BANGKOK
Jingthing

Are you really ready for two years of this?

I was hoping to leave Thailand this year but now things look pretty ruined.

14 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

I was hoping to leave Thailand this year 

You still might... RIP

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, justaphase said:

All very Orwell isn't it?

It's all worked out nicely for the 1%

Destroy the common peoples lives and keep them inside.

Agenda 21 is here

Sad innit! they are going to replace us with AI 😞 

After all we did for them as well! 😲

9 hours ago, gunderhill said:

They  should  just  accept  the death rate and  carry  on,  instead  they'll  lose  more through the economic  crash.

Let me just guess that "you're all right Jack!" Because that's the only way you can be that callous. I thought the "free market" was supposed to reward those who are prudent and punish those that are reckless. Instead it's rewarded the opposite behaviour, using public funds to eliminate private risk and abandoning those who need help the most. A trillion dollars in money as a "reward" to those who bought politicians was used on stock buybacks less than 2 years ago. Now they need another bailout? Maybe those corporations shouldn't have eaten all that avocado toast.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well that is not the choice that countries are making for the most part so maybe you want to move to Turkmenistan. 

Actually not, look at how Sweden is handling this

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, gunderhill said:

They  should  just  accept  the death rate and  carry  on,  instead  they'll  lose  more through the economic  crash.

There will come a time when a High Level Risk Assessment will be carried out and a decision will be made along those lines. 
Every day in the UK there are more announcements around spending more billions, building more hospitals, test centres etc At some point in the future we are all having to pay for this. 
There is also the impact of the stay at home initiative. It’s not sustainable for many reasons and in time will break. 
The RIsk Assessment will decide at what point the economy becomes a higher priority than a life, probably a way off yet but once the graph starts to flatten these decisions will be taken. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is however the only real solution;
let nature take its course even if tens of millions of people will die faster than expected.
There are too many people on this earth who can no longer bear it;
would you prefer a big meteorite to crash and kill 1 billion?

What is 10 or 20 million compared to 7 billion?
It's peanuts
and at least the world economies would continue to function normally because the vast majority of those who must die are retired (I am one of them)

We probably are not too far off your "let them die" scenario. The initial shock/horror of this virus will soon wear off if our lifestyles and freedoms are interfered with too much. Then political decisions will have to be made to prevent a 'Mad Max' type of society evolving. Just a thought! nuke the <deleted> out of China. Helps with World overpopulation and most of these new virus's start there. 2 birds with a few bombs so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have looked at a lot of SIR models for this virus over the past few weeks. There are only 3 things that result in a return to normalcy.

1)  A vaccine is developed and effectively administered to everyone.

2) 90+% become infected and become naturally immune.

3) A test is created that can detect the virus in asymptomatic individuals within 24 hours of infection. This additionally requires that these individuals are immediately quarantined.

For #3, the test would need to be cheap and immediate. Something like a cheek swab at a roadblock.  Any one of these conditions will result in the virus being eliminated quickly from the population.

It is important to understand that there is no other realistic scenario where the virus goes away. These lockdown measures by themselves can only ultimately result in #2, we just get there very slowly so that hospitals are not overwhelmed.  Now consider the economic hardship that the lockdowns impart on people, the unbearable stress that results, and the depressed immune response due to that stress. Which one is actually worse? 

Those of you who are retired with guaranteed monthly incomes have absolutely no concept of how bad it is already. People are already growing extremely angry and are not going to accept this for long.  So it definitely won't continue like this for months. It will become dramatically worse. The only way to make this work for a long time is to turn it into a war torn police state. We are talking something much worse than North Korea.

There will be shortages of food because there will be protests and terrorism to try and force the government to lift the bans. That will make everything difficult.  There will be organized resistance. It is not going to be a pleasant retirement area, where you just carry on as you are now.  The more people the government throws in jail for defying the bans, the more anger and resentment will grow among the population.

So be prepared for some serious strife over the coming year.  Everyone had better hope that the technology to fight this virus is developed sooner rather than later.  Because we won't get "this" for 18 months. We'll get something more akin to the communist insurgency of the 70's.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Monomial said:

There will be shortages of food because there will be protests and terrorism to try and force the government to lift the bans. That will make everything difficult.  There will be organized resistance. It is not going to be a pleasant retirement area, where you just carry on as you are now.  The more people the government throws in jail for defying the bans, the more anger and resentment will grow among the population.

Disagree, where I live in Thailand, outside Chiang Mai, the rice will still grow and the chickens will still lay eggs.

I'll be missing out with my trips to Vietnam and Cambodia, but my home life will be much the same.

Maybe a few problems with VISA extensions.

But Bangkok may not be that great a place to be living.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Disagree, where I live in Thailand, outside Chiang Mai, the rice will still grow and the chickens will still lay eggs.

I'll be missing out with my trips to Vietnam and Cambodia, but my home life will be much the same.

Maybe a few problems with VISA extensions.

But Bangkok may not be that great a place to be living.

Agree.

• Like 1