Two THAI flights from London found to be Covid-19 hotspots

webfact

34 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

BS. The virus wouldn't survive on the seats. Maybe fractions of RNA which is not living but dead! Not contagious at all. Same with door handles. Contact is only for seconds. So not contagious. Fear sometimes can block your brain.. ????

That is not the opinion of experts in infectious diseseases. SARS a corona virus greatest contagion, door knob, hand rails, then hand to mouth.

At this point, we don’t know the exact length of time that a COVID-19 droplet stays viable, according to says Debra Goff, Pharm.D., founding member of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and recent appointee to the World Health Organization antimicrobial stewardship program in low- and middle-income countries.

https://www.prevention.com/health/a31405079/how-long-does-coronavirus-live-on-surfaces/

“Human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces at room temperature for up to 9 days. At a temperature of 30°C [86°F] or more, the duration of persistence is shorter. Veterinary coronaviruses have been shown to persist even longer for 28 d[ays].”

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronaviruses-how-long-can-they-survive-on-surfaces#How-long-do-coronaviruses-persist?

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

That is not the opinion of experts in infectious diseseases. SARS a corona virus greatest contagion, door knob, hand rails, then hand to mouth.

At this point, we don’t know the exact length of time that a COVID-19 droplet stays viable, according to says Debra Goff, Pharm.D., founding member of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and recent appointee to the World Health Organization antimicrobial stewardship program in low- and middle-income countries.

https://www.prevention.com/health/a31405079/how-long-does-coronavirus-live-on-surfaces/

“Human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces at room temperature for up to 9 days. At a temperature of 30°C [86°F] or more, the duration of persistence is shorter. Veterinary coronaviruses have been shown to persist even longer for 28 d[ays].”

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronaviruses-how-long-can-they-survive-on-surfaces#How-long-do-coronaviruses-persist?

There are too many so called experts here on TV and in WHO. 

Many times already you could read contradicted statements. 

Concerning corona it's just out of vitro experience. 

However there are wider surveys from the beginning spreading in a hot spot in Germany. There They found out the results I mentioned above in vivo. 

Same in Italy. 

Many in the (now very multi-national) UK are stupid. However, I doubt that many UK citizens would be stupid enough to wing off to the l.o.s. for a holiday!

Perhaps the vast majority of passengers on this flight were Thais returning to their home country due to the many Thai restaurants and Thai stalls in markets being closed down and lack of work?  Much possibility of this?

As to the pundits/scientific experts on this site claiming the London virus is more severe than the Wuhan virus -- then they should be working in some laboratory or helping the WHO! To date, there is no scientific evidence that the London, Spanish, Italian, Wuhan virus' are any different!

Thailand let many Chinese into the country after the virus broke the news. Most countries have shut down their countries -- not just the capital. Thailand is getting to grips with it by limiting 7-11 opening times and imposing a night curfew! Wow!

Perhaps the ''real'' figures of those infected and the deaths will be released . . . eventually?  Well, maybe not -- we don't want to scare the public!

10 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

There are too many so called experts here on TV and in WHO. 

Many times already you could read contradicted statements. 

Concerning corona it's just out of vitro experience. 

However there are wider surveys from the beginning spreading in a hot spot in Germany. There They found out the results I mentioned above in vivo. 

Same in Italy. 

Did you read the last reference report, that was done on SARS so I doubt your expertise on this, sorry.

SARS is a corona and they have studied it and other corona for over a decade. Yes this one is different one, but many similarities to guide them 

What's more, SARS-CoV-2 RNA was found on "a variety of surfaces" in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic people who were infected with COVID-19 on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, up to 17 days after the passengers disembarked, according to a new analysis from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). However, this was before disinfection procedures took place and "data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces," according to the analysis. In other words, it's not clear if the viral particles on these surfaces could have infected people.

https://www.livescience.com/how-long-coronavirus-last-surfaces.html

Jury still out, but I would prefer personally eer on the side of caution

Edited by RJRS1301

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but isn't it also just as likely that they were infected by getting into a seat from some flying out of Thailand few hours earlier at Heathrow  ? Are they tracing all the people that flew out on the potentially infected plane ? No, thought not. 

Unlikely due to the incubation period of a virus.  

12 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Did you read the last reference report, that was done on SARS so I doubt your expertise on this, sorry.

SARS is a corona and they have studied it and other corona for over a decade. Yes this one is different one, but many similarities to guide them 

What's more, SARS-CoV-2 RNA was found on "a variety of surfaces" in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic people who were infected with COVID-19 on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, up to 17 days after the passengers disembarked, according to a new analysis from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). However, this was before disinfection procedures took place and "data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces," according to the analysis. In other words, it's not clear if the viral particles on these surfaces could have infected people.

https://www.livescience.com/how-long-coronavirus-last-surfaces.html

Jury still out, but I would prefer personally eer on the side of caution

In the countries where there are still few enough cases for them to be documented, it does seem that virtually everybody who gets it is a known contact of a previously infected person, and has spent time with them. Hardly anybody doesn't seem to know how or where they got it, which makes transmission from surfaces seem less likely. That's not to say it doesn't happen, and people are right to be cautious, but it might mean we ought to be stressing social distancing far more than face masks and cleaning. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Surely immigration knows where these passengers went to from their arivals cards,. Why do they not contact trace them and test them, with repeat testing done to confirm any negative results, along with self quarantine.

Arrival cards are probably in the bin now!

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Note that, in your view, not just a finger but a "racist" finger, as long as it's Chinese, is quite OK. We point racist fingers at them all the time anyway, right? Our racism, heh.

not racist at all - it is a fact that the CV-19 virus began in China - the rest of us are victims including all Thais 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

All DEAD material, not contagious 

The report did not state whether they viral particles were viable or not.

Virus are never alive,they are either viable or not, the debate continues as virus particles  have absence of protoplasm, which is considered as living, living matter reproduce, virus only replicate within a host cell

7 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Why do they only list the 1 seat with the infected person?  They don't know the other seats the infected people were in?

People asking about cleaning and turn-around time.  These long haul flights have at least a 24 hr turn around time thus easily cleaned.

I did some checking around - you know, Google, Bing, etc. and turnaround time on typical long haul flights range from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on the size of the airplane... 

4 minutes ago, RichardL said:

In the countries where there are still few enough cases for them to be documented, it does seem that virtually everybody who gets it is a known contact of a previously infected person, and has spent time with them. Hardly anybody doesn't seem to know how or where they got it, which makes transmission from surfaces seem less likely. That's not to say it doesn't happen, and people are right to be cautious, but it might mean we ought to be stressing social distancing far more than face masks and cleaning. 

Agreed with social distancing, how ever in NSW and Vic in Australia, there is an increase in diagnosis of those classified as "community transmission" who appear to have no connection to other diagnosed persons.

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but isn't it also just as likely that they were infected by getting into a seat from some flying out of Thailand few hours earlier at Heathrow  ? Are they tracing all the people that flew out on the potentially infected plane ? No, thought not. 

No because the symptoms take a few days to show so if they were infected by sitting  in the plane they wouldn't have showed symptoms  untill days after arriving here . The post said they showed symptoms while enroute (on plane) and after arriving were tested and showed positve for Covid19

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Surely immigration knows where these passengers went to from their arivals cards,. Why do they not contact trace them and test them, with repeat testing done to confirm any negative results, along with self quarantine.

Thailand has never been big on tracing carriers of infectious diseases. Ask anyone who has contracted a veneral disease. 

I have been that annoying passenger for many years. On boarding any aircraft, before seating I wipe down the headrest, arm rests, tray table and back of seat infront of me if in economy.

Holds others up, momentarily, but my safety has always been paramount. Always concerned about nits from headrests, and once found a really dirty wet tray table.(on TG)

What a bore, bet you never swam in the canal when you were a nipper.

I have been that annoying passenger for many years. On boarding any aircraft, before seating I wipe down the headrest, arm rests, tray table and back of seat infront of me if in economy.

Holds others up, momentarily, but my safety has always been paramount. Always concerned about nits from headrests, and once found a really dirty wet tray table.(on TG)

Nowadays doing this is a piece of cake as there are wet wipes in a package and all you have to do is to open it and start cleaning. Planes do go through a process of disinfection but this isn't after every flight segment. So we can count on the surfaces to be contaminated with different germs, bacteria and now unfortunately perhaps Covid19 viruses.

10 hours ago, Davo369 said:

Did they say this when it was all happening from China in Jan.. 

I recall they had open arms to the Chinese.

Knowing full well the situation 

On February 5th there was a news item that the UK were "considering" banning the

entry of Chinese citizens and commercial flights from the country.

Did the UK government also have an open arms policy, albeit worded differently?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, simtemple said:

Thailand has never been big on tracing carriers of infectious diseases. Ask anyone who has contracted a veneral disease. 

Could you put me in touch with someone who's contracted a veneral disease. It isn't 

the first topic of conversation most people have in mind.

I would say that unless you were really promiscuous, most people would have a fairly

good idea where they picked up a dose, so it would be fairly simple to trace the carrier

if you really wanted to.

I think this news alert shows pretty good initiative. The passengers on these flights will be 

self isolating and easy to trace through seat numbers linked to passports, let's hope they

are ok, although the vast majority of people who contract this virus survive.

5 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Could you put me in touch with someone who's contracted a veneral disease. It isn't 

the first topic of conversation most people have in mind.

I would say that unless you were really promiscuous, most people would have a fairly

good idea where they picked up a dose, so it would be fairly simple to trace the carrier

if you really wanted to.

I think this news alert shows pretty good initiative. The passengers on these flights will be 

self isolating and easy to trace through seat numbers linked to passports, let's hope they

are ok, although the vast majority of people who contract this virus survive.

Im reckoning you both mean "venereal", as in a sexually acquired disease

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

No that would not be possible. The incubation time is approximately 10 to 14 days.

9 hours ago, gimo said:

This means London is definitely one of the least safe places to be at the moment .

Given that Thailand had its first case long before the UK did, surely Bangkok's been a hotspot for 2 months. Or do you believe the figures the Thai government has been pumping out?

8 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

People asking about cleaning and turn-around time.  These long haul flights have at least a 24 hr turn around time thus easily cleaned.

Garbage, BA0009 is turned round at BKK in just under 2 hours to depart as BA0010.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, korse said:

No that would not be possible. The incubation time is approximately 10 to 14 days.

incubating it and showing negative results on testing, then the symptoms show.

I have read a couple of research papers sayin from 3-14 days from contagion.

I feel we are looking at a moveable feast on this, everything changing rapidliy, labs stressed out, researchers and virologists working at breakneck pace and the poor frontline staff, trying to cope with lack of basic PPE 

Some of the tests kits are not all that accurate it seems

Edited by RJRS1301

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well I don't think they meant venerable anyway!

oh I  hazard a guess you  are right, but the venerable may be subject to venereal, and venal. 

Edited by RJRS1301

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

oh I  hazard a guess your right, but the venerable may be subject to venereal, and venal. 

Yes, possibly even the venerable may succumb.

Edited by nauseus
+ y even