BANGKOK
sometimewoodworker

Buying a new car in late April/May/June?

Posted (edited)

The standard for new car sales seems to be that you usually get little to nothing off the price unless the model is on the way out. Sure they give “free” stuff but 5% seems to be the most on a 1.3m new model (price includes the extras) and you have to fight for that.

My guess is that the dealers may be going to have to do deals that haven’t been seen before.

We will, at some time buy a Mazda 3 but we were planning on next year, but if there are amazing deals being offered our thinking may change.

I have no idea if that’s a possibility. If anyone has anything more than speculation or wishful thinking I would be very interested.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

The Mazda Dealership down the street from me on Rama 4 near Lumpini Park, has been selling vehicle left and right lately.  Not sure what the prices are but as I walk that way several times during the day, I always see folks signing what appear to be contracts and then later on my way back observe them having their photos taken with the car and balloons being given to them.  They must be making money just like the Mercedes dealership on the other side of the Lumpini MRT as the new cars in the lot are turning over quickly.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Wait a couple of moths and there's going to be lots of re-possessed or nearly new returned vehicles on the market. New sales may cease completely

That is my suspicion.

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Mazda Dealership down the street from me on Rama 4 near Lumpini Park, has been selling vehicle left and right lately.

In the last few days or so?

Anything before that will probably have been decided weeks ago when nobody was thinking that thailand would be shutting down.

it will be interesting to see what happens in a month or so.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

9 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Wait a couple of moths and there's going to be lots of re-possessed or nearly new returned vehicles on the market. New sales may cease completely after a few missed monthly pay cheques and lay-offs. It's going to be a buyers market.

just have to be careful... of all those grubby past fingers, and coughs that you will be sharing that test drive with! 

Picked up a new CX5 DXL for 1.4 million. list price 1.75 million. Not sure if that is good or not, but well impressed with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Picked up a new CX5 DXL for 1.4 million. list price 1.75 million. Not sure if that is good or not, but well impressed with it.

That seems like a very good price, assuming it’s this years model.

Did it need a lot of talking to get it down to that? Was it a finance or cash deal?

thanks for the input.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That seems like a very good price, assuming it’s this years model.

Did it need a lot of talking to get it down to that? Was it a finance or cash deal?

thanks for the input.

Cash. It had been used as the "showroom run about", but only had 100k on the clock. Bought in a bit of rush as we were stranded at the time bit still seemed like a good deal. At 64 not too bothered about resale value, so just went for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Cash. It had been used as the "showroom run about", but only had 100k on the clock.

It was certainly reasonable to good, though as a demonstrator I’m not sure it was a fantastic. Do you really mean 100k? ( 100,000) or did an extra zero or 2 slip in

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It was certainly reasonable to good, though as a demonstrator I’m not sure it was a fantastic. Do you really mean 100k? ( 100,000) or did an extra zero or 2 slip in

Sorry!!! A 100 km. 5555

10 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Sorry!!! A 100 km. 5555

OK then it’s between very good and excellent & I’m sure you’re happy at the price 

• Like 2

Not car related but i just bought a 6 month old motorbike for 30% off the list price. It was from a rental firm and they have no one left to rent it to.

• Like 1

My guess is that the longer you wait, the better the deals will be. Thinking back to the '08 crash, things actually started going south in late 2007, but it took a few months for the :hit-the-fan:

It'll be the same this time - things are okay right now, but give it time...

• Like 2

I'd tend to agree. There was already plenty of talk and signs the economy was going to be bad this year, and that was <before> Covid.  I'm betting you see car companies and dealers get fairly desperate with deals late this year, and possibly even another government stimulus for car buying, like they did ~7yr ago, if the economy really doesn't recover.