Govt will impose 24-hour curfew if Covid-19 situation does not improve

webfact

It seems that you want to destroy even the little that is left, how do you want to solve the problem of all those who will not be able to work?
PROBLEM, PROBLEM, PROBLEM ....

I think the "elected" military government is not up to the situation.

Why don't they implement what really works, stay at home orders, only allowing people out to do things that are necessary, like grocery shopping. Here in Pattaya the traffic is light, but there are still plenty of people out and about. The beaches are still open for some reason. I believe some restaurants are still open. Why is that? Other than takeout they should be closed. If this government does things properly the disease won't get to second base. However curfews don't do a damn thing. Military leaders just have one playbook unfortunately and don't learn from others.

17 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Dont be giving them ideas

If they want to completely disorganize their already sick economy this is the right thing to do.
but they won't.
It is an announcement to scare those who do not believe in the danger of the virus.
Make them wear a mask,
force them to wash their hands frequently,
force them to stay away from others when they leave their house,
etc ...

If they were actually testing on a rate of developed nations we would already be there. The big hammer. Must say though almost everyone wearing maks. This will help. A 6hr overnight curfew should stop idiots (farangs who still think it's party time for example) poss. spreading it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Obviously another well thought out idea from the powers that be. You can't fix stupid. It would not surprise me if we end up with soldiers on the street with road blocks.

Yes, but just how many armed forces do they have, joined by the police and distributed nationwide into...……: -

cities - huge numbers needed?

towns - large numbers needed?

villages - massive numbers needed?

Rural roads, normal roads and shops?

The numbers required to enforce a 24 hour shutdown exceeds the numbers of personnel required in Thailand!

I could expect to be treated better in a western prison.  If I blew someone's brains out in front of a police station in the US, I'd get free food, a cot and free health care.  Here....threats from the frightened patricians, who aren't practicing work from home, curfews or social distancing.  They just don't want the plebes to make them sick.

17 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Stock up now, a human can live on 1200 calories a day.  canned meat (mackerel is mt fav) plus a cup of rice or noddles.  Water of course.  at least 1 liter per day.

Veggies or fruits only last 3-4 days, so you may not be getting many vitamins and roughage.  Oatmeal, Muesli can help 

Seriously - this will be almost impossible to carry out and enforce IMO

Fear tactics from those who are in charge is nothing new.

Hang in there, Thailand doing better than many other countries

I guess if you're an averege 50kg Thai male with the body of a 10 year old girl ???? 

I need 3500cal per day to maintain my bodyweight and drink 4 liters of water per day to feel healthy. Well, I guess if they really do it and at least give a bit of warning, just gotta order a chest freezer and will it with meat and frozen vegetables. Maybe a few kgs of tuna cans and pasta would do as well, and a tap water filter. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, keith101 said:

It has zero chance of improving within one week , they should take a close look at how other countries are doing and act accordingly but a 24 hr lock-down is just ridiculous . The numbers will keep rising because people just kept ignoring social distancing as well as Thai returning from infected countries and spreading the virus .

Exactly, Badly written

I think the statement referes to those who are supposed to be on self isolation. But then again!

19 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Why don't they implement what really works, stay at home orders, only allowing people out to do things that are necessary, like grocery shopping. Here in Pattaya the traffic is light, but there are still plenty of people out and about. The beaches are still open for some reason. I believe some restaurants are still open. Why is that? Other than takeout they should be closed. If this government does things properly the disease won't get to second base. However curfews don't do a damn thing. Military leaders just have one playbook unfortunately and don't learn from others.

Do keep up- the beaches are closed, restaurants are not open .

Last night was really quiet - so the evening curfew is working .

maybe it’s the term curfew that has got so many agitated - we have curfews during coups etc - tanks on the street etc.

its more a restriction of movement- only being able to go out for essential reasons - as put in place by many countries.

As many have pointed out - the Thai way of life for many has to involve trips to the market etc. They don’t have the luxury of living in large houses - with freezers full of provisions.

In my past home country- we have 500- 600 deaths a day- nothing like that here.

Stay calm. 

17 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The people will be Revolting, 

Perhaps thats what should happen in response to such a revolting proposal.

They already have probably hundreds of thousands infected they have not identified because of the tiny amount of testing, so how are the numbers going to reduce. Numbers are going to increase not reduce.

Looks like this is a fixed plan.

Why are they not going out imposing the restrictions. Why are all the construction sites still carrying on as if nothing happened?

57 minutes ago, Greg O said:

Hey the traffic fatality numbers are bound to improve. What heros they are for keeping us safe ! 

Can you traffic death guys put it aside for awhile.  Traffic deaths will never change because they do not enforce the laws as written.  So no amount of harping on it will fix it....

The Op is about the possibility of a 24/7 curfew.  Without true numbers I can not see why we are where we are.  No reference point to base such a severe and drastic action, unless we are truly being told porkies (wink, wink).  So if it happens you know the whole of Thailand is in a bad way.  If it does happen, then I would also hope they would do something about immigration and reporting.  They have all of our info already, and they could drive those wonderful smart BMW's to each building and of course bring there stamps and complete the extensions for us there or do the required reporting needed.  It would keep immigration busy at least instead of twiddling their thumbs.....just saying.  If not we would still have to get to a bank, or get an embassy letter depending on where you are.  For an extension of stay how would we get the medical certificate as well.....to many pieces they need to work on....

48 minutes ago, 30la said:

It seems that you want to destroy even the little that is left, how do you want to solve the problem of all those who will not be able to work?
PROBLEM, PROBLEM, PROBLEM ....

I think the "elected" military government is not up to the situation.

No one in any country is....Think globally, not just whats in front of your eyes...

31 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

If they want to completely disorganize their already sick economy this is the right thing to do.
but they won't.
It is an announcement to scare those who do not believe in the danger of the virus.
Make them wear a mask,
force them to wash their hands frequently,
force them to stay away from others when they leave their house,
etc ...

Never believe its just a threat to scare.  If you have been here for any amount of time and lived through the Coups and such, you will see it for what it is....

At 24 hour lockdown nation wide may sound to those in charge as perhaps a good idea... on the street or local level it simply will not work. For who is going to enforce it and if they think that the local population is going to follow it... think again.

This country is holding it own far better per capita than many others. Yes... the numbers as reported seem to be flattening... and stricker measures might seem like a good strategy to force those numbers down even more. But the fact remains that 24 curfews will exhaust what patients and what financial capabilities the local population has left right now. 

As for closing the country off from the rest of the world... close the airports and inbound flights thereby making it impossible for their fellow thais to return home (as embassies everywhere are telling people to do) is not going to help either except getting this government even more raised eyebrows and even less respect. Do not forget that the financial impact from all of these maneuvers have even been contemplated let alone planned for here. 

If we follow the wash your hands and practice social distancing rules and playing it safe individually as well as keeping calm (for panic never is helpful) we can ride this out together. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Stock up now, a human can live on 1200 calories a day.  canned meat (mackerel is mt fav) plus a cup of rice or noddles.  Water of course.  at least 1 liter per day.

Veggies or fruits only last 3-4 days, so you may not be getting many vitamins and roughage.  Oatmeal, Muesli can help 

Seriously - this will be almost impossible to carry out and enforce IMO

Fear tactics from those who are in charge is nothing new.

Hang in there, Thailand doing better than many other countries

Yeah. Panic buy. That's the sort of comment that will make people do it. 'Stock up now'! Go for it. Good responsible comments like that are all we need.

2 minutes ago, iamariva1957 said:

At 24 hour lockdown nation wide may sound to those in charge as perhaps a good idea... on the street or local level it simply will not work. For who is going to enforce it and if they think that the local population is going to follow it... think again.

This country is holding it own far better per capita than many others. Yes... the numbers as reported seem to be flattening... and stricker measures might seem like a good strategy to force those numbers down even more. But the fact remains that 24 curfews will exhaust what patients and what financial capabilities the local population has left right now. 

As for closing the country off from the rest of the world... close the airports and inbound flights thereby making it impossible for their fellow thais to return home (as embassies everywhere are telling people to do) is not going to help either except getting this government even more raised eyebrows and even less respect. Do not forget that the financial impact from all of these maneuvers have even been contemplated let alone planned for here. 

If we follow the wash your hands and practice social distancing rules and playing it safe individually as well as keeping calm (for panic never is helpful) we can ride this out together. 

Have you lived here during a Coup like some of us.  If you have then you would understand how this can and would be handled.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Do keep up- the beaches are closed, restaurants are not open .

Last night was really quiet - so the evening curfew is working .

In Pattaya it has been "quiet" for 17 days (since March 18)  yes there were some people partying on the beach but very few relative to the size of the beach here.  Social distancing is working.  another week or so and results will show it is reducing the infection rate.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Have you lived here during a Coup like some of us.  If you have then you would understand how this can and would be handled.......

Yes I was here and have been for years now. I also know that the financial impact all of this has already implemented on the local level has not been addressed and could easily lead to unrest as we all saw and experienced during the coup.

• Like 2

No other country has seen an improving situation At this stage of the cycle, so I’d say Thailand’s will get worse before it gets better. In which case a 24 hour curfew is a given. Might as well do it now and get it over with.

every country other than China has taken incremental measures to fight this virus. Ok, for the first few it took a while to realise what we are dealing with, but now, surely it’s obvious that you need to go straight to the most stringent measures immediately. Save some time/lives.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, iamariva1957 said:

Yes I was here and have been for years now. I also know that the financial impact all of this has already implemented on the local level has not been addressed and could easily lead to unrest as we all saw and experienced during the coup.

Of course it could, just look at whats happening in the Philippines now. Anything is possible, but have you also looked at what the financial stimulus programs they are trying to implement might do.  I am sure they are taking everything into consideration at this point.  They are already under heavy scrutiny by there own people and I am sure they do not want this to blow up.  It is more than likely why they have been so slow to respond.  They put blinders on at first because they were thinking of the economy. In my view that was where the train started to go off the rails.  Then it was the issue of reporting....you can read between the lines, at least any normal and rational person can. 

18 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

How, pray tell, can a nation that mostly feeds itself by a daily shopping trip, stay in under 24 hour curfew ?
We are in Thailand, not La-La Land.
Bring it on !

Yes indeed, and the daily shopping trips, mainly for food out in the "sticks", still include take-away plastic bags!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, z42 said:

How does a 24 hour curfew work? How are people supposed to get food and other essential items? 

Serious question

Same can go out for food or medical ... but can walk away or meet people you not see news or just stupid from living thailand too long

17 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

It will be only to the store and pharmacy and hospital. Any other 24hr crack-pot idea will have a revolt. And they best not stop selling alcohol. Another case for a revolt.

In Canada alcohol and marijuana stores have been deemed essential service and remain open. So glad I'm in isolation here. Good luck to all and just stay home. 

They are like a bunch of little kids, trying each day to find something new to impose on the country, without first seeing if existing measures are working. The rationalle behind this makes no sence. Official daily figures, if you believe them or not are trending down. 143, 136, 127, 120, 104 and 103. This should be something to be positive about and not spreading further fear and uncertancy in the general population.