Mexico stops brewing Corona beer, deemed non-essential in epidemic

snoop1130

Mexico stops brewing Corona beer, deemed non-essential in epidemic

By Adriana Barrera

vlcsnap-2020-04-03-19h21m56s799.png

Mexico's Grupo Modelo said on Thursday it will temporarily stop brewing Corona beer and other brands exported to 180 countries after its business activities were declared non-essential. Ciara Lee reports

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico's Grupo Modelo said on Thursday it will temporarily stop brewing Corona beer and other brands exported to 180 countries after its business activities were declared non-essential under a government order aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus.

The Mexican government this week declared a health emergency and ordered the suspension of non-essential activities after the number of coronavirus cases in the country surpassed 1,000. On Thursday, it reported 1,510 cases and 50 deaths.

The brewer said in a statement that the suspension will go into place from Sunday and that it was already in the process of scaling down production to a level at which it could resume once the suspension is lifted.

"If the federal government considers it appropriate to issue some clarification confirming beer as an agro-industrial product, at Grupo Modelo we are ready to execute a plan with more than 75% of our staff working from home and at the same time guaranteeing the supply of beer," the statement said.

Agriculture and food production in general are considered essential activities.

Grupo Modelo <GPMCF.PK>, which is part of the brewing group Anheuser-Busch InBev, operates 11 breweries in Mexico.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-03
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, daoyai said:

It's ok, but Modelo (owned by A. Busch ! ). makes better,  Modelo Negra being the best.  I'm here in Mexico now, Corona costs about $2.60 US a six pack

It used to cost under $3.00 per six pack when I drank it during the late 80s/early 90s. Then some very smart marketing people essentially rebranded it as a fancy import and hiked the price way up. Decent beer. Overpriced, especially for those of us who have paid far less for it.

Edited by Crazy Alex

5 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Actually, you're wrong. The Corona brand is worth $10.1 billion. While Corona is a very popular beer in the US, it has also gained popularity all over the world (emphasis added for your convenience)

Corona is the leading brand in Mexico and imported to more than 120 countries through beer giant Anheuser-Busch InBev. Revenue for the brand rose 17.6% last year after a 19.9% jump in 2017. The gains were even more robust outside of its Mexican home market, with sales up 28.5% led by China, Colombia and Western Europe. Volume was up more than 75% in Brazil. Corona Extra was introduced to the U.S. market in 1981 and became the fastest growing imported beer in U.S. history. Today Corona is imported to the U.S. by Constellation Brands (AB InBev has rights to the rest of the globe). Corona is the No. 1 imported beer in the U.S.

https://www.forbes.com/companies/corona/#5065559e1472

May I suggest you consider the possibility that just because you don't like a given product or service doesn't mean it's not very popular. Just look how what is likely your logic led you to make an incredibly wrong assertion.

Where I am,  Superior is the big seller cuz it's the cheapest,  all Mexican beers taste great on a 40 degree day (like today)...  Best and most expensive local beer is Bohemia,  Bohemia pilsner is great and their "Vienna" style dark is good too.

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Like this, Comrade?

Just joking with you Chomps.....555!

It's actually 9% ABV....

Nickel-Brook-Bolshevik.jpg

I’m not a fan of very strong (high alcohol) ales.

The 5% of many modern brews is already too high for my personal taste.

Quaffing ‘session’ ales is much more my thing, but they are hard to find these days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not a fan of very strong (high alcohol) ales.

The 5% of many modern brews is already too high for my personal taste.

Quaffing ‘session’ ales is much more my thing, but they are hard to find these days.

Yes, I take your point about high ABV. I enjoy the taste of decent beer, & my aim isn't to get bladdered.

Doubt they'll ever be good micro brewery beers that are popular in the US/ UK.

Do you have a favourite beer?

Same as wine really. Some of the South African & Australian wines can be 14%; a few glasses & I feel the alcohol too quickly, & can't enjoy it so much.

Have a good day - no sarcasm intended.

*Smile emoji*

13 hours ago, daoyai said:

It's ok, but Modelo (owned by A. Busch ! ). makes better,  Modelo Negra being the best.  I'm here in Mexico now, Corona costs about $2.60 US a six pack

1 bottle at big c. 98 baht.  1.30 us

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, faraday said:

Yes, I take your point about high ABV. I enjoy the taste of decent beer, & my aim isn't to get bladdered.

Doubt they'll ever be good micro brewery beers that are popular in the US/ UK.

Do you have a favourite beer?

Same as wine really. Some of the South African & Australian wines can be 14%; a few glasses & I feel the alcohol too quickly, & can't enjoy it so much.

Have a good day - no sarcasm intended.

*Smile emoji*

Without a doubt I do.

Marston’s Pedigree.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Actually, you're wrong. The Corona brand is worth $10.1 billion. While Corona is a very popular beer in the US, it has also gained popularity all over the world (emphasis added for your convenience)

Corona is the leading brand in Mexico and imported to more than 120 countries through beer giant Anheuser-Busch InBev. Revenue for the brand rose 17.6% last year after a 19.9% jump in 2017. The gains were even more robust outside of its Mexican home market, with sales up 28.5% led by China, Colombia and Western Europe. Volume was up more than 75% in Brazil. Corona Extra was introduced to the U.S. market in 1981 and became the fastest growing imported beer in U.S. history. Today Corona is imported to the U.S. by Constellation Brands (AB InBev has rights to the rest of the globe). Corona is the No. 1 imported beer in the U.S.

https://www.forbes.com/companies/corona/#5065559e1472

May I suggest you consider the possibility that just because you don't like a given product or service doesn't mean it's not very popular. Just look how what is likely your logic led you to make an incredibly wrong assertion.

Just one in many incredibly wrong assertions by CH.

• Haha 1