BANGKOK
Jingthing

Are you really ready for two years of this?

15 minutes ago, tonray said:

I see it as a better choice than America right now. I live in a nice house, GF manages a supermarket so she's rarely home to get on my nerves these days, I've got gardening to do, a few mates in the MooBaan, my neighbors are decent and local markets are still open for business.

Sounds ideal, as long as everything remains exactly the same over the next two years as the Thai economy collapses, families start losing grandparents, relationships fracture due to being forced into lockdown together, everyone's career or education remains in limbo, debts spiral out of control, and terrible rumors start to hurtle though Thai social media, announcing that it is all the fault of the dirty farangs.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mattd said:

This is the crux of the issue, it is nothing to do with whether you, me and Joe Bloggs are ready for this long term, it is everything to do with whether the world as a whole can sustain it.

Long term isolation, be it ordinary folks staying at home, no flights etc. is just not sustainable, the economies of the world would collapse and with it would come massive unemployment and social collapse, the devastation would be enormous, far far greater that CV itself.

Imagine trying to sustain what we are seeing for a long period of say two years, or worst still forever, the only shops allowed to open being food and pharmacies, so no clothing stores etc. therefore factories producing goods have to either slow production and layoff staff, commodities would become scarce, so therefore more expensive, meanwhile the populous would have a lot less money and what they do have has to be spent on food.

Governments would lose massive amounts of revenue on income and corporation taxes, VAT revenues, social security payments, import duties, airport taxes etc. whilst dishing out more and more on social related payments and trying to stabilize things, healthcare services would drop, education would become a thing of the past.

Meanwhile the people isolated in their homes cannot afford to repay their mortgages, pay their bills such as electricity, water, council taxes etc. so these get either cut off or severely reduced, the local authorities can no longer afford to collect any rubbish, the list goes on.

The emergency services would have to be reduced due to the lack of public funds.

Anarchy would inevitably take over, suicides rates would rocket way above the deaths caused by the virus.

There will become a point where governments will have to decide between this or an acceptable attrition rate caused by the virus.

This point will come gradually, but will already start by the Ende of April, for all the reasons you gave.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chessman said:

if the models are correct then this will be the worst month. Scientists will also know a lot more about how the virus spreads in a month/6 weeks

In your dreams ..
This kind of response comes from those who are afraid;
in this case pray if you are a believer ...
to be afraid of a tiger in freedom, it is normal but of a virus?
Any virus is effectively fought inside the human body without any medication being useful.
If the body cannot defend itself, so much the worse .. it dies ...
Where is the problem ?

• Like 1

Two years of 3 hours afternoon pool party sessions. Two years of Landrace weed and no steak. My playlist balooning to 3000 songs and my hair in a ponytail. Finally caught upon my photo edits and reading list. Got it. Guess It is what it is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

In your dreams ..
This kind of response comes from those who are afraid;
in this case pray if you are a believer ...
to be afraid of a tiger in freedom, it is normal but of a virus?
Any virus is effectively fought inside the human body without any medication being useful.
If the body cannot defend itself, so much the worse .. it dies ...
Where is the problem ?

This kind of response comes from epidemiologists who have spent years studying this kind of thing. They may be wrong, this is a very difficult one to model, but their predictions will have a lot more worth than yours or mine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes there are so many variables that are impossible to predict and of course multiple waves are not only possible but probably likely, as different parts of the world are on different timetables and it may turn out there is a seasonal factor as well. Plus … it could mutate in either a good or a bad way. The info I currently have is that what mutations that have occurred so far have not resulted in different levels of virulence.

Do you really think Thailand ...and more this Thai Gov. Can afford this for themselves for 2 years ...

I am sure not as they even could not enforce a big group returning Thailand to go in organised 14 day quarantine just now posted on TV.....under the naming rebellion at Suvharnaboumi

• Like 2