Covid-19: Stay in tonight! Break curfew and face jail and/or heavy fines

webfact

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I've stopped responding to @Brewster67's posts directly as it appears he hasn't quite got a grasp of the intricacies of Thailand's computer crimes act.

yes it gets too risky in tempting the retribution from a snollygoster, on a mission... 

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

There are exceptions that include medical staff, bank employees, deliveries of food, agricultural products, medications, medical equipment, newspapers, gas tankers, postal delivery and parcel delivery. 

Between 10pm and 4 am?

I used to get up at 4 am to deliver newspapers before school a few years ago .....

10pm-4am curfew comes into effect today. If this doesn't work then the following week there's talks of a 24 hour curfew. If someone has a medical emergency and needs to go to the hospital immediately, how can they go there during this curfew time in BKK? I'm presuming there's no taxis on the road due to the curfew. How to go with no transportation in BKK? Been thinking about this scenario just in case.

• Like 1

Just now, bbi1 said:

10pm-4am curfew comes into effect today. If this doesn't work then the following week there's talks of a 24 hour curfew. If someone has a medical emergency and needs to go to the hospital immediately, how can they go there during this curfew time in BKK? I'm presuming there's no taxis on the road due to the curfew. How to go with no transportation in BKK? Been thinking about this scenario just in case.

A 24 hour curfew is badly thought out and will NEVER come into effect.

there are literally dozens of downsies to this and no upsides.

Common sense WILL prevail.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, yogavnture said:

HAS Thailand banned booze yet? what do the addicts gonna do then?  snort detergent?

Not banned in most places, but you are more than welcome to snort detergent yourself.

4 hours ago, stephenterry said:

There are exceptions that include medical staff, bank employees, deliveries of food, agricultural products, medications, medical equipment, newspapers, gas tankers, postal delivery and parcel delivery. 

Between 10pm and 4 am?

Bank employees does sound a bit iffy. All the rest normal stuff - ever checked details on your Track & Trace report? Mail and parcels move 24/7, same for newspapers 

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

There is a form of transport called ambulances used to transport sick people to hospitals.

I doubt that they would be banned and do recall seeing them on previous visits to Bangkok.

• Sad 2

Brewster 67, I am not an animal & obviously unlike some I can see reason.

The curfew is to try & protect "the lowest common denominator"

if you have the ability to understand that.

Please people stop pulling the chain at every thing they do or don't do.

Our home countries are not exactly shining examples at present.

Spit in someones face, they should shoot it

7 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Better than in the Philippines. Police there have orders to shoot violators. Hope Pattaya Police don't get confused.

Don't worry - no one will be shot. It was intentional hyperbole brought about because people were not complying to the curfew. Most Filipinos who know Duterte were laughing, but the whole world is shocked as news of this traveled far and wide. LOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

I watched a video compilation of thais commenting on having their livelihoods removed and it is becoming clear that they would rather risk getting COVID-19 and take their chances than to starve to death.

Could you give a link to that video?

36 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

There is a form of transport called ambulances used to transport sick people to hospitals.

I doubt that they would be banned and do recall seeing them on previous visits to Bangkok.

You might want to check out coverage and who owns the "ambulances" before relying on them, still a relatively new concept in Thailand!

8 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Jealous of all you young guys out there. At 68 years old it's a long time since I've had a "long time".

Now we sit up all night thinking about what we used to do all night,,,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Maybe the goal of the curfew is to prevent the kind of social activities that tend to occur during those curfew hours and that can lead to cluster-type infections if any one person is actually positive knowingly or not.

Like shopping at early morning markets?  Hummm ????

Much more dangerous than shopping at mid-morning markets or afternoon markets or evening markets.  Hummmm ????

9 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

I watched a video compilation of thais commenting on having their livelihoods removed and it is becoming clear that they would rather risk getting COVID-19 and take their chances than to starve to death.

But they are not given that choice.  No job, out of money for a couple of months, no job prospects, banks knocking on their door, foreclosure threats, bill collectors, phone and utilities cut off, landlord tosses renters out - then...... Social unrest.  A genie that ain't going back in the bottle by dropping a couple of thousand baht on the commoners heads. Not so much in the rural villages, but in cities and the surrounding khets and amphurs and semi-industrialize areas and provinces with Universities- look out!
I wonder how much different civil unrest looks like when it springs from difference in ideals (Red vs Yellow) as opposed to the desperation of hungry, jobless people demanding a fundamental change to make their lives livable in a county where that gap between 'haves' and 'have nots' is unspannable.  Different levels on Maslow's "Needs" chart imho. 
One's primal; the other is not.  
One you can put down with force; the other one blows sky high.
Hungry, desperate people; danger, danger, danger...
Hammer the top on, shake the bottle, and wait.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DavisH said:

The distribution of infection is similar across age groups, but not many are infected less than 10 years old. There aren't many deaths in Thailand so far because the median is 34 y.o. One son got infected at the boxing match, took it home, and killed his elderly father. This is the problem we face. 

Yes. And that’s why we need a support group around the vulnerable people. Isolate from the rest of society but taken care of with food and support. Until this virus clears.

30 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

You guys think this will go on longer than one month or so?

One month, if the curfew achieves it's goal of sufficiently slowing the spread of the virus, is more than enough. However, that is a big IF. The real goal, I believe, is to prevent the virus from overrunning the hospitals, which the curfew will hopefully accomplish. The problem is that the virus has a (roughly) 20 day window. So you have to account for all of those currently infected and provide enough time for them to clear it out completely. Thus, the 30 days. The other possible benefit will be that people will not like the curfew, and will possibly be a little more serious about distancing themselves once it is lifted. The real question is, will the curfew really slow the spread. If not, then they are left with the 24 hour option, which will totally suck.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, yogavnture said:

HAS Thailand banned booze yet? what do the addicts gonna do then?  snort detergent?

Make jar brandy with sweet fruits. We did it as kids and it takes about a week,but it's strong and has some other products not so good for long term consumption. 

Is this just another example of doing something, but not actually doing anything, I mean, just how many people are out, and about, between 10pm and 4am, let's face it, bars are closed, night clubs closed, massage shops closed etc, these curfews seem ridiculous.

Edited by Aussie999