Phuket hotels ordered to close

webfact

Phuket hotels ordered to close

By The Phuket News

1585887779_1-org.jpg

The notice posted by the Phuket office of the Public Relations Department this morning. Image: PR Phuket

PHUKET: The Phuket Governor has ordered all accommodation establishments registered as hotels on the island to close from tomorrow (Apr 4).

The Phuket Governor has ordered all accommodation establishments on the island that are registered as hotels to close from tomorrow (April 4).

At this stage it is believed that hotels already with guests are allowed to remain open, but not allowed to accept any more guests.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-hotels-ordered-to-close-75564.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-03

Seems crazy.

People could literally end up on the streets.

Surely they could allow at least a few hotels to remain open so as to accommodate those who lose their room in the ones that do close.

• Like 1

But who as a tourist is still staying here anyway? Hopefully all tourists have left by now. They have been given ample warning by embassies and officials. It really was just a matter of time before they would close hotels. Not only by order from above but also because owners have to cut costs.

Of course there are people who spent the entire winter here. But they are usually not staying in hotels. And looking around there is no shortage of empty houses and condos, so whoever is still staying in a hotel has a lot of choices to quickly find a new place to stay.

Don't see that as a problem for those staying in the hotels.

Much more so for the business owners and employees.

• Like 1

Pretty standard move as Pattaya ordered the same. All tourists in hotels should read news and get out weeks ago, those who just arrived are selfish and reckless and will be on the streets as a result. Don't be stupid and self-isoalate

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

Pretty standard move as Pattaya ordered the same. All tourists in hotels should read news and get out weeks ago, those who just arrived are selfish and reckless and will be on the streets as a result. Don't be stupid and self-isoalate

Idiocy. Do not come into close contact with another being.  

If Patong, Phuket slides into the ocean

Like the mystics and statistics say it will

I bet all hotels will stay open

Until they square guests bills!

Edited by PatOngo

23 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

The Phuket governor is on a mission.

He is a combo :

-Jesus

-Leonidas 1er ("spaaaaaaaarta !")

-general Patton

-Julio Eglesias (for the glamour and the songs)

One day = one order !

Whatever crazy this order can be... It doesn't matter.

The people, the whole planet is waiting for his daily order

Yesterday the 7/11 and convenience stores ?

Today the hotels ?

Tomorrow : ban on Som Tam. Ban on beer. Ban on sex. Ban on ban, etc.

Rince repeat.

Where this will lead us ? Impossible to say... Afterall, this is Thailand ("spaaaaaaaarta"). Everything is possible.

But one thing is sure : people are going to die. For real. Because of all those "orders".

And perhaps more compared to the virus casualties...

(Thailand = 1978 cases of the terrible virus. And 19 deads).

Most Thais seem to agree with these measures. And many ask for a complete nationwide lockdown. The fear is big.

And they mostly blame farangs.

Reading some of the comments in Thai social media is actually quite revealing and shocking. 

Few more weeks of curfew and no tourism and things might get ugly here. Even after things start to get back to normal

• Like 1

A letter has been delivered to all registered hotels stating the above.

Of course there are plenty of unregistered places that could accommodate any remaining tourists, and there are still a number around, as can be seen by the pictures from Immigration. They of course will then likely be breaking the law by not registering guests and unregistered guests wont be able to get another extension.

Its the large hotels that are probably the issue here. I had a friend in a 300 room hotel up to a week ago. He was one of three guests. There's absolutley no point opening for that number.

I see Pattaya has done the same so it's not just Phuket. But I wish they would for once just think about consequences before enforcing restrictions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So if a hotel decides it is not busy enough to stay open and kicks guests out, it will be impossible for them to check in anywhere else? Seems to me a little more thought needs to go into the consequences of such a decision.

What, and create a precedent?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So if a hotel decides it is not busy enough to stay open and kicks guests out, it will be impossible for them to check in anywhere else? Seems to me a little more thought needs to go into the consequences of such a decision.

Another knee jerk reaction, with little intelligent input

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smedly said:

correct directive should have read

At this stage it is believed that hotels already with guests are being told they must remain open or provide alternate free accommodation by agreement with the guest at another hotel - nobody can be forcefully evicted if they have a booked stay

Oh yes, they can tell you to leave. Booked or not. Several European countries did the same. In my town out of 150 hotels 2 are open for odd biz traveller from within the country. But no tourists allowed. Ski resorts shut down within 3 days. Foreign guests were shipped out. Local guests got quarantined.

When booking your 'Phuket Thailand holiday' in future years please be sure to remember how they treat the hated foreign tourist in Phuket when they throw you out of the hotel resort even though they have lots of cheap vacancy. There are limited 'cheap flight to phuket' for a bargain holiday at the moment.

Google will understand the above post.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

When booking your 'Phuket Thailand holiday' in future years please be sure to remember how they treat the hated foreign tourist in Phuket when they throw you out of the hotel resort even though they have lots of cheap vacancy. There are limited 'cheap flight to phuket' for a bargain holiday at the moment.

Google will understand the above post.

Google might, but I'm not sure I do!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

At this stage it is believed that hotels already with guests are allowed to remain open, but not allowed to accept any more guests.

This will be the case, than nobody will be on the streets. Surely not from my place. And anyway, enough houses to rent now, for those who want to go anyway.                                                                                                                                                  Personally I'm happy with my last two renters, they create income and I would never kick them out. 

No tourist, unless penniless, should be living on the streets.

I've never before seen so many for rent signs around Phuket. Condos, rooms, small and large houses, shops, factories even several of the big latex outlets have rental signs up.

The whole place has a feeling of desolation. There's still traffic on the roads, but premises up and down the main road have shut down wholesale. I didn't see any tumbleweeds blowing around the car parks, but half expected to.

Today I had to do my annual visit to the bank in Tesco to again pay exorbitant prices for a few bits of painstakingly produced, paper to give to Immigration. (Thanks for the exposure to the virus, Immigration. Would it really endanger national security if long term expats could get automatic extensions on-line in these dangerous times?)

Most of the shops in the mall were shuttered or draped with coverings, including the lottery seller to my lady's shock and dismay!

Weirdly, many of the restaurants were sort-of closed, but still selling take away food from tables set up outside their premises. A number of "Grab" delivery boys were sitting around awaiting a call to deliver to an "Insider".

I was still able to get an expresso from a coffee shop I was happy to find.

Everyone was wearing masks except one westerner who was instead smearing an ice-cream over his face.  

On returning home I found several cable guys up ladders on nearby lamp posts removing a number of wires from the tangle, instead of their usual task of adding to it. 

Strange times indeed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, seasia said:

Seems crazy.

People could literally end up on the streets.

Surely they could allow at least a few hotels to remain open so as to accommodate those who lose their room in the ones that do close.

So what, people know what was coming, if not they are very stupid, you can still find condo for rent, so close all the hotels NOW 

On 4/3/2020 at 1:58 PM, thaibutty said:

But who as a tourist is still staying here anyway? Hopefully all tourists have left by now. They have been given ample warning by embassies and officials. It really was just a matter of time before they would close hotels. Not only by order from above but also because owners have to cut costs.

Of course there are people who spent the entire winter here. But they are usually not staying in hotels. And looking around there is no shortage of empty houses and condos, so whoever is still staying in a hotel has a lot of choices to quickly find a new place to stay.

Don't see that as a problem for those staying in the hotels.

Much more so for the business owners and employees.

many hotels give monthly rent with all the benefit it binges 

you are more on your own in an apartment and that doesnt suit everyone 

so sure they have and if that can keep them open good for them 

ask the governor 

why banks not asked to forget interest until its over 

why phone /Internet companys not asked to cut prices to cost price

why water and electric not free they set a max use and pay rest 

why still have to pay VAT  and tax

and why we have to pay landlords

and then he bring it to the government ,thats the other side off his job, he just dont do that

dont care about thais

only himself 

so can not realy close anything without solution i hope everybody see that after this and finally stand up for decency and get elected governors there work or them

we can only hope