Driving Restrictions

Isan Farang

From what I have read online there are restrictions in the form of checkpoints on anyone moving from one province to another.  That said we drove into town and did over 140 kms without seeing a single checkpoint.  We, however, are not located on the main interprovincial routes and it was a few days ago.  The situation changes almost daily.

Moving around at this time would seem to be fraught with uncertainty and subject to change and inconsistencies, so probably not a great idea.

Edited by villagefarang

I just got back from driving to my nearest pharmacy 13 km away. SIX checkpoints, yes SIX, and were any of the operatives operating? No way.

I stopped at one where there were 6 people sat around a table, very close to each other. One lady was not wearing a mask so I gesticulated to her about the mask......................she brought one to me in the car, and I was wearing one. At another, I pulled up only for one man to come to me and ask if I was sick and wanted to take my forehead temperature with his hand almost touching me.

Picked up some Tappers on the way home!

P..s up and brewery do not come into it.

Edited by stouricks
  • Haha 1

I can move from Chiang Rai to Phan no problem, still in Chiang Rai province. I suspect if I went down to Phayao, different story.

As @villagefarang has said, inconsistencies in rule applications at the checkpoints could get you in bother.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I can move from Chiang Rai to Phan no problem, still in Chiang Rai province. I suspect if I went down to Phayao, different story.

As @villagefarang has said, inconsistencies in rule applications at the checkpoints could get you in bother.

Seems the rules vary, i just talked with a Thai yesterday who drove to Chiang Mai he told me he was given some temp check at one check point and continued onward.

I need to drive 1000km, with my first part going from CR to Khon Kaen, my registered address is in Ubon so not sure what the deal is when you inform them you are heading home.

57 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

Just checking if there is any restrictions on driving from Chiang Rai to another province. Thai Smile has cancelled my flights and then inform me if i book another flight it also may be changed.

“Those who cannot provide evidence of being a local resident or having a workplace in Chiang Rai will be denied entry, as well as those who do not wear face masks or refuse to undergo the screening process.”

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1157287-chiang-rai-bans-those-not-wearing-face-masks-from-entering/

So if understand that right, only locals/residents are allowed in?

And Thai Smile had announced that they stop flying to Chiang Rai.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

Seems the rules vary, i just talked with a Thai yesterday who drove to Chiang Mai he told me he was given some temp check at one check point and continued onward.

I need to drive 1000km, with my first part going from CR to Khon Kaen, my registered address is in Ubon so not sure what the deal is when you inform them you are heading home.

If you have access to the Public Health Department information for each province that you will pass through, that should give you an idea of what to expect. The traffic stops mostly look like a temperature check, a quick Q&A, some gel or an offer of a mask and you're on your way.

However, I am not sure if any of them have initiated the lock-down with a 14-day mandatory self-quarantine for ALL arrivals or transients, I think Nonthaburi is already doing that and Chiang Mai's ban on foreigners may be imminent? With the likelihood of them being introduced at very short notice (if any), the sooner you make your trip with as few stopovers as possible would be my advice. My lesson from trying to keep one step ahead of the inexorable ratcheting up of restrictions was I wished I had started about 2 weeks earlier. This far down the rabbit hole, my advice to you would be to start 2 days earlier.

Edited by NanLaew

All Thai Smile domestic flights swill cease in Thailand on Tuesday with the few remaining destinations being last served next Monday. Then nothing for at least 2 weeks.

I would hope that the OP is well on his way by now and managed to avoid Chiang Mai. The drive from Chiang Rai to Ubon should be do-able in one hit if departing as early as possible after the night curfew ends and only stopping around KK for a p!ss break..

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

All Thai Smile domestic flights swill cease in Thailand on Tuesday with the few remaining destinations being last served next Monday. Then nothing for at least 2 weeks.

I would hope that the OP is well on his way by now and managed to avoid Chiang Mai. The drive from Chiang Rai to Ubon should be do-able in one hit if departing as early as possible after the night curfew ends and only stopping around KK for a p!ss break..

After some thought i have decided to wait and check if the flights might start early May. My vehicle is based in CR and previously i done the return trip by Thai Smile.

If i drive to Ubon then i need to bring the vehicle back again, for myself i am not keen to drive over 1000km in Thailand in one hit.

• Like 1