BANGKOK
Jingthing

Are you really ready for two years of this?

7 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Horse racing is on now. Just space people out.

Silly politicians if they dont work out a plan. Nitwits.

Have you ever known a politician that wasn't? Far as I know most of ours have never worked a day in a real job- no idea what it's like to be poor, hungry or homeless.

They should have had a plan since Ebola was first known about, but they obviously didn't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you want to risk your life on it being safe? Most that get Corona will not die of it, but actually injecting a bad vaccine may do that.

Drugs not vaccines. Existing drugs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chessman said:

most economies grew then because they were producing things for the war. American cities that had more steps in place to force distancing were able to recover more quickly

Far as I know the Spanish flue was worst AFTER the war. Spread by troops returning home.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Have you ever known a politician that wasn't? Far as I know most of ours have never worked a day in a real job- no idea what it's like to be poor, hungry or homeless.

They should have had a plan since Ebola was first known about, but they obviously didn't.

True. And they let cruise ships in. Disease ridden cesspits should have been banned on March 1.

2 years is unworkable, no way borders are closed for 2 years. At the very least you would have strict 14 day quarantine on arrival as the new normal, to allow movement. 

That said, if there's countless trillions of dollars at stake, who knows what can be achieved medically. Not specifically in terms of vaccines either, I mean production of effective personal quarantine devices (like cost effective powered respirators that provide practically 100% protection). So you could achieve near 100% quarantine effectiveness, without bringing everything to a standstill.

3 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Drugs not vaccines. Existing drugs.

Treating the symptoms will not stop it. Anyway, can they make enough to cure everyone that will catch it?

12 minutes ago, VBF said:

You do NOT have a choice to avoid Covid.

You could give at least the elderly and sick a choice to live a more normal life, or strictly self isolate, in which case they’d be given every assistance, free delivery of food and essentials.

I’m thinking about the 85 year old who comes to my social tennis each Sunday (pre lockdown in Australia). Ask him - do you want to remain in total self isolation, or continue to play the tennis you love so much, and accept a 20% chance of death should you catch the virus? I’m pretty sure that I know what his answer would be.

• Like 2

Are you really ready for two years of this?

Well Jingthing, can you name a country which is and will be totally free of the virus and the isolation etc., for the next 2 years?

24 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

a vaccine will probably be available before that maybe early next year if we can trust the info. 

I wouldn't bet on that.

The corona strain has been know for long and no one has been able to produce a vaccine until now.

Why would that suddenly change for this specific virus?

• Like 1

Just now, Brunolem said:

I wouldn't bet on that.

The corona strain has been know for long and no one has been able to produce a vaccine until now.

Why would that suddenly change for this specific virus?

A breakthrough perhaps? Re-analysis of research, drugs which ultimately connect?

22 minutes ago, VBF said:

You do NOT have a choice to avoid Covid.

And you do NOT have a choice to avoid cancer.

And faced with a choice, I would readily opt for the virus and leave the cancer to others...

1 minute ago, CygnusX1 said:

You could give at least the elderly and sick a choice to live a more normal life, or strictly self isolate, in which case they’d be given every assistance, free delivery of food and essentials.

I’m thinking about the 85 year old who comes to my social tennis each Sunday (pre lockdown in Australia). Ask him - do you want to remain in total self isolation, or continue to play the tennis you love so much, and accept a 20% chance of death should you catch the virus? I’m pretty sure that I know what his answer would be.

I get that but the trouble is that the 85 year old may or may not have the virus, and if he does he may have no symptoms. He is then a carrier and in a tennis club he would soon become a super carrier.

Just now, Brunolem said:

And you do NOT have a choice to avoid cancer.

And faced with a choice, I would readily opt for the virus and leave the cancer to others...

Something of a red herring don't you think? We were comparing viruses with fast food not other ailments. Plus Cancer is usually not contagious so it's you who suffers - you don't run the risk of infecting many others.

15 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

That said, if there's countless trillions of dollars at stake, who knows what can be achieved medically. 

Problem is that the trillions are on their way to Wall Street...

And anyway money can't buy discoveries, that would be too easy...