Thais in Japan urged to delay return until April 15

snoop1130

By THE NATION

800_b0e8b8bbde4cded.jpg

The government has asked Thai people in Japan to delay their return home until April 15, the Royal Thai Embassy of Tokyo informed on Friday (April 3) through its Facebook page.

“On Thursday (April 2), the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration approved that Thai people in foreign countries should delay or suspend their return until April 15,” the embassy said.

The embassy said it needed to suspend registration and issuing of certificates for returning to Thailand from April 3 to 15, and will resume the service as usual from April 16.

Those who have received the certificate can return as scheduled. However, the embassy asked them to prepare a medical certificate issued not more than 72 hours before the journey to show airport officials when checking in.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385343

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-03

44 minutes ago, Jeff Simoneaux said:

What about foreigners with retirement visas for 4 years in Thailand and trying to return to there homes in Thailand? Does anyone have any good news for me?

indeed what about it?

you are a foreigner who stayed in thailand for 4 years on retirement visa,

and now you can't return at all. 

you might have assets here, apartment, car parked somewhere, cat and dog waiting to be fed,

and you can't go back to the country you called home.

3 months ago the virus was discovered in thailand.

two months ago millions of chinese could still come.

last month all gates were open, 

and now all of a sudden you can't go back to your home,

just because you travelled to japan.

amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

If this how they treat their own, we're screwed!

It’s sadly reassuring that the elite don’t just have contempt for us; but also for their own. 

Let’s hope lots of people are woken up by all of this when it’s over. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

But what if Thais, who’ve gone to a crowded Japanese immigration office and are asked to pay the equivalent of 1900 baht, are refused an extension of stay?

Say what? There’s a waiver on all visas for foreign nationals in Japan? Well, it’s good to see many countries are offering a basic level of human decency. I assume Thailand are doing the same, right?

Edited by rkidlad

4 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

in january, when the first cases were discovered in china - and thailand !!  - makes

you wanna scream.

if only gates were closed to the  chinese back in january, thailand

could escape this disaster.

From talking to people I know in hospitals here, I don't believe it came in with the Chinese. It seems to me it didn't really hit Thailand until Thai expats started returning, especially from Europe. Maybe the pii noi, but without proper testing we'll probably never know. The Chinese government seem to have turned off the tourist tap from Wuhan in time (nothing to do with the Thai authorities). Read some of the anecdotal evidence from the cases, and it's middle-class to wealthier Thais that have brought it back with them from trips to Korea and Europe, along with returning students etc.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Simoneaux said:

What about foreigners with retirement visas for 4 years in Thailand and trying to return to there homes in Thailand? Does anyone have any good news for me?

They probably think that you should be grateful that they let you stay for four years, and now it's time for you to go back home.

4 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

you might have assets here, apartment, car parked somewhere, cat and dog waiting to be fed,

As the old saying goes: Never invest more in Thailand than you are prepared to walk away from.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Why is that a magic date?

On studying my wall planner, I see April 15th would have been the last day of Songkran 2020 (now cancelled). So, this possibly prevents anyone trying to return to family homes for "unofficial" traditional Songkran festivities (April 13 - April 15)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

From talking to people I know in hospitals here, I don't believe it came in with the Chinese. It seems to me it didn't really hit Thailand until Thai expats started returning, especially from Europe. Maybe the pii noi, but without proper testing we'll probably never know. The Chinese government seem to have turned off the tourist tap from Wuhan in time (nothing to do with the Thai authorities). Read some of the anecdotal evidence from the cases, and it's middle-class to wealthier Thais that have brought it back with them from trips to Korea and Europe, along with returning students etc.

Yes, China did a great job annoying the virus by ignoring it and making it feel unwanted. The virus decided that it would just move to Europe and South Korea without the assistance of human beings. 

Hey, we know the CCP lied and tried to cover up the virus which let it spread around the world, but they wouldn’t lie about the number of infections and deaths. They do have some morals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

On studying my wall planner, I see April 15th would have been the last day of Songkran 2020 (now cancelled). So, this possibly prevents anyone trying to return to family homes for "unofficial" traditional Songkran festivities (April 13 - April 15)!

Plausible, thanks.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, Emdog said:

Didn't earlier story said all flight arrivals are now over?

Well, they could come by ship I suppose

Welcome to new era of boat people

and where would the ship dock?? If NOT get permission to dock....then they would be stuck on board !!