BANGKOK
prk888

UPDATE - new year U-turns

Northbound U-turn also being closed

An uninterrupted, straight race track for the boy racers from Tesco traffic lights to Boontaworn traffic lights

• Haha 1

i noticed that the other day. U turns in the fast lane is crazy anyway

• Like 2

12 hours ago, prk888 said:

An uninterrupted, straight race track for the boy racers from Tesco traffic lights to Boontaworn traffic lights

Something happen to the lights at Pattaya Tai?

13 minutes ago, topt said:

I saw something near those lights once....a boy racer zoomed past me in his go faster car and  did an almost 360 degree doughnut about 100 meters in front of me..he almost ended up in the central ditch..I was laughing but my wife said why did you stay so close to him ? we where 100 meters apart :crazy:   ohh never mind...

12 hours ago, prk888 said:

You should  hear them racing along the Sukhumvit near Ambassador and Yacht club  near where the motorway will eventually join up nice new tarmac  and very straight...but  not very safe at all  U-turns, dogs, pedestrians...me !!!!!!!

1 hour ago, topt said:

Other way mate....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Other way mate....

Not if Boontawarn (as was called) is the big home improvement store nearly at the Highway 7 entrance - where the tunnel comes out - and going northbound.

If southbound then the lights with the wat on the opposite corner - is that wat called Boontaworn?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, topt said:

Not if Boontawarn (as was called) is the big home improvement store nearly at the Highway 7 entrance - where the tunnel comes out - and going northbound.

If southbound then the lights with the wat on the opposite corner - is that wat called Boontaworn?

That is called Boonthayorn, just South of Homepro.

Yes he means heading south, from the Threpassit lights, near Tesco . Next lights at the Wat, soi Boonkanjana. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

Before the U-turn was created so close to Makro on Sukhumvit Road, there was a U-thrun already in use just 30-40 meters south of that location. It was perfectly functional and in a good location for getting to Makro. Why it was moved to where it was just closed at is beyond my understanding. In the West we like to say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Here it's more like, "how can I make a good commission" no matter whose day it ruins. Hahah... TIT

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ehs818 said:

It was perfectly functional and in a good location for getting to Makro.

If I recall correctly there were quite a few serious accidents, caused by people trying to get into Macro pulling onto Sukhumvit and then going across 3 lanes to get into the entrance. 

Fast moving traffic on Sukhumvit is more important than getting people into the shops. 

Edited by jacko45k

7 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

I was very nearly one of the casualties here while pedalling my bicycle close to Makro. Car coming from U-Turn into Makro nearly wiped me out.

These folks seem to delay pulling out, making up their minds, until it is just about dangerous! And are often only looking one way.....  I have been subject to the left turn moron myself on my motorbike.... not checking their inside... or maybe not giving a damn. U-Turns on major roads are deadly...

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have been subject to the left turn moron myself on my motorbike.... not checking their inside... or maybe not giving a damn. U-Turns on major roads are deadly...

On the other hand, as a car driver, I am continually amazed at the number of motocy riders that insist on trying to overtake me on the inside when I have been clearly signalling for 100m my intention to turn left!!

And then there's the equally moronic that do it when I am signalling that I am pulling into the right lane, with plenty of space to spare.

My philosophy is, "I'm in a car, I won't get hurt, I have insurance, I'm all right Jack. Enjoy your stay in hospital."

Not getting at you personally jacko, just venting!

Edit: I never use that U-turn at Makro, I always go down to the lights at Soi Wat Boon to U-turn and come back to Makro.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not getting at you personally jacko, just venting!

I believe you.... 

My favourite is cars accelerating to get past me on my bike, then braking hard infront to make a left turn. Why the heck not just drop in behind!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I believe you.... 

My favourite is cars accelerating to get past me on my bike, then braking hard infront to make a left turn. Why the heck not just drop in behind!

Guilty!!

In the long distant past, 25 years ago when my mate, a motocy rider, pointed it out to me.

Now, no, I have too many friends that ride motocy, and bicycles, and give them a wide berth when passing or turning. But if they are coming the wrong way down the street. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.