BANGKOK
AndyAndyAndy

Which dashcam do you use in Thailand?

I don't really want to invest time to comparing, searching etc etc. Checking out Lazada, Xiaomi seems to be most popular choice. With prices from 900 to 2000 baht. Are they any good for average user?

What are you using and at what price range?

• Like 1

I had good luck with a Xiaomi Yi dash camera, which is in the price range.  Worked fine, and didn't shut down on overheat in the Thai sun.  They have several other interesting models out now, but I have no personal experience with them.  (I also had great luck with a Xiaomi Yi action camera, so I think the brand is solid)

Ultimately though, I went with a MiVue and a Magellan dash cameras with GPS.  (Identical units except for the brand name)  It was worth the extra money to be able to tie some things I found along the way with the GPS location.  With the software, I could view my trip with a map showing where I was when things flashed by.   I had one facing forward, and another one facing the rear.  I'm not sure they're still available on Lazada at all, or for the reasonable price I paid for them a few years back. (3,000 baht each, +/-)

20 hours of recording on a 128GB micro SD card.  And don't cheap out on the SD card.  It needs to be fast... Category 10 (not Cat4), and the faster the better.  

• Like 2

I have had a couple of these models - https://www.viofo.com/

Still using an A119 version. Very unobtrusive.

Most people have plenty of time to spare at the moment so if the OP changes his mind this is a good resource -

https://dashcamtalk.com/ with an extensive forum

• Like 1

The problem is that you need at least 6 months of constant use in order to be able to recommend a dashcam, by which time it will have been superseded by even better models. 

I bought this one off Lazada same 2018!

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4-hd-1080p-wdr-hdr-2parking-monitor-30-fhd-1080p-4k-hd-1-car-dvr-camera-32g-i824394527-s1688248087.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.2ced3847cKc2gS&search=1

Has  rear camera now, which is better (can double up as reverse camera) + 170 degree angle lens! touch screen now! better - metal case seems improvement + battery seems better now - than previous! ones i've had.

under 1,000 baht still going! can replace cheap enough if problems!

records front + back, my insurance gave me a discount also!

I cant see the point buy expensive, when you can replace then cheaply and easily  nowadays!

2 hours ago, Martinpeter said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4-hd-1080p-wdr-hdr-2parking-monitor-30-fhd-1080p-4k-hd-1-car-dvr-camera-32g-i824394527-s1688248087.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.2ced3847cKc2gS&search=1

Has  rear camera now, which is better (can double up as reverse camera) + 170 degree angle lens! touch screen now! better - metal case seems improvement + battery seems better now - than previous! ones i've had.

I cant see the point buy expensive, when you can replace then cheaply and easily  nowadays!

But the cheapy may not work at the one time you want it too.....😋

• Like 1

Yeah, now 4 days later when I already ordered camera you are all suddenly keen to share your tips. 😒

4 hours ago, Martinpeter said:

You have to run wires to the back cam or is it wireless like some RV cams....

8 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

You have to run wires to the back cam or is it wireless like some RV cams....

Yes you have run the wires through the car, from the camera! 

quite easy to do? i mounted mine inside the back window, rather than outside low down!

Quote: As Transam mentioned: so far its seems to keep working ok!

If you want to spend thousands on an expensive camera please do so! cameras seemed to have improved a lot recently! touch screen, no batteries some now + metal cases, even remote! what next?

Best advice - get a camera fitted! don't drive without one!

cheers

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Brand doesn't really matter, as long s they work reliably over an extended period.
Some research (here and google) will reveal the better brands.
HD would be appropriate as the resolution is good enough to read licence plates.

4 would be good, front, rear and both sides.
And a giant sign "DASHCAM PROTECTED" (in Thai of course)
Footnote:

We have 2 in the car and one attached to the side of both our motorcycle helmets, it's amazing how, when we approach a police road block, as soon as they see them, we always get waved through....!

Edited by millymoopoo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Yeah, now 4 days later when I already ordered camera you are all suddenly keen to share your tips. 😒

So which did you order? 

I have a Xiaomi mai 70 pro thinking it would be a step up from my old dashcam. It does the job but the picture quality isn't as clear. The best thing about it, which I guess most do now, is being able to wirelessly connect it to your phone to view the footage. 

In retrospect I need a two facing camera as the only accidents I've had here are being rear ended, while sitting still at traffic lights.

I have been using a "Street Guardian" dash cam it has worked perfectly for the last 5+ years here Thailand the later ones (I believe) have rear view camera connected by WIFI worth checking out, Or look at! "Dash Cam Talk", they survey and do reviews and price lists on a lot of these dash cameras!