Immigration say they are doing all they can as petition gets signatures

webfact

21 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

Why can't they just give a blanket automatic extension to tourist visa holders. It would only be 2 months at this point.

Not saying this is the right way for Thailand to be handling this, but I would expect that their motivations are:

1.  They probably want the tourists to leave.  That's why they have made the visa extension so difficult to obtain.  Many of the people on tourist visas are capable of leaving but they prefer to stay here until the Corona Virus crisis is over. 

2.  How would they do this and not give amnesty to those folks on 5-year overstays?

Again, not saying it's right.  Just trying to see how Thai authorities might be looking at the issue from a different angle.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, sapson said:

Honestly think we westerners should be a little less compliant.

It is lunacy to attend a crowded immigration office in current circumstances.

If the 90 day reporting doesnt work on line then you simply cant do it. 

Is attending immigration for 90 day reporting a matter of life and death or of importance to national security of Thaiiand? No!

Social distancing is important and not adhering to this policy could put lives of both Thais and westerners at risk.

Common sense should rule over bureaucratic obsessive disorder syndrome.

Edited just now by sapson

Yeah, people queuing like that are just stupid. I'd overstay it's just not worth risking your life to jump through ridiculous hoops of nonsensical danger to please Immigration police and the whims above.

Obviously anyone in these queues considering staying on a bit of a fool.

As soon as I could get on a flight I'd be gone. The message to tourists over the last month insulting. Guidance vague and dangerous. Gone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

@Toung Taied ""I'm here to tell you that it isn't true that you are safe here. I was not allowed into Thailand 3 weeks ago, because I didn't have the necessary Covid-19 "Medical Certificate". I have lived in Thailand for 6 years, I have a house and wife In Buriram province. I have a Non-immigrant O based upon Marriage. I cannot come and be at my home or my wife. You could say this is a one off event, but is it? With the draconian measures keep being implemented, it is clear that what you say is no longer really true. ""

I'm married there from 6 years, know Thailand there from 8 years, have a land, build my house myself (really myself... i want it to be strong and i'm a builder with a real build cultural old knowledge)... I was stopped on my country airport because no COVID-19 test (in my country, no one can pass a test, there is no test because my own gouvernement care to much to make money instead of take care people... lot of corruption there...) and no 100 000 $ insurance coverage. Ok, it is like that, an other one Thai woman was also not able to go (not only fareng then...). And you know, which country has its border open actually ?

Well... i'm still confined at home in my country now. Waiting to go at work soon... (would prefer to be confined at work for make money, i'm strong and courageous, i'm not feeling afraid about COVID-19 infection for myself, but i can understand how many people around the world are not so strong and how that can be a big deal for hospital to be full suddenly... so.... i stay calm). I'm happy my reservation is still open (i not loose my fly ticket... very good !) and my wife stay calm, she know me and all her familly know.  I have a one year visa on the run... loose many month, and then what ?
I will have to work a month more to not loose time for nothing, then as soon as possible, i will be back to finish my home, make my garden clean, and back work... then will be back Thaï family and home place again...

I know some Philipin's friends are to stay at work on boat for 6 month (some of them 8 month) before to go back home... for cheap money back sadly... they don't cry... they are very courageous to.
Keep calm, it is a special situation, every body little people same 99% of us (Thai or not is the same) have to be patient and strong the same.

That's it... isn't it ?

Chock di.

For all the other who cry all the time what ever is happening, just leave back to your own country, hope for you lot of freedom and honor.

I learn in this world from the bottom level ground zero that there is many way to go: to have big money, to be someone born with top level privileges, or to be patient and strong. When i read all the comments there, i see all of you are same me (maybe for some of exigent people of you, with much more money, but not so much as rich can have), and then i'm thinking you have to be strong and patient. More patient and more strong, then more happy the poor can be (that is our power).

Edited by jerolamo
not finish to write.
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

There are probably a good half a million possible reasons they can't just give auto extensions. Maybe there would be a huge problem with their computer records under that scenario. 

Or maybe not

Or maybe they need good systems people not the brother in law of some toadie.

Seems like when the people don't show because of the long lines, broken process, confused or sick they have the same problems.

Funny how immigration always asks for understanding but rarely has any for the hoi palloi.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bigz said:

That's very sad. I feel for you. I wouldn't be happy at all in your situation. On the other hand a Thai husband or wife won't be able to enter most of Europe this time either. It is unfair but reciprocal. And when the good times are on a westerner's life is always much more easy in Thailand than a Thai's in the western world. Most Thais can't even enter any western countries...

With a national visa D issued by any Schengen country you are entitled to return to your second home at any time. This is a real settlement visa, unknown of here in the land of stupidity.

You can stay forever with a visa D, no financials required.  Visa is free and after 5 years you can apply for citizenship.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

If I was from Iran, damn right I'd want to stay put. What is hard to understand about that? They're already here, not going to make the situation worse here, but you would rather they risk their health, and the health of others, going back home due to regulations?

Thailand just advised Thai nationals in Japan to stay put until April 15. So the very same government policy you're defending (where you can't see the sense of an additional 30 days), sees fit to take a 'wait 15-30 days and see' approach.

Most of the people I've seen are Americans and Brits. 

But your point about Iranians is taken.

That said, most of these people came here when Asia was the center of the crisis.  If you had a tourist visa that expired in March, that means you likely arrived here in January or February.  By Feb, things were starting to get serious in Thailand while in the US and UK people were still debating what to do IF it comes to them. 

So, again, just trying to understand the logic of someone coming to Thailand when Corona cases were ramping up but doesn't want to return due to the health risks. 

I mean, I remember having dinner with some friends of mine from the US that were visiting around Valentine's Day and they were asking me if I was scared of catching Corona living in Thailand and how they were hoping to make it out of here without catching it. 

• Haha 1

Thank God I renewed my retirement visa for another year on March 6th.... Turn out the lights the party's over boys! I predict 50% of all farang owned bars, restaurants and businesses will all be wiped out never to return again! Pattaya and the rest of Thailand is in for a world of hurt!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, FinickyFarang said:

I had been wondering that too.  From what I've seen on FB and elsewhere, it does seem a lot of these people have simply decided that they don't want to go home.  They think Thailand is safer than their own country so they're just going to stay in Thailand until the whole Corona thing is over and it's safe to return home. 

That's the part I don't get. 

I have seen very few of these people mentioning anything about their attempts to leave.  Like, if I was legitimately trying to get out and my flights were being cancelled or my home country was totally locked down to people returning, I would mention that since it bolsters my case for this being beyond my control. 

But most people just talk about how Thailand needs to give them a visa extension. 

Like one person said that they were on their third visa extension.  They had a 60, then they extended for 30 before things got crazy, then immigration would only give them a 7-day, and they went back after 7 days and got another 7-day, and now they got a letter from their embassy (I believe she was a Brit) and she's hoping that they'll give her another 30. 

So, that's 60 + 30 + 7 + 7 = 104 days and she wants another 30 so, 134 days. 

I also don't get why they think a 30-day extension is going to solve their problems.  This Corona Virus is going to be awhile.  And as time goes on, they'll have less options, not more (in the relative short-term 3 - 6 months). 

Like, what happens if 30 days from now Thailand is pretty much on constant lock down and there are few, if any flights out? 

There was another guy I saw who was staying because the cost of a flight back home had tripled (like $500 to $1,500) since the Corona Virus hit.  He was getting an extension so he could wait for a lower price.

I do understand it on a certain level but I'm just not sure if a lot of these people are thinking past next week or the next 30 days. 

You are correct. Consider also that people are in survival mode right now. Everyone wants to judge their actions, but at the end of the day, a human being is just trying to factor everything (health condition, dangerousness of environment, financial impacts, budget) in their decision on how to proceed. For some, they may actually have a better chance of surviving this pandemic by staying put here, especially if their home country has been disastrous in mitigating the virus. This is life and death. You can't use the metric of "this ain't your home" to tell people what they should do. Where you consider home is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT if you die because you chose where to go based on wanting to avoid the judgement of others. Shame doesn't kill. Covid kills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, William Osborne said:

Still rammed in Jomtien IO.....no social distancing as if they did, the queues would probably extend all the way to the beach.

Unbelievable putting people at risk like this ???? 

Ethnic cleansing perhaps?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, roo860 said:

You only need your passport and complete TM47 for your Happy Meal with a side order of Pangolin. 

And don't forget to keep all your docs with you and fill out another form if you want alcohol from PTT stations. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, sapson said:

Honestly think we westerners should be a little less compliant.

It is lunacy to attend a crowded immigration office in current circumstances.

If the 90 day reporting doesnt work on line then you simply cant do it. 

Is attending immigration for 90 day reporting a matter of life and death or of importance to national security of Thaiiand? No!

Social distancing is important and not adhering to this policy could put lives of both Thais and westerners at risk.

Common sense should rule over bureaucratic obsessive disorder syndrome.

Edited just now by sapson

Well you can be the first to give it a try, let us know how it works for you

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

3pm1.jpg

A different meaning to "X marks the spot"!!!

In the 17th century at the time of the great plague, a red or black cross was painted on the doors of victims. If immigration doesn't knock this nonsense on the head, the black crosses on three out of four chairs there might soon represent covid-19 victims. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I'm here to tell you that it isn't true that you are safe here. I was not allowed into Thailand 3 weeks ago, because I didn't have the necessary Covid-19 "Medical Certificate". I have lived in Thailand for 6 years, I have a house and wife In Buriram province. I have a Non-immigrant O based upon Marriage. I cannot come and be at my home or my wife. You could say this is a one off event, but is it? With the draconian measures keep being implemented, it is clear that what you say is no longer really true. 

The precautions being implemented are totally out of proportion to the number of cases of deaths. 

I do feel we are fairly safe here. But some of the measures are a bit over the top. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The precautions being implemented are totally out of proportion to the number of cases of deaths. 

I do feel we are fairly safe here. But some of the measures are a bit over the top. 

well that assumes that the reported figures are correct... not saying they're not, but actions speak louder than words so maybe the powers that be know something that the general public dont...

Simply lock down the borders and provinces, register with your Embassy and make an App so foreigners can report to immigration. if someone gets sick they can report on the App. This doesn't have to be complicated. We can take care of the details later as conditions improve. Don't plan on going home this year. If people don't isolate we can see 10 percent of the world population disappear. It's happened many times in history. This new generation has little knowledge of the past pandemics. SARS is  nothing compared to plague, small pox, polio, tuberculosis, and many other pandemics. This pandemic is turning into something more than serious.

Edited by Winky Wilson
  • Haha 1

All the tourists stranded here, and certainly the long termers who live here, have already been processed and found suitable for entry and stay in the country.

In the current extraordinary circumstance, and apart from  any health concerns, what has suddenly made these people a security risk if they are to stay a little longer? Why do they require further extensive examination in a place, and in a manner, which can only exacerbate the health risks? 

What really is the security danger in simply granting them a longer stay until such time as the world resumes a semblance of normality? Their money may even help a few of the locals get past this event.

Other countries are doing it, see the post above.

• Haha 1