Are you really ready for two years of this?

Jingthing

4 hours ago, justaphase said:

All very Orwell isn't it?

It's all worked out nicely for the 1%

Destroy the common peoples lives and keep them inside.

Agenda 21 is here

Sad innit! they are going to replace us with AI ???? 

After all we did for them as well! ????

9 hours ago, gunderhill said:

They  should  just  accept  the death rate and  carry  on,  instead  they'll  lose  more through the economic  crash.

Let me just guess that "you're all right Jack!" Because that's the only way you can be that callous. I thought the "free market" was supposed to reward those who are prudent and punish those that are reckless. Instead it's rewarded the opposite behaviour, using public funds to eliminate private risk and abandoning those who need help the most. A trillion dollars in money as a "reward" to those who bought politicians was used on stock buybacks less than 2 years ago. Now they need another bailout? Maybe those corporations shouldn't have eaten all that avocado toast.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well that is not the choice that countries are making for the most part so maybe you want to move to Turkmenistan. 

Actually not, look at how Sweden is handling this

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gunderhill said:

They  should  just  accept  the death rate and  carry  on,  instead  they'll  lose  more through the economic  crash.

There will come a time when a High Level Risk Assessment will be carried out and a decision will be made along those lines. 
Every day in the UK there are more announcements around spending more billions, building more hospitals, test centres etc At some point in the future we are all having to pay for this. 
There is also the impact of the stay at home initiative. It’s not sustainable for many reasons and in time will break. 
The RIsk Assessment will decide at what point the economy becomes a higher priority than a life, probably a way off yet but once the graph starts to flatten these decisions will be taken. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is however the only real solution;
let nature take its course even if tens of millions of people will die faster than expected.
There are too many people on this earth who can no longer bear it;
would you prefer a big meteorite to crash and kill 1 billion?

What is 10 or 20 million compared to 7 billion?
It's peanuts
and at least the world economies would continue to function normally because the vast majority of those who must die are retired (I am one of them)

We probably are not too far off your "let them die" scenario. The initial shock/horror of this virus will soon wear off if our lifestyles and freedoms are interfered with too much. Then political decisions will have to be made to prevent a 'Mad Max' type of society evolving. Just a thought! nuke the <deleted> out of China. Helps with World overpopulation and most of these new virus's start there. 2 birds with a few bombs so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have looked at a lot of SIR models for this virus over the past few weeks. There are only 3 things that result in a return to normalcy.

1)  A vaccine is developed and effectively administered to everyone.

2) 90+% become infected and become naturally immune.

3) A test is created that can detect the virus in asymptomatic individuals within 24 hours of infection. This additionally requires that these individuals are immediately quarantined.

For #3, the test would need to be cheap and immediate. Something like a cheek swab at a roadblock.  Any one of these conditions will result in the virus being eliminated quickly from the population.

It is important to understand that there is no other realistic scenario where the virus goes away. These lockdown measures by themselves can only ultimately result in #2, we just get there very slowly so that hospitals are not overwhelmed.  Now consider the economic hardship that the lockdowns impart on people, the unbearable stress that results, and the depressed immune response due to that stress. Which one is actually worse? 

Those of you who are retired with guaranteed monthly incomes have absolutely no concept of how bad it is already. People are already growing extremely angry and are not going to accept this for long.  So it definitely won't continue like this for months. It will become dramatically worse. The only way to make this work for a long time is to turn it into a war torn police state. We are talking something much worse than North Korea.

There will be shortages of food because there will be protests and terrorism to try and force the government to lift the bans. That will make everything difficult.  There will be organized resistance. It is not going to be a pleasant retirement area, where you just carry on as you are now.  The more people the government throws in jail for defying the bans, the more anger and resentment will grow among the population.

So be prepared for some serious strife over the coming year.  Everyone had better hope that the technology to fight this virus is developed sooner rather than later.  Because we won't get "this" for 18 months. We'll get something more akin to the communist insurgency of the 70's.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Monomial said:

There will be shortages of food because there will be protests and terrorism to try and force the government to lift the bans. That will make everything difficult.  There will be organized resistance. It is not going to be a pleasant retirement area, where you just carry on as you are now.  The more people the government throws in jail for defying the bans, the more anger and resentment will grow among the population.

Disagree, where I live in Thailand, outside Chiang Mai, the rice will still grow and the chickens will still lay eggs.

I'll be missing out with my trips to Vietnam and Cambodia, but my home life will be much the same.

Maybe a few problems with VISA extensions.

But Bangkok may not be that great a place to be living.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Disagree, where I live in Thailand, outside Chiang Mai, the rice will still grow and the chickens will still lay eggs.

I'll be missing out with my trips to Vietnam and Cambodia, but my home life will be much the same.

Agree.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

True. In any war there are rural areas where the violence doesn't reach. Right up until it does because a roving group trying to escape the military happens to wander through. Your experience will probably be more normal punctuated by periods of severe fighting and destruction, followed by rebuilding. 

I was speaking in more general terms for the majority of people who live in cities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

500,000 flu deaths a year, doesn't sound like much of a vaccine to me. More fatal that Coroana.

Covid-19 has only really been in the general population for 6 weeks. The fatalities numbers are doubling every 3/4 days. Start with todays numbers and do the math's of when we will be over 500K a DAY. 

47 minutes ago, Kadilo said:
10 hours ago, gunderhill said:

There will come a time when a High Level Risk Assessment will be carried out and a decision will be made along those lines. 

The decision has already been made. 

A high death rate is unavoidable, an even higher death rate is avoidable and the decisions have been made word wide that potential fatales are not acceptable, hence the lockdown.

This was not the Case with MERS, SARS, AIDs because the transmission rates were extremely low. 

The Spanish flu had a ‘relatively low’ FCR and a lot more was known about influenza. 

This is something new - but to suggest (gunderhill) that they just accept the death rate is the thinking of a psychopath, especially against the complete unknown of how may may become impacted by an economic crash... Really, how many will die as a result of an economic crash?

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

i'll chime in with some worthless stuff:

1.  I still think I got this thing in January for a few weeks.   high, high fever, out of breath, vomiting.......but I'm not sure since I did seem to fully recover 2-weeks after my symptoms went away.  maybe that's normal.  My point... I think maybe 100 million people already got this thing.  for all we know, China is now immune since they all got it last year.  

2.  we don't know the ILLUMINATI.  This is breaking countries, and some other countries might hold on to a cure until other countries are broken for good.  Oh, I'm crazy?  lol.  maybe.  

3.  hunger is everything.  you get hungry, you fight till the death.  if cities get hungry, this thing is ending or governments will topple.  Probably in South America first...who knows.

4.  I'm guessing around July we will be "gathering."  New restrictions, a new world order, and the BIG question....what to do about China?

This could easily be the beginning of something much greater.  

If you met me in person, I would say there will be medicine in about a month and don't worry because we've all had a really, really easy life.  But on the internet.....oh, it's conspiracy time!!  

I do think Thailand is much safer than my home country.  So I'm happy being here.  

Come on …., ???? I am sure they repaired that bad closing milit.lab door already, and executed that security guard who had duty (if he was not the first casualty from that virus ) ????

Probably the ant-dote was in progress but not ready yet....( So if "they" are first with vaccine they are guilty at charge , proven to be already working on it …) hence the " eating Bat " story  ????

????????????

Edited by david555

I wouldn't worry too much. Look at China. They're limping back to normal after 3 months of draconian measures. Yea, yea, I get they lie but their factories are opening which is visible to the naked eye. And, forget which business paper, I saw their output numbers were surprisingly good given the shutdown, which indicates a fast bounce back, a good portent for other economies.

So, I would say a couple more months, give or take, and most countries will have flattened the curve to the point that they say X infection/death rate is tolerable and go about business as usual.

Sure there will still be hotspots popping up here and there but as long as the general population curve is flat enough, hospitals will be able to cope with localized events.

In any case, I am learning to eat drink and be merry within exactly 67 sq. m.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just hope that no one steals your chickens, and the water supply will still run to the rice fields (who will fix any broken pumps / pipes for example). 

Also, your house may be targeted because you are a farang and some of the villagers think you must have lots of money or valuable things stocked up in your house.

Don't forget all the family and people returning to your village to thier family homes as they are all out of work.  How is everyone there going to have money for food or essentials after a few months of lock down or curfew?   

It might look rosy for you now... but if this gets dragged out for many months, out in the sticks, there is less police presence, neighbours are not as close if you need help or assistance in an emergency, and services such as electricity and water will be on lower priority if things break out there, rather than in a more heavily populated area.  

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 2

Arguably the most worrying aspect of the current situation is the blatant systematic trashing of traditional rights and freedoms to combat a virus of relatively modest lethality and dubious origins.

The way things are shaping up, the "cure" could easily end up more deadly than the disease

https://www.corbettreport.com/mml2020/

1 minute ago, Why Me said:

I wouldn't worry too much. Look at China. They're limping back to normal after 3 months of draconian measures. Yea, yea, I get they lie but their factories are opening which is visible to the naked eye. And, forget which business paper, I saw their output numbers were surprisingly good given the shutdown, which indicates a fast bounce back, a good portent for other economies.

So, I would say a couple more months, give or take, and most countries will have flattened the curve to the point that they say X infection/death rate is tolerable and go about business as usual.

Sure there will still be hotspots popping up here and there but as long as the general population curve is flat enough, hospitals will be able to cope with localized events.

In any case, I am learning to eat drink and be merry within exactly 67 sq. m.

"In any case, I am learning to eat drink and be merry within exactly 67 sq. m."

Always more comfortable then a 1.2 sqm coffin ????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

"In any case, I am learning to eat drink and be merry within exactly 67 sq. m."

Always more comfortable then a 1.2 sqm coffin ????

67 sqm is a coffin as far as I'm concerned. Far too small to be comfortable.