BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand hit by African Horse Sickness, killing over 100 horses

Thailand hit by African Horse Sickness, killing over 100 horses

horse_22112013.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - More than 100 horses have died from African Horse Sickness (AHS) in Thailand, government data showed, in the Southeast Asian country's first instance of the illness that only affects animals.

"This disease has just occurred in Thailand. We've never had it in the past," director-general of the Department of Livestock Development, Sorawit Thanito, said on Thursday.

The government has quarantined sick horses to limit the spread of the disease, Sorawit said.

At least 131 horses have died across four provinces, latest government data showed.

"We have to investigate how this virus got to Thailand," he said, adding that the government was notified in late March of AHS in the country.

Horses suffering from the illness can have fevers of over 39 Celsius, difficulty breathing and bleeding in the eyes.

There have been no reported cases of AHS in humans and it was not related to the outbreak of the new coronavirus, Sorawit said.

The World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) suspended Thailand's status as an "AHS Free Country" on March 27.

AHS is endemic in the central tropical regions of Africa, from where it spreads regularly to Southern Africa and occasionally to North Africa, according to the OIE.

Myanmar and Kyrgyzstan had their AHS-free statuses suspended in 2018.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Alex Richardson)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-03
  • Sad 3

No curfew for horses? ...😂

56 minutes ago, lozzagee said:

NO Khun Puchaiyank, more likely the zebra, natural carrier of african horse sickeness, imported into horse farm in Pak Chong. Virus spread by biting midges. Will now probably spread all over SE Asia as requires super effort from disciplined industry to control. An animal COVID situation in the making.

Can Covid be transmitted by mosquitos ?

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

Can Covid be transmitted by mosquitos ?

Evidently not. I'm pretty sure I saw that debunked a while ago.

• Like 1

Horse sickness spread via the horse dance.  Korean no good!

It took a few years to incubate.

AHS is native in Zebra which carry the virus but don't appear to suffer. According to what I read a couple of years ago non-native horses in Africa had a very high mortality rate and was not controlled until a vaccine was produced last century. So my question would be...were any Thai horses in close proximity to a Zebra, perhaps one recently introduced to a Thai Zoo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

AHS is native in Zebra which carry the virus but don't appear to suffer. According to what I read a couple of years ago non-native horses in Africa had a very high mortality rate and was not controlled until a vaccine was produced last century. So my question would be...were any Thai horses in close proximity to a Zebra, perhaps one recently introduced to a Thai Zoo?

Hendra  horse Virus ,also thought to be  transmitted via bats, was found in Australia in Queensland about 1995. 70% death rate of horses infected and also 50% death rate of humans who had contact with those animals.             Bats are Protected species in Oz.   ....    You know it makes sense???

What is the horse population in Thailand? What are they used for?

• Haha 1