UPDATE - new year U-turns

prk888

12 hours ago, prk888 said:

Northbound U-turn also being closed

An uninterrupted, straight race track for the boy racers from Tesco traffic lights to Boontaworn traffic lights

Something happen to the lights at Pattaya Tai?

13 minutes ago, topt said:

Something happen to the lights at Pattaya Tai?

I saw something near those lights once....a boy racer zoomed past me in his go faster car and  did an almost 360 degree doughnut about 100 meters in front of me..he almost ended up in the central ditch..I was laughing but my wife said why did you stay so close to him ? we where 100 meters apart :crazy:   ohh never mind...

12 hours ago, prk888 said:

Northbound U-turn also being closed

An uninterrupted, straight race track for the boy racers from Tesco traffic lights to Boontaworn traffic lights

You should  hear them racing along the Sukhumvit near Ambassador and Yacht club  near where the motorway will eventually join up nice new tarmac  and very straight...but  not very safe at all  U-turns, dogs, pedestrians...me !!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Other way mate....

Not if Boontawarn (as was called) is the big home improvement store nearly at the Highway 7 entrance - where the tunnel comes out - and going northbound.

If southbound then the lights with the wat on the opposite corner - is that wat called Boontaworn?

24 minutes ago, topt said:

Not if Boontawarn (as was called) is the big home improvement store nearly at the Highway 7 entrance - where the tunnel comes out - and going northbound.

If southbound then the lights with the wat on the opposite corner - is that wat called Boontaworn?

That is called Boonthayorn, just South of Homepro.

Yes he means heading south, from the Threpassit lights, near Tesco . Next lights at the Wat, soi Boonkanjana. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

Before the U-turn was created so close to Makro on Sukhumvit Road, there was a U-thrun already in use just 30-40 meters south of that location. It was perfectly functional and in a good location for getting to Makro. Why it was moved to where it was just closed at is beyond my understanding. In the West we like to say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Here it's more like, "how can I make a good commission" no matter whose day it ruins. Hahah... TIT

13 hours ago, ehs818 said:

It was perfectly functional and in a good location for getting to Makro.

If I recall correctly there were quite a few serious accidents, caused by people trying to get into Macro pulling onto Sukhumvit and then going across 3 lanes to get into the entrance. 

Fast moving traffic on Sukhumvit is more important than getting people into the shops. 

Edited by jacko45k

7 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

I was very nearly one of the casualties here while pedalling my bicycle close to Makro. Car coming from U-Turn into Makro nearly wiped me out.

These folks seem to delay pulling out, making up their minds, until it is just about dangerous! And are often only looking one way.....  I have been subject to the left turn moron myself on my motorbike.... not checking their inside... or maybe not giving a damn. U-Turns on major roads are deadly...

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have been subject to the left turn moron myself on my motorbike.... not checking their inside... or maybe not giving a damn. U-Turns on major roads are deadly...

On the other hand, as a car driver, I am continually amazed at the number of motocy riders that insist on trying to overtake me on the inside when I have been clearly signalling for 100m my intention to turn left!!

And then there's the equally moronic that do it when I am signalling that I am pulling into the right lane, with plenty of space to spare.

My philosophy is, "I'm in a car, I won't get hurt, I have insurance, I'm all right Jack. Enjoy your stay in hospital."

Not getting at you personally jacko, just venting!

Edit: I never use that U-turn at Makro, I always go down to the lights at Soi Wat Boon to U-turn and come back to Makro.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not getting at you personally jacko, just venting!

I believe you.... 

My favourite is cars accelerating to get past me on my bike, then braking hard infront to make a left turn. Why the heck not just drop in behind!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I believe you.... 

My favourite is cars accelerating to get past me on my bike, then braking hard infront to make a left turn. Why the heck not just drop in behind!

Guilty!!

In the long distant past, 25 years ago when my mate, a motocy rider, pointed it out to me.

Now, no, I have too many friends that ride motocy, and bicycles, and give them a wide berth when passing or turning. But if they are coming the wrong way down the street. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Now, no, I have too many friends that ride motocy, and bicycles, and give them a wide berth when passing or turning. But if they are coming the wrong way down the street. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

That is why I don't keep to the extreme left (gutter) here, it is for people coming the other way and entering from the left without looking

Edited by jacko45k

• 2 weeks later...

The southbound U-turn to go north is blocked. 

The north bound U-turn to go south is still open. 

Today at 10.30a.m. 3 cars pointing south were queueing in the fast lane to go north by using the open south bound U-turn  !

Unbloodybelievable

On 4/15/2020 at 11:04 AM, prk888 said:

The north bound U-turn to go south is still open. 

Today at 10.30a.m. 3 cars pointing south were queueing in the fast lane to go north by using the open south bound U-turn  !

Unbloodybelievable

Yes, although there are less vehicles on the road, the number of bloody idiots has not decreased any.

• Like 1

Do you ever read what you write?

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Do you ever read what you write?

If you know the junction it does actually make sense......

The open south bound U-turn is when you are heading north and turn to go back the other way - south.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, topt said:

If you know the junction it does actually make sense......

The open south bound U-turn is when you are heading north and turn to go back the other way - south.

The southbound U-turn to go north is blocked

by using the open south bound U-turn

So you think it makes sense to contradict yourself in one and the same post?

Which of the U-turns is called South or North bound is up to discussion or maybe personal opinion, but if you call a particular one South bound, at least make up your mind if it is open or closed.

Peace

• Sad 2

Ah ha !  It seems that English is your second language Susco  and if so then all becomes clearer.  However try as I can unfortunately your post #24 is really confusing to me.

• 1 month later...

At last !  

Following yet another death yesterday at the still open U-Turn (the one those going north can u-turn to go south) I now see that that too is also closed off. 

Let's hope it also will be permanently closed now.

Yesterday's thread informs that not one but 2 kids were killed on the 'Makro' U-turns which are now both haphazardly sealed off with steel barriers lashed together.

This afternoon I watched as 2 young motor cyclists drove east- west &  into the north-bound traffic across the now grassed-over original U-turns a few hundred meters south of the Makro ones. 

Killing zone just returned south again.

I'm told the 'Authorities' do read TVF.  Let's hope so

On 4/15/2020 at 11:04 AM, prk888 said:

@Susco ...Do you ever read what you write?

Mr Susco...in this case you should apologize to Mr prk888.  What he says describes this U-turn area correctly. So maybe you should read before you write.

As I said in an earlier post the same idiocrocy happened to me last week. Because the U-turn is a half moon shape, any cars or bikes that use it illegally must exit very slowly, as they must thread their way through it.

NOTE::: But I've read that it is now closed off--best way.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

@Susco ...Do you ever read what you write?

Mr Susco...in this case you should apologize to Mr prk888.  What he says describes this U-turn area correctly. So maybe you should read before you write.

As I said in an earlier post the same idiocrocy happened to me last week. Because the U-turn is a half moon shape, any cars or bikes that use it illegally must exit very slowly, as they must thread their way through it.

NOTE::: But I've read that it is now closed off--best way.

Go away potato

And before someone start again about my English, it's pretty much up to scale.

There is a South bound u-turn where cars can turn to go back north. That one was CLOSED on 15 April.

There is a North bound u-turrn where cars can turn to head back south. This one was OPEN on 15 April and is just very recently closed.

How can 3 cars be queueing to go north by using a south bound u-turn that is blocked?

Edited by Susco

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Go away potato

And before someone start again about my English, it's pretty much up to scale.

There is a South bound u-turn where cars can turn to go back north. That one was CLOSED on 15 April.

There is a North bound u-turrn where cars can turn to head back south. This one was OPEN on 15 April and is just very recently closed.

How can 3 cars be queueing to go north by using a south bound u-turn that is blocked?

Ah Mr Susco--It was actually blocked just before 11am...so those 3 cars were probably the last to use the turn illegally...you must catch up.

Anyway it doesn't matter anymore.. both blocked.. hopefully no more deaths.