Which dashcam do you use in Thailand?

I don't really want to invest time to comparing, searching etc etc. Checking out Lazada, Xiaomi seems to be most popular choice. With prices from 900 to 2000 baht. Are they any good for average user?

What are you using and at what price range?

• Like 1

I had good luck with a Xiaomi Yi dash camera, which is in the price range.  Worked fine, and didn't shut down on overheat in the Thai sun.  They have several other interesting models out now, but I have no personal experience with them.  (I also had great luck with a Xiaomi Yi action camera, so I think the brand is solid)

Ultimately though, I went with a MiVue and a Magellan dash cameras with GPS.  (Identical units except for the brand name)  It was worth the extra money to be able to tie some things I found along the way with the GPS location.  With the software, I could view my trip with a map showing where I was when things flashed by.   I had one facing forward, and another one facing the rear.  I'm not sure they're still available on Lazada at all, or for the reasonable price I paid for them a few years back. (3,000 baht each, +/-)

20 hours of recording on a 128GB micro SD card.  And don't cheap out on the SD card.  It needs to be fast... Category 10 (not Cat4), and the faster the better.  

• Like 2

I bought this one off Lazada same 2018!

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4-hd-1080p-wdr-hdr-2parking-monitor-30-fhd-1080p-4k-hd-1-car-dvr-camera-32g-i824394527-s1688248087.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.2ced3847cKc2gS&search=1

Has  rear camera now, which is better (can double up as reverse camera) + 170 degree angle lens! touch screen now! better - metal case seems improvement + battery seems better now - than previous! ones i've had.

under 1,000 baht still going! can replace cheap enough if problems!

records front + back, my insurance gave me a discount also!

I cant see the point buy expensive, when you can replace then cheaply and easily  nowadays!

2 hours ago, Martinpeter said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4-hd-1080p-wdr-hdr-2parking-monitor-30-fhd-1080p-4k-hd-1-car-dvr-camera-32g-i824394527-s1688248087.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.2ced3847cKc2gS&search=1

Has  rear camera now, which is better (can double up as reverse camera) + 170 degree angle lens! touch screen now! better - metal case seems improvement + battery seems better now - than previous! ones i've had.

I cant see the point buy expensive, when you can replace then cheaply and easily  nowadays!

But the cheapy may not work at the one time you want it too.....????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Martinpeter said:

You have to run wires to the back cam or is it wireless like some RV cams....

8 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Yes you have run the wires through the car, from the camera! 

quite easy to do? i mounted mine inside the back window, rather than outside low down!

Quote: As Transam mentioned: so far its seems to keep working ok!

If you want to spend thousands on an expensive camera please do so! cameras seemed to have improved a lot recently! touch screen, no batteries some now + metal cases, even remote! what next?

Best advice - get a camera fitted! don't drive without one!

cheers

• Thanks 1

Brand doesn't really matter, as long s they work reliably over an extended period.
Some research (here and google) will reveal the better brands.
HD would be appropriate as the resolution is good enough to read licence plates.

4 would be good, front, rear and both sides.
And a giant sign "DASHCAM PROTECTED" (in Thai of course)
Footnote:

We have 2 in the car and one attached to the side of both our motorcycle helmets, it's amazing how, when we approach a police road block, as soon as they see them, we always get waved through....!

Edited by millymoopoo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Yeah, now 4 days later when I already ordered camera you are all suddenly keen to share your tips. ????

So which did you order? 

I have a Xiaomi mai 70 pro thinking it would be a step up from my old dashcam. It does the job but the picture quality isn't as clear. The best thing about it, which I guess most do now, is being able to wirelessly connect it to your phone to view the footage. 

In retrospect I need a two facing camera as the only accidents I've had here are being rear ended, while sitting still at traffic lights.

I have been using a "Street Guardian" dash cam it has worked perfectly for the last 5+ years here Thailand the later ones (I believe) have rear view camera connected by WIFI worth checking out, Or look at! "Dash Cam Talk", they survey and do reviews and price lists on a lot of these dash cameras!

I bought a HIKVISION DashCam AE-DN2016-F3 for just over 2000 baht (https://www.advice.co.th/product/car-camera/กล้องหน้า/car-camera-wifi-hikvision-ae-dn2016-f3). It's from a company that is big in CCTV stuff, sturdy built, and the cam is attached to the base with a magnet (no, it doesn't come off in potholes), thus you can remove it and store it in a shady place when the car is parked for a long time in the sun. It doesn't come with an LCD monitor, but there's an app for live view, review of stored movies, instant photos/movies etc. - connects via WiFi (as an access point). It also speaks (!) when traffic lights turn green, tells you speed limits when it sees the signs, and tells you to move @ss when then car in front of you starts moving (okay, if you're not into that, you can turn it off). Very crisp picture (important for reading number plates), very good picture at night/in dark areas - totally recommended.

Used a DDPai M6 Plus for 2 years now. Good resolution, magnetic mount so take it out of the car when I get out and so no heat issue (I don't want it for recording when parked). Magnetic mount is fine and no problems with vibration when driving. Very happy. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 6:34 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

What are you using and at what price range?

Transcend Dashcam DrivePro 290, works perfect. 4,500 baht in PowerBuy (2018); you might be able to find it cheaper online from for example Lazada.

Before thai I had a cheaper around 2,000 baht dashcam, Anytek A100, which were not fully reliable; however the camera decided to work fine when I replaced it, that's the kind of small push life sometimes gives one...????

Have a standard battery model in the older car. Have had a few of these and they can get screwed up by the extreme heat. Like others I now detach it if parking in the sun. I seem to recall all of them were priced in the region of 2000 baht. When we bought another car I looked for one with a super capacitor rather than battery and found the Xiaomi Yi Nightscape. Had it a couple of years and no problems at all. Just leave it in the car wherever I park. Has a wifi connection. At the time cheapest on Lazada was 4500 baht and bought on Amazon for 2600 baht plus a little extra postage and import tax. I see its now on Lazada for just under 1800 baht. Good luck whatever you decide.

On 4/6/2020 at 12:15 PM, topt said:

I have had a couple of these models - https://www.viofo.com/

Still using an A119 version. Very unobtrusive.

Most people have plenty of time to spare at the moment so if the OP changes his mind this is a good resource -

https://dashcamtalk.com/ with an extensive forum

I have independent Viofo's front and rear and am happy with them but would upgrade to A129 Duo if I was looking today.

As an interesting postscript; 2 idiots on a chicken-chaser came very close to T boning me as I reversed into my drive and hour ago, despite my 4 way flashers & wife doing semaphore (proper hand signals to be serious) after opening the gate. It takes a special sort of idiot to try to 'beat the gap' of a reversing car but these clowns tried anyway & even managed to hit my wife as she jumped clear!! (she's fine)

I'm about to view the footage...

This software is worth paying for in addition to whatever camera is used.

Edited by evadgib

12 hours ago, Martinpeter said:
20 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Yes you have run the wires through the car, from the camera! 

quite easy to do? i mounted mine inside the back window, rather than outside low down!

trouble is that if mounted inside;

- you get all those massive IR reflections bouncing back directly from the IR led, via the inside surface of the curved rear glass... 

- the effectiveness the IR beam, to reflect off the 'target' outside of the car; is severely diminished, by the anti-sun protection in the glass of the rear window 

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2020 at 12:14 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Careful - my friend didn’t want to spend money on a decent one. Got a cheap one of lazed, it didn’t last long. 

Consider why you want a Dash-Cam... Ultimately, it has to be reliable enough to get you out of trouble (i.e. avoid blame or identify blame at someone else) - so it has to work, trouble free 100% of the time, in all heat conditions (i.e. not damaged if parked in the sun etc, and provides easily acceptable and readily viewable data / recordings. 

I have chosen a cam well out of your price range (BlackVue) which 3 of them so far (on my last 3 cars). 

Xiaomi make a dash-cam and they are becoming a reliable brand, perhaps a Dash-cam worth considering.

BlackVue DR650S-2CH is also my choice. I started with a single channel BlackVue, but the two Channel has already paid for itself in proving my innocence. ????

I also recommend the Viofo A119 V3 (single camera) or A129 (dual cameras, front and rear).  I have the A119 V3 model and find it has very good clarity.  An important feature is that it uses a capacitor rather than a lithium-ion battery, which is very good for use in hot weather climates like Thailand.  On Lazada, you can find the newest model for around 2,600 baht.  Even one of the older models at a lower price is still a good investment.  In addition to the camera, you need to purchase a micro SD card for recording the video.  Don't skimp on this purchase as it is what saves any evidence the camera captures in an accident.  I use a Samsung 64 GB Pro Endurance card which sells for ~900 baht.  These cards need to be checked over time to prove they are still recording properly, since they do wear out. 

we have the HP f870g in our car, works great ahd has a second camera near the rear number plate. Been in the car for 2 years and pic is excellent, had it fitted by the local car improvement place  and they did a brilliant job, all up it was around 8000 baht from memory(may have been a bit cheaper), no hesitation to recomend it