Water shortage!

thailand49

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

How many litres do you consume a week, do you actually know?

Fair question.

I'm not bothered about cost.  I pay something like 200 baht a month, and the water is mostly on when I need it. 

I'm single, but occasionally have company.  I doubt even with company staying the night I use 500L a day. 

Two to three showers a day, one load of laundry, a few flushes a day, washing hands and washing dishes.  Drinking water is bottled. 

Give me the math on that, roughly.

9 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I have a well, water a massive garden for at least 1.5 hours a day and don't use 1000litres.

I just checked my flow rate. 456L per hour at the bathroom faucet. 977L per hour at shower, 804L per hour at low shower faucet, 219L per hour at kitchen faucet.

That averages out at 614L per hour, so 1.5 hours of garden watering would use maybe 900L.

It's a condo. Maybe they've altered the meter, but it's OK, I can handle 450 to 700 baht per month.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I just checked my flow rate. 456L per hour at the bathroom faucet. 977L per hour at shower, 804L per hour at low shower faucet, 219L per hour at kitchen faucet.

That averages out at 614L per hour, so 1.5 hours of garden watering would use maybe 900L.

It's a condo. Maybe they've altered the meter, but it's OK, I can handle 450 to 700 baht per month.

How?

2 minutes ago, swerve said:

Phuket is very parched.  Almost no rain here the past 3 months.  First real rain came last night and lasted one hour.  Need a lot more.  

Even if all the dams were full in Phuket, people would still need water trucks.  The mafia see to that in Phuket.  That's why it's called Pirate Island. 

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Drought scares the heck out of me... my village had rationing for a while too...

good luck.

I hear you on that note.  Hope our village well holds out.  Can't live without water, my worst fear living in the bonnies is running out of water in this crisis. We get the weekly truck that comes by with big bottles of drinking water to sell but sometime they miss a week. We use the local water run through a filter for shower and dishes.   Pray for rain!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

not a big enough volume over not enough period of time to be accurate.

LOL. It's close enough. What would be the point of more accuracy? Why would it matter if I have a shower with a flow rate of 977L per hour, or 950, or 850. I don't normally use it at full pressure anyway and definitely not when I run it through the heater.

I have a 120L drum I could test against the meter, but I'm not that motivated. We have nice clean water at good pressure, so we're happy.

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL. It's close enough. What would be the point of more accuracy? Why would it matter if I have a shower with a flow rate of 977L per hour, or 950, or 850. I don't normally use it at full pressure anyway and definitely not when I run it through the heater.

I have a 120L drum I could test against the meter, but I'm not that motivated. We have nice clean water at good pressure, so we're happy.

What would be the point - the point would be that it would prove the numbers you have posted are incorrect.

So long as you're happy tho, that's the main thing.

Hope the water does n't run out for you there.

Stay safe!

our monthly water bill is around 200 baht, we had new water pipes laid in the area last year and a new pump/pressure station built about 500 meters away in the next street over, the water pressure now is pathetic, if we dont turn on our pump the water dribbles out but the pump runs virtually all the time when it is on because of the lack of water pressure. The water pressure used to be good before they did the new pipes and new water station, have to wonder if they just refuse to turn the electricity on to pocket as much as they can. Our land on the other side of town gets 16000 litred delivered a week so we can water out trees etc, water level drops a lot over the 7 days between deliveries, looking forward to the wet season if it gets here

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, seajae said:

our monthly water bill is around 200 baht, we had new water pipes laid in the area last year and a new pump/pressure station built about 500 meters away in the next street over, the water pressure now is pathetic, if we dont turn on our pump the water dribbles out but the pump runs virtually all the time when it is on because of the lack of water pressure. The water pressure used to be good before they did the new pipes and new water station, have to wonder if they just refuse to turn the electricity on to pocket as much as they can. Our land on the other side of town gets 16000 litred delivered a week so we can water out trees etc, water level drops a lot over the 7 days between deliveries, looking forward to the wet season if it gets here

Sounds like a bigger pipe to increase volume, at the expense of pressure.  If a residence wants pressure, they'll have to get a pump. 

38 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

What would be the point - the point would be that it would prove the numbers you have posted are incorrect.

So long as you're happy tho, that's the main thing.

Hope the water does n't run out for you there.

Stay safe!

I'm testing my flow rate with a 2 litre jug and a stop watch to get a rough estimate of how much water comes out of a faucet in an hour, to get a rough estimate of how much 500L of water use is. 3 x 5 minute showers would cost about 250L at full pressure. That's accurate enough. My numbers are not correct or incorrect. They are intended to be a rough estimate. Let's say +/- 5%.

The best test would be to fill my 120 litre drum and see how that corresponds to the water meter reading. That will tell me if my water meter is calibrated correctly.

I never considered my water use to be high until some people here made some comments about it, so it got me thinking. I'm at the end of a 3 year lease, so it's a bit late now.

As it has hardly rained for months, I'm more concerned about having water rather than how much I use.

Edited by tropo

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'm testing my flow rate with a 2 litre jug and a stop watch to get a rough estimate of how much water comes out of a faucet in an hour, to get a rough estimate of how much 500L of water use is. 3 x 5 minute showers would cost about 250L at full pressure. That's accurate enough. My numbers are not correct or incorrect. They are intended to be a rough estimate. Let's say +/- 5%.

The best test would be to fill my 120 litre drum and see how that corresponds to the water meter reading. That will tell me if my water meter is calibrated correctly.

I never considered my water use to be high until some people here made some comments about it, so it got me thinking. I'm at the end of a 3 year lease, so it's a bit late now.

As it has hardly rained for months, I'm more concerned about having water rather than how much I use.

The "flow rate" is relative to the pipe size.  Maybe you have the same pipe diameter throughout the house, maybe you don't.  Also, what if everyone on your soi or road had their taps on at the same time, surely your flow rate is decreased.

The only accurate figure for comparison you can do is the 120L drum test.   

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

What is it your business how much water a person/household uses?

yes and it all depends on the shower head you have, 360 liters is not a lot.

The shower

A water-efficient showerhead uses approximately 9 litres per minute. An older style showerhead uses approximately 19 litres per minute - that's 10 litres more! Having a daily 5 minute shower with an older style showerhead uses about 36,500 litres of water a year.

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The "flow rate" is relative to the pipe size.  Maybe you have the same pipe diameter throughout the house, maybe you don't.  Also, what if everyone on your soi or road had their taps on at the same time, surely your flow rate is decreased.

The only accurate figure for comparison you can do is the 120L drum test.   

No, my flow rate is determined by the condo water pump on the roof from the tanks on the roof. I never notice any fluctuations in my water pressure, and it helps that there are only 2 other residents in the building.

I'm a bit confused by your comments about neighbours affecting flow rate. I thought that most places, including houses and townhouses had a tank which is filled (usually very slowly) by the external council water supply, and then pumps in the house supply the pressure from the tanks, which will always be the same unless the tank is empty. I suppose some people might just use council pressure, but it's certainly not ideal as the water flow can be very inconsistent. In 3 years I have not ever run out of water. Now that I said that, it'll probably happen tomorrow LOL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

yes and it all depends on the shower head you have, 360 liters is not a lot.

The shower

A water-efficient showerhead uses approximately 9 litres per minute. An older style showerhead uses approximately 19 litres per minute - that's 10 litres more! Having a daily 5 minute shower with an older style showerhead uses about 36,500 litres of water a year.

The shower head is only one aspect of water flow. The size (power) of the pump supplying the water is more important. MIne supplies about 16L per minute, but when I shower I don't keep it running when soaping up. A water efficient showerhead can never equal the luxury of full flow from a non-efficient head. It makes up for lower volume by increasing the speed of the water flow through smaller holes.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

No, my flow rate is determined by the condo water pump on the roof from the tanks on the roof. I never notice any fluctuations in my water pressure, and it helps that there are only 2 other residents in the building.

I'm a bit confused by your comments about neighbours affecting flow rate. I thought that most places, including houses and townhouses had a tank which is filled (usually very slowly) by the external council water supply, and then pumps in the house supply the pressure from the tanks, which will always be the same unless the tank is empty. I suppose some people might just use council pressure, but it's certainly not ideal as the water flow can be very inconsistent. In 3 years I have not ever run out of water. Now that I said that, it'll probably happen tomorrow LOL.

So, you are only testing the system on your own property.  That can be upgraded tomorrow, if you are willing to pay.  if all the taps in the other two residences are on, it could decrease your flow rate, depending on the pump size, and location.

Shouldn't you be testing the pipe at the property boundary?  That's the real water supply.  Once that water is on your property, you can make 1500psi of pressure, if you want to, and you can make 100L per minute flow rate, if you want to, but the tank would drain quick, and you are back to what comes in off the street.

Read the meter.  Then take out the hose that goes to the tank.  Fill your 120L drum.  Go back as read the meter.  Minus second reading from first.  Any more than around 120 liters and you are being ripped off.

Use the same hose to test flow rate, if you really want to, although it's of little consequence, because as I said, it's dependent on how many other taps are on, or tanks being filled, on your soi or road, at that time. 

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

So, you are only testing the system on your own property.  That can be upgraded tomorrow, if you are willing to pay.  if all the taps in the other two residences are on, it could decrease your flow rate, depending on the pump size, and location.

Shouldn't you be testing the pipe at the property boundary?  That's the real water supply.  Once that water is on your property, you can make 1500psi of pressure, if you want to, and you can make 100L per minute flow rate, if you want to, but the tank would drain quick, and you are back to what comes in off the street.

Read the meter.  Then take out the hose that goes to the tank.  Fill your 120L drum.  Go back as read the meter.  Minus second reading from first.  Any more than around 120 liters and you are being ripped off.

Use the same hose to test flow rate, if you really want to, although it's of little consequence, because as I said, it's dependent on how many other taps are on, or tanks being filled, on your soi or road, at that time. 

Do you always treat people like they're idiots? Are you a school teacher?

Of course I'm testing my own system. The water supply from the road is totally irrelevant. Why would that be of any consideration at all? Apart from its ability to fill the tank on the roof, who cares? I get charged for water per m3 by the condo management. It seems to be you need a lesson in how condo water systems work. The council water is pumped to BIG tanks on the roof, then filtered, and then pumped to each condo as it is required.

I already said i've never had a supply problem in the 3 years I've been here. Also my neighbours are irrelevant as there is enough pressure latency in the system to supply me at the same speed whenever I open the faucet and I only have 2 neighbours. Nearly 1000L per hour from the shower nozzle should indicate I have more than enough pressure, and it is always strong.

I really don't need a lesson on how to do this. You're just being annoyingly pedantic over nothing. I'm not going to fill a 120L drum to see if my water meter is correctly calibrated. Do you read before replying? I told you this is the last month of a 3 year contract. It's too late to find out if I might have been overcharged by a few baht here or there. I doubt I have been, but I don't care either way and I don't feel like going to the trouble to prove it. It's water under the bridge.

8 hours ago, tropo said:

your last sentence is all i agree on.

Let's hope it rains soon.

16 hours ago, tropo said:

I'm really surprised the council hasn't banned watering gardens yet. That should have been stopped months ago.

Why would they, this last week I've seen police directing traffic on Soi Siam Country while they had a number of fire trucks spraying down the Muslim Church. Another day they were washing down the same Soi, there is no evidence do this will stop the Virus. Top that off I went by Pattaya United Stadium they had all the sprinklers on during the high of the afternoon sun did they not get the memo that play had been suspended no large gatherings?????‍✈️

8 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

your last sentence is all i agree on.

Let's hope it rains soon.

All of what you offered in your previous posts was completely irrelevant.

Yes, let's hope it rains soon.

Edited by tropo

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Why would they, this last week I've seen police directing traffic on Soi Siam Country while they had a number of fire trucks spraying down the Muslim Church. Another day they were washing down the same Soi, there is no evidence do this will stop the Virus. Top that off I went by Pattaya United Stadium they had all the sprinklers on during the high of the afternoon sun did they not get the memo that play had been suspended no large gatherings?????‍✈️

It will happen soon.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Irrelevant to you coz you don't understand.

Why would you think that Mr knowitall Tropo doesn't understand?

He has a shower nozzle that has a flow of 1000 liter per hour Woehaaa, that must be some kind of shower nozzle

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

With no Songkran this year there should be loads of water to go around....?..

Did you have a look at the reservoirs?

So far this year, at my location we had not more than 2 hours rain in total, and we had already very little rain in the last months of the previous year.

In my 25 years here, I've never seen such a dry year