As Covid-19 cases rise, Thailand shuts doors on new arrivals

webfact

As Covid-19 cases rise, Thailand shuts doors on new arrivals

By The Nation

800_bf8ed1a38bdd8f8.jpg?v=1585815371

File photo

In a move to control the spread of Covid-19, the government plans to further restrict arrivals to Thailand from April 2 to April 15, though the prime minister has called on the Foreign Ministry to issue a clear directive on the subject.

Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has told the Foreign Ministry to issue a new directive prohibiting new arrivals. However, details of the directive are yet to be announced.

Meanwhile, Dr Sophon Iamsirithaworn, director of the Division of Communicable Disease, said the Public Health Ministry has proposed that every individual planning to travel to Thailand should first practice 14-days of self-isolation.

“Those wishing to visit the country are also required to register with the Thai embassy in their country. The registration has to also show their expected date of departure. They must be screened after the 14-day quarantine before being granted permission to travel,” Dr Sophon said. “This requirement applies to arrivals from all countries as more than 200 countries have been affected by Covid-19.”

Earlier, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had urged people living overseas to avoid coming to Thailand.

“The spread of Covid-19 must be stopped,” he said. “The Foreign Ministry will issue a clear directive on the issue. People who already have permission to enter Thailand, can do so under strict procedures handled by the Thai embassies.”

The premier also expressed concerns about Thais stranded overseas and called on people whose relatives are outside Thailand to contact the Foreign Ministry. He also called on people to avoid travelling or using public transport.

The total number of Covid-19 cases in Thailand has reached 1,875 with 104 new infections confirmed over a 24-hour period and three new deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385275

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-03
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

At just 100+ a day, there is no curve to flatten, it's flat lining already !! So why the drastic measures ?? 

I think the general doesn't like governors to make their own meaningless rules, so he decided to take the reins ...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I still cannot get over people who seem to believe official numbers of any

kind regarding the Covid 19 virus. 

The MSM could do a better job at pointing out the inconsistencies in the officially reported numbers.  Some countries are only doing limited testing. Some countries are only testing people who are hospitalized.  Some countries may be intentionally withholding data for some reason. 

An interesting note today on data from France on Coronavirus Worldometer site, which illustrates the problem with the reported numbers being taken at face value:

image.png

Thailand is much worse than the official n7mbers show. But socoughing ope and USA. No testing for people with less high temperatures staying at home to get well. But in Thailand for now 25% of the cases are imported. A man from Kuwait with certificate travelling to Bangkok by plain and train tot the South, coughing heavily and dropped dead. How many people in the train and plain? A Brittisch man with his Thai wife coming home. And so on. So it makes sense to close all borders. We don't want another Europe here. And please for your, my and everyone's sake stay home, don't travel, wash hands and cough / sneeze in your elbow. Stay safe. 

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I still cannot get over people who seem to believe official numbers of any

kind regarding the Covid 19 virus.  When I was in Hua Hin, I checked at 2 of the hospitals

and the women at the admission desks said, not to believe the news or

any thing the government put out.  I am glad I got back to Canada

without catching it.

Geezer

Unless you are elderly, you might already have been infected without knowing. The COVID-19 is extremely contagious, but in the vast majority of cases produces only mild symptoms, and often none at all in younger age groups.

Does he realize that 2,000 Thais just entered Thailand down South?

Where are they going to put them for 14 days?

The Thai Embassy required form, do they get a proper test ?

I have had my temperature taken 17 time in 5 days at various places. Waste of time

Do they realize that I can still be a carrier

Agree, curfew could start at 6pm until 6 am. Lets get serious

Our leadership, the esteemed general and his cronies, are living in the land of Narnia. Sadly these buffoons are not the ones who likely will pay the price for their idiocy. I wish for nothing but karma on them, especially Anutin.

• Like 1

NO. This country needs a LOCKDOWN for EVERYONE and thousands of tests needs to be done every day to get a real and accurate handle on what is truly happening. 
Until Thailand shows the rest of the world that they are serious about tackling this outbreak, not ONE country will be able to trust them in the future when it comes to visiting for holidays (not that tourism is back on the cards for the foreseeable future). What the heck is the point of imposing curfew for NIGHT TIMES when most places are already shut? IT needs to be 24 hour lockdown. Look around the world - can't they see what's happening????!?!?!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Our leadership, the esteemed general and his cronies, are living in the land of Narnia. Sadly these buffoons are not the ones who likely will pay the price for their idiocy. I wish for nothing but karma on them, especially Anutin.

Where is the coat closet I need to get back to the real world if we are in Narnia.....

1 minute ago, Pedrogaz said:

They closed the wardrobe border....sorry.

Damn, I never saw that decree, or the memo from my embassy, so I guess I failed to get myself out in time, maybe .....no that wont work .....even these ruby red glass slippers I am wearing don't work when I click my heels together and say "I want to Go Home"......guess I will go open a bottle of wine and start my Afternoon off with a glass and listen to Mozart.......

12 hours ago, xtof2 said:

Because in a war, a General has to point out ennemies. And our beloved PM has designed farangs as the ennemies: so no farangs here (and for the ones staying crazy rules to extend their visas). No Thais either coming in since they’ve been contaminated by farangs overseas. That’s also why they report cases in Thailand separately : X Thais infected, Y farangs contaminated.
Nothing new here.

And much easier for them than preventing Thais to leave Bangkok for the provinces or to prevent them to go to work. But curfew from 10 pm to 4 am, oh yeah, that’s gonna make a difference.

designated not designed. enemies not ennemies. just saying.

thank you for a great post.

• Like 1

This was reported by Richard Barrow earlier.

The article is in the Thai language but possibly get an English report later.

A large group of Thais returning from Japan and America caused an incident at Suvarnabhumi this evening when they refused to be put into compulsory quarantine. It is believed three people with a fever slipped through security in the chaos.

https://www.komchadluek.net/news/regional/426121

สุวรรณภูมิ,กักตัว,โควิด-19,โควิด19,ไวรัสโรคโควิด-19,ประยุทธ์ จันทร์โอชา,กระทรวงการต่างประเทศ
Edited by anchadian

This is the same Thailand that refused to close boarders and let the Chinese pour in? I'm confused???? Must be a different country that said nothing to worry about. Songkron and the warm weather will blow it away. Oh wait it was the non compliant dirty farangs that brought it in. Whatever B.S. they want to spew at this point, who cares. It's too late! 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 9:03 AM, Misty said:

The MSM could do a better job at pointing out the inconsistencies in the officially reported numbers.  Some countries are only doing limited testing. Some countries are only testing people who are hospitalized.  Some countries may be intentionally withholding data for some reason. 

I think that now the situation is heading towards critical, most civilised nations have come to the conclusion that pulling the wool over everyone else's eyes wont disguise the fact that the planet is in deep doo-doo.  There must be a point where governments must realise that sharing technology and information is preferable to coming up with fallible statistics suggesting that "we're doing as much as we can, just as the figures suggest".

Unfortunately, as most will have deduced, the true comparative figures bear no relevance and organisations such as the WHO can only produce data based on what they are given and the true picture remains a matter for conjecture.  The prime example of this is North Korea.  No cases or deaths per WHO.  Hmmm.

As mentioned before, there are so many factors that can be used in each country's figures to throw up dodgy comparisons.   E.g. UK 38,00 cases, 3,600 deaths.  Thailand (same WHO source)  2,000 cases, 19 deaths.  Populations roughly the same but even allowing for demographics and testing criteria, that just does not make sense seeing that Thailand was the first country outside of China to acknowledge the disease.  I would guess that the UK figures are less than the actual total and that Thailand's are even more woefully inaccurate.