevitably inflates the official pandemic death statistics.

Incidentally, the mortality rate for COVID 19 is thought to be roughly the same as that for a severe seasonal 'flu, according to Donald Trump's chief advisor on the pandemic, Dr Anthony Fauci.

https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/dr-fauci-nejm-editorial-suggests-covid-19-fatality-rates-may-be-10x-lower-official?utm_campaign=Daily Newsletter%3A Day After Boo

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let me put this in perspective for you.

Up until March 18th the Government has yet to order schools to be closed.

On March 3rd the UK was following PM Johnson’s ‘Herd Immunity’ experiment, a policy that did not change until 17th March.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/17/britain-uk-coronavirus-response-johnson-drops-go-it-alone/

Nothing Mayor Khan said on March 3 contradicts the policies set by central government.

OK, so the failure to manage the situation was at a national level in England. You win. I surrender.

Oh but wait... so you're saying Khan is simply a victim here? There was no reason to question any of the information being presented? The mayor of the biggest city in England was correct in simply regurgitating hat was spoon-fed to him and not question it? That seems a bit odd.

Edited by Crazy Alex
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

England?

Yep, surrender, you clearly lack some basic knowledge on what you are talking about.

Surely you can present an argument better than replacing the actual argument with a phony one about about the use of England versus UK, yes?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It wasn't an argument, it was an observation of fact written in black and white in your own post. 

OK, great! So let's just go along with you and say I was wrong to type "England" instead of "UK". You win again! Congrats.

Now proceed with your argument. Here, I'll even pick a starting point just to get things going. The UK's mortality rate is 8.8%- much higher than many other countries. Do you think Sadiq Khan knew something he wasn't telling the public when he was telling people it was safe to ride public transportation yet a the same time was called out for refusing to shake hands?

I believe a logical person would have a tough time believing taking public transportation is safe yet shaking hands isn't. How do you account for Khan's obvious conflict?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

OK, great! So let's just go along with you and say I was wrong to type "England" instead of "UK". You win again! Congrats.

Now proceed with your argument. Here, I'll even pick a starting point just to get things going. The UK's mortality rate is 8.8%- much higher than many other countries. Do you think Sadiq Khan knew something he wasn't telling the public when he was telling people it was safe to ride public transportation yet a the same time was called out for refusing to shake hands?

I believe a logical person would have a tough time believing taking public transportation is safe yet shaking hands isn't. How do you account for Khan's obvious conflict?

Refer #19, which was a response to your earlier misunderstanding that you now repeat here.

The Prime Minister and his Government set national policy - Khan's remarks were in alignment with the policy set by the PM and Government.

It's not at all difficult to understand.

22 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Ah, so the new line of deflection coming out of the US fringe right is to focus on the Muslim London Mayor. 

Got it. 

Tell me, what are they saying about conservative Australian PM insisting it was still okay for him to attend a football match on the 13th of March?

Or is there no mention of that as he’s a conservative evangelical? 

Asking for a friend...

Edited by samran
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Refer #19, which was a response to your earlier misunderstanding that you now repeat here.

The Prime Minister and his Government set national policy - Khan's remarks were in alignment with the policy set by the PM and Government.

It's not at all difficult to understand.

Great! So where's that link showing it was national policy to tell the public it was safe to travel on public transportation while refusing to shake hands.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, samran said:

Ah, so the new line of deflection coming out of the US fringe right is to focus on the Muslim London Mayor. 

Got it. 

Tell me, what are they saying about conservative Australian PM insisting it was still okay for him to attend a football match on the 13th of March?

Or is there no mention of that as he’s a conservative evangelical? 

Asking for a friend...

Ummmm well we're in a thread in which the topic is the coronavirus death toll in the UK. The US and Australia are irrelevant in this thread. As for "conservative evangelical", honestly I can't tell who you're talking about. Please read your post. You are all over the map and quite frankly are bordering on being incoherent.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It wasn't an argument, it was an observation of fact written in black and white in your own post. 

Oh, so we're going back to the nitpick game rather than debate substance. You are factually incorrect. I type, or write, in black, not black and white. OK, see how silly this is?

Now let's get back to the topic. Make your case. Let's see that link showing that encouraging the public to use public transportation while simultaneously refusing to shake hands is national policy. Do you or don't you have evidence to support your claim?

Edited by Crazy Alex
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Ummmm well we're in a thread in which the topic is the coronavirus death toll in the UK. The US and Australia are irrelevant in this thread. As for "conservative evangelical", honestly I can't tell who you're talking about. Please read your post. You are all over the map and quite frankly are bordering on being incoherent.

Don’t worry. You gave the expected answer. 

As for the incoherent jibe, that’s pretty rich coming from you...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bluedoc said:

At least the uk is being honest about its numbers unlike Thailand and France.

That's true. The UK has been very honest and up-front, which is highly commendable.

Honesty is not the problem. The problem is that there are only three ways to combat the virus:

1. Testing and isolating the infected

2. Clinical Management

3. Social distancing measures (curfews etc)

The UK was in the same position as South Korea and Germany when China published the genome of the virus. Neither had test kits. However in Germany and South Korea private companies started producing test kits as soon as the genome was available. Why this was not the case in the UK, with its strong pharmaceutical sector and tradition of medical research is hard to understand. That was the first mistake.

So since the UK did not have test kits it was obvious that testing and isolating the infected was not an option. This was further underlined by the fact that the NHS was underfunded, so no icu beds, ventilators etc. Therefore the UK was unable to pursue either testing and isolating the infected or clinical management to a meaningful level. This left social distancing.

Contrary to what ChomperHiggot asserts, the UK's problem is not the herd immunity approach, which the UK abandoned as soon as the bumbling Neil Ferguson presented a second revised paper.

The UK is not pursuing herd immunity now. It is pursuing a "supresssion" strategy, which is almost wholly based on social distancing which only has strong effect at the start of an outbreak. That was the second mistake.

However, the UK has now understood that testing is the most important strategy and is doing all it can to increase testing. They are having some problems in producing the test kits they promised, but meanwhile they are sending the tests to Germany:

"It was also revealed today that hundreds of NHS workers' coronavirus swabs have reportedly been flown to Germany because the results are coming back in half the time. 

Samples passed to Public Health England are believed to be taking up to four days to process but those on the Continent can come back in just two."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8182767/Scientist-casts-doubt-coronavirus-spread.html

I am sure everyone on here will applaud the European Union in assisting the UK in its time of need, won't you?

Edited by Logosone