English version of Prime Minister's statement regarding curfew and COIVD-19 response

webfact

34 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Aaaaah, boo hoo, the Prime Minister didn't address you in his speech - aren't you just so persecuted and hard done by.  Do you guys just go searching for things to fuel your paranoia?  (Yes, you do)

Did you want him to start by saying "Dear Thai people, dear foreigners, dear everybody of all nationalities....."   Would that have made you feel all warm and fuzzy?   They are releasing official updates in English, is that not enough for you?  Why would they do that if foreigners were not part of the equation?  

How many other Prime Ministers or Presidents specifically address foreigners when they address their nation?  

Stop being pathetic.

Actually when you address a Nation during times such as these, and knowing there are others here including those from other nation's, including SE Asia, you address all inhabitants and not just the Thai's....so now where is that pathetic I ask you.  However, having lived here long enough, i would not have expected anything different. As far as other Countries, go back and find some of their speeches.  They normally start out " To the People of....."

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Who do you think he would talk to? He is talking to the nation and his people, like every other head of state in any country. Why are you trying to make yourself so important in a foreign country?In my private opinion it´s much better you go home and wait for the Liverpool match, if not Boris and the UK government will make the whole team and half the country die before that could happen.

To all the rest that just spout your nonsense and garbage, I just hope you will eat your words when it shows how good Thailand is coming out of this compared to most other countries in the world.

Me and the wife have followed the self isolation method and only go for shopping (6.am)we wear masks whenever we go out, and on one occasion we tried going for a walk by the beach but we had to give that up, with people trying to sell us stuff and then they got annoyed because I told them to keep their distance? I looked around and many Thai's are all sitting together (mostly food vendors) and even when we were walking by the condo the Thai people walked in groups of five or six ?

maybe they all live in one condo but I do not think so, and when I have spoken to the wife over other members of her family who have gone to their village. they appear to visit and travel to each others house's with no separation or isolation whether they have come from other parts of Thailand like Bangkok, The village headman has informed every one they are on 14 day

Quarantine but from what I can figure they come and go as they please..

this is not 100% certain but from what I have heard it does seem very Lax. yet the figures for this Corvid 19 are very low and something seems out of kilter ? not sure what but either the weather (hot) or the Thai people have 

some immunity ? or we are not getting the full story. 

Edited by zoza
sticky key
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Nothing about low-cost testing... which is a key component of restricting the infection spread. Sometimes I wonder whether the PM lives in an alternative universe.

Maybe included in the we have the funds part of his speech, perhaps now as a Thai national you dont pay.

Agree testing should be free and available to us all along with a curfew on immigration between the hours of 12am to 12pm.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Actually when you address a Nation during times such as these, and knowing there are others here including those from other nation's, including SE Asia, you address all inhabitants and not just the Thai's....so now where is that pathetic I ask you.  However, having lived here long enough, i would not have expected anything different. As far as other Countries, go back and find some of their speeches.  They normally start out " To the People of....."

Thailand?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lkv said:

No chance, it will last two years with several peaks. Deaths will be recorded as pneumonia or based on whatever other existing conditions, in typical Thai fashion, until herd immunity happens.

Testing will be kept at a minimum and bars will open in 2 weeks.

Not just tland, but same for other neighbors that behave the same. I'm in Kathmandu now, and wondering how the heck this place will survive locked down like this... sooner or later the supply pipeline from, well, everywhere, will run dry but even before that happens, small shops, restaurants, and crucial businesses will all dry up. Everyone who depends on tourism income is now broke, and owners facing huge payments with no revenue go under. So, looking at that scenario vs. the one of just going back to "normal + more body bags" is the one that will have to win the day - people have to eat! 

Isn't the most important line in the speech for us in the second paragraph, which states in English: "as all patients with this virus are considered as emergency cases, there are 3 government funds that will be used to pay for their medical expenses, namely..." etc., etc. This seems to say every patient, not just every Thai patient, and as hard to believe as it is, it seems to say all hospital expenses will be covered. So is the government insuring us all? Does anyone have more details? This by the way is not impossible, because at this very time the Thai government has been paying for the medicine used for my eye injections, and it's expensive stuff, and they know I have a US passport. The doctor told me, the government subsidizes it, period.

11 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Isn't the most important line in the speech for us in the second paragraph, which states in English: "as all patients with this virus are considered as emergency cases, there are 3 government funds that will be used to pay for their medical expenses, namely..." etc., etc. This seems to say every patient, not just every Thai patient, and as hard to believe as it is, it seems to say all hospital expenses will be covered. So is the government insuring us all? Does anyone have more details? This by the way is not impossible, because at this very time the Thai government has been paying for the medicine used for my eye injections, and it's expensive stuff, and they know I have a US passport. The doctor told me, the government subsidizes it, period.

I was going to comment, but then realized, resisting my inner voice was the best thing....Good luck with that by the way.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Seems reasonable.

Did he mention testing ????

Did he say how many people that have died of pneumonia in the last 3 months have been tested for CV-19

No I didn't think so 

The cover up continues

No Test No Report

No accurate data

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Could have been done at least a couple of weeks ago but hopefully not too late as the figures show how little Thailand has been effected compared to almost every other country in the world.

Lets hope there have not been any errors in the calculations of the extent of spread of the virus.

how long have you lived here ????????

How many tests have they done 

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

5 hours ago, fishtank said:

Either the government are doing an amazing job at containing the virus or they are lying about the numbers.

they are doing neither 

The data is likely correct for the sample size (number of actual tests)

They are using the word "checks" often - but these are not tests

Testing rate in Thailand is probably the lowest in the world based on population, a tiny fraction of everyone else  in the infected world

If you don't test then no report data, and if you don't test those that have died of pneumonia then that data is also useless 

4 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the case that we are almost all going to catch this virus at some stage, and the shutdowns and social distancing around the world are only to slow the spread and ensure emergency services and hospitals aren't totally overwhelmed? I never heard anybody(other than Prayuth here, and young idealistic foreigners on our local community forum) claim they can shove the genie back into the bottle.

pretty much correct

The US are now skipping official protocols to race a vaccine into service as quickly as possible which I don't think anyone will complain about

But although not a primary objective now - herd immunity will also play a big part in stopping the spread, if 70% of the population have had it and gained immunity then the virus have no effective vehicle to spread and then fizzles out

Edited by smedly

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

pretty much correct

The US are now skipping official protocols to race a vaccine into service as quickly as possible which I don't think anyone will complain about

No it will wait until day 364, and then the lawsuits will be filed......it is a litigious world we live in.

a curfew will be imposed from 22.00hrs to 04.00hrs throughout the Kingdom of Thailand. There will be exceptions for necessary cases, medical personnel, bank staff

Why would an exception be put in place for bank staff, aa group of people who would never work (or even be travelling to work) within the hours of the curfew?

Of all the businesses in Thailand, banks would be one of the few that would not be affected by the curfew hours.

37 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

a curfew will be imposed from 22.00hrs to 04.00hrs throughout the Kingdom of Thailand. There will be exceptions for necessary cases, medical personnel, bank staff

Why would an exception be put in place for bank staff, aa group of people who would never work (or even be travelling to work) within the hours of the curfew?

Of all the businesses in Thailand, banks would be one of the few that would not be affected by the curfew hours.

Bank staff do work during those hours.  They are the ones that deal with international transfers and have to interact with the banks in Europe and in the US.  You have to remember the time differences.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Bank staff do work during those hours.  They are the ones that deal with international transfers and have to interact with the banks in Europe and in the US.  You have to remember the time differences.

Point taken.

I presumed that they were talking about tellers and the other bank staff that you only see during normal opening hours.

7 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

Dear Thai people

This message just for Thais then?

Thought it would be. 

Didn't you notice that this was an English-language version of his announcement, do you really think that it was, therefore, intended just for Thais?  

Why don't you try contravening it and making that known if you think it's only for Thai people?  Does Boris Johnson not refer to "the British people" and Trump to "the American people", etc., for example?  Why, then, shouldn't Prayut refer to the citizens of the country of which he is PM as "Thai people"?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

But the ultimate goal is to eliminate this virus from Thailand as soon as we can so that everyone can be safe. Therefore, we cannot be careless, and we must prevent new infections and reduce the number of all infected persons to “zero”. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the case that we are almost all going to catch this virus at some stage, and the shutdowns and social distancing around the world are only to slow the spread and ensure emergency services and hospitals aren't totally overwhelmed? I never heard anybody(other than Prayuth here, and young idealistic foreigners on our local community forum) claim they can shove the genie back into the bottle.

He didn't claim that he could do that.   He said that "...we must prevent new infections and reduce the number of all infected persons to “zero”...".  You disagree with that sentiment?

10 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Point taken.

I presumed that they were talking about tellers and the other bank staff that you only see during normal opening hours.

Yes, I had figured that was what many people would think as well.  If I did not have friends who work in the industry then I wouldn't have had any idea either. By the way not sure how the Philippines call center workers, who work at night and deal with the U.S. Banking as well as the Insurance companies taking calls for Anthem Blue Cross, American Express, among others are able to stay up and running with the lock down there President has in place.  If they are not working then the whole thing collapses, as payments can not be processed or folks getting treatment as they can not be approved for whatever there insurance covers. 

6 hours ago, jimmjam said:
6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Why would he talk about Immigration issues when he is addressing the country and his people. That is the job of Immigration, and they have provided information. You are assumed to be able to read when travelling to a foreign country. You are also assumed to know what department that are dealing with what issues. Otherwise you can always ask the authorities.

Because his spokesperson said he would address it thats why

Did you read the start of his speech..."Dear Thai people"?

Presumably, you did, so why, exactly, do you think that he should talk about Immigration issues in an announcement addressed to Thais?  How do Immigration arrangements affect Thais?

• Haha 1

A lot of  this is nothing more than lip  service.

My  house was visited today by the head of  the  village, 3  people all close together standing at the gate asking my maid/gardener if they could test them with the temperature scanner  gun etc.

Then in the  full sun  they checked their temperatures and said 35c pass?

My staff said  what about the  Farang here? no they said just leave it.

So there  was  no social distancing  of  the 3 people who  arrived, two together on the same motorbike, the  temperatures were  taken outdoors  in full sun and said 35c  which must be wrong and  no  need to check the Farang.

In effect they are  helping to spread  the virus by visiting everyone's  house and without the  correct procedure.

I suspect they  will  now  announce they have tested  all  the  villages nationwide!

Edited by gunderhill

My wife has a lady helping her make face masks and mrs vogie said we have a fish tank to give away as she is tired of cleaning the algae from the glass. The helper has a brother in the Thai police and said he would have it, the brother and police friend visited later that day to view the tank, whilst there he put his hand out to shake my hand, my immediate reaction was to go into wai mode. There was no social distancing at all between wifey, her friend and the two policemen, god help us all.????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

I ensure you that we have enough medicines for the treatment of the virus and we have a plan ready to acquire more from overseas should the situation escalate.

Really? Why doesn't the rest of the world have this?