Covid-19 outbreak dents wealth of many Thai tycoons

webfact

6 hours ago, timendres said:

Come on guys, show some compassion. Some of these guys are about to lose a digit from their net worth. For most of these guys, that would be worse than going hungry.

Having spent many years on Wall Street working alongside very rich folks (although not in this league, obviously), you might be surprised how pathetic and empty their existence really is. You really do end up feeling bad for them. And a bit upset that they cannot see beyond their myopic world, and do something more meaningful with their money.

Isn't accumulating more wealth off the backs of poor people? meaningful? 

15 hours ago, webfact said:

As a result, 38 tycoons on the list suffered declines in their net worth, including six whose fortunes shrank by more than $1 billion.

Oh ! Poor people !
How I pity them ...:w00t:
Maybe a "go fund me" in preparation?

• Haha 2

This will obviously trigger a government "Stimulus" package!  That means that the government will pump some of our tax money into these big corporations to make the 'economy' look healthier.  The US does the same thing, they are just a tiny bit more subtle about it.  ????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The nation’s 50 richest on the 2020 Forbes Thailand Rich List saw $28 billion erased from their combined wealth, which declined 18 per cent to US$132 billion.

Must be tough at the top !!

At least some good is coming out of this virus. When was the last time you heard of a major foundation being set up by one of these guys, one of them signing the "pledge", or one of them doing amazing things for the Thai people? They appear to be some of the stingiest people of wealth on the planet. Little sympathy for their losses. Boonchai Bencharongkul (the founder of Dtac) is one of the few I know of who is actually doing things to benefit the nation and its people. MOCA Bangkok is a good example of that. The so called Hi-So here is not exactly a good example of community spirit. 

12 hours ago, timendres said:

Come on guys, show some compassion. Some of these guys are about to lose a digit from their net worth. For most of these guys, that would be worse than going hungry.

Having spent many years on Wall Street working alongside very rich folks (although not in this league, obviously), you might be surprised how pathetic and empty their existence really is. You really do end up feeling bad for them. And a bit upset that they cannot see beyond their myopic world, and do something more meaningful with their money.

I've been around the rich too and they do live pathetic and empty existence, but unfortunately their greed and avarice destroys the lives of all the regular people they prey upon.  I've no compassion for this class of pathetic losers.  As long as they suck air they pose a problem to the rest of humanity. 

• Like 1

While your hearts are bleeding for the tycoons what their talking about is share prices.

That's where you pensions,, investments and saving are generally located. Even if you're under the assumption some pensions / investments might be govt backed, protected, insured. A lot, lot more nasty surprises coming.

22 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Ah <deleted> diddums !

What about the poor people without a pot to <deleted> in, who will have trouble putting food on the table ?

If you have nothing you can lose nothing - my heart bleeds for the poor.  One should expect a sharp uptick in crime as the poor, many of them already severely in debt, become more and more desperate.

First thoughts: - 

They will be devastated - horrified - angry and scared.

They will still be in the top 1%.

They will use every excuse, demand, order, control of this government to retrieve their losses.

The common population are not to be considered.

They are the priority!

GET MY MONEY BACK!