BANGKOK
webfact

Two THAI flights from London found to be Covid-19 hotspots

Why wouldn't all the passengers be quarantined by the authorities?  Kind of blows my mind that they are "trusting" that people on those flights will actually self-quarantine. Sigh.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but isn't it also just as likely that they were infected by getting into a seat from some flying out of Thailand few hours earlier at Heathrow  ? Are they tracing all the people that flew out on the potentially infected plane ? No, thought not. 

Surly the cabin would have been disinfected before anyone was allowed to board.

Edited by Huckenfell

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

There was jurisdiction <deleted> up on that one, correct.

The ship staed that there no concerns, no person showing symptoms, big mistake.

NSW health took advise from Federal Border Force and no one tested, several deaths now.

So if need doctor letter it will not happen. 

IMO doctor letter good idea.

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Check you facts Yinn

Australia has very high test rate per capita

More than 260,000 coronavirus tests have been carried out across the country as Australia continues to respond to the spread of the deadly pandemic.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-02/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-1-per-cent-australia-population/12114004

I wrong. Good. 

I read old news, not know about update. Thankyou.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/17/australia-must-dramatically-expand-its-coronavirus-testing-regime-leading-virologist-says

15 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

Medical certificates and Insurance covering covid-19 came in on 22nd and I was unable to fly out with Qatar on 23rd from Lhr. Thai citizens also needed clearance from the Embassy and the ones travelling.

Is it mandatory to have a medical cert to board QATAR flights. 

1 hour ago, dslocum said:

Why wouldn't all the passengers be quarantined by the authorities?  Kind of blows my mind that they are "trusting" that people on those flights will actually self-quarantine. Sigh.

But they quarantine cruise ship passengers if one person becomes positive 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

But they quarantine cruise ship passengers if one person becomes positive 

Exactly!  And once they let them out of the airport, how many more people will the infected further infect on their way to their desinations?  Dumasses.

I'm beginning to think that this Government is actually a virus.  (OH, can I say that?)

Edited by dslocum

On 4/3/2020 at 3:42 AM, Metropolitian said:

No mentioning that the three are foreigners from UK.

So they were Thai who brought the virus with them?

It would seem unlikely they were non-Thai considering the stringent requirements which were in place to board then. Weren't the health certificate and insurance obligated then? (A health certificate requiring a Covid test that one couldn't easily obtain). So likely Thai, requiring only a fit to travel, obtained from the Thai Embassy?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Yinn said:

So if need doctor letter it will not happen. 

IMO doctor letter good idea.

Yinn it was a cruise ship. No testing kits or pathology lab. How would there have been the ability to certify clearance?

Generous of you to concede poor research

Edited by RJRS1301

On 4/3/2020 at 3:36 AM, jesimps said:

It doesn't matter what the nationality of the passengers were, the whole world caught it eventually from that "wet" market in Wuhan China, where they were selling bats, dogs and other exotic creatures for eating. Goodness knows why they should want to eat bats, probably something to do with sexual virility. The Thais should've banned all arrivals from China as soon as the virus was made public in my opinion.

The same thing can be said about the Thai wet markets where they also store and sell all kind of animals. Or the other wet markets spread across Asia. 

Maybe it's time to ban all those markets? 

4 minutes ago, Virt said:

The same thing can be said about the Thai wet markets where they also store and sell all kind of animals. Or the other wet markets spread across Asia. 

Maybe it's time to ban all those markets? 

there are "wet" markets across the world, in some countries it the main economy for the really impovrished to make money for the village,  and to obtain protein.

Regulation and hygiene  is required, also protection for endagered species being slaughtered.

Fresh fish markets are wet markets, but catch in many countries is tagged and can be traced to the source, allowing for transparency of trade, quota.

PNG nationals eat  bats, (have had flying fox soup>> delicious>> large slosh of scotch in it) but they are healthy ones, which are caught from "open jungles" not ones from cold damp caves, which may harbour disease.

Storage of meat animals is critical to health.

Banning will stop the trade, but regulation can improve handling and hygiene.

Look at some the appalling (by western standards) food handling in many Asianand African and Latin American countries, at least food cooked at high temp is controlling spread of infection, but cold food contamination rife.

Posted (edited)

Even though I'm only in my 30s and not exactly weak, this was one of the main factors for me returning home to the West after a decade of living in SE Asia. A global pandemic was almost certain in my mind, and so I didn't want to roll the dice and chance leaving the authorities in Thailand with my safety. We all know how Westerners are views by a large portion of the society, with dual pricing and everything else. When people get desperate for food and money, they often resort to extremes. In a developing nation this will be a far worse issue than the virus itself if things go on for an extended period of time. 

Edited by Mung