Are you really ready for two years of this?

Jingthing

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll go further; if many of the ones supporting lockdown were to potentially suffer bankrupcy, loss of home and marital destruction etc I bet they'd be changing their tune. I'd hazard a guess that many are retired and have a secure income, so not much to lose by watching tv for a month or three.

I'm prepared to catch it and die rather than be locked down, and I can't give more than my life, can I?

But that's YOUR CHOICE (there's that word again) What if you are or become a carrier and infect others who do not wish to risk their lives?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When the cops won't enforce the law I call it anarchy. I'm not saying that the gangs are roaming the country looting and stealing ( yet ), but it's really bad when the cops and the government won't enforce the law on certain people while keeping everyone else locked up.

It’s the same on the U.K.  

There aren’t enough Police to cover what they need to do already let alone Police the new measures. We just had a long general election debating how the numbers have been slashed during the past 10 years. 

15 hours ago, gunderhill said:

They  should  just  accept  the death rate and  carry  on,  instead  they'll  lose  more through the economic  crash.

Absolutely right. Should have adopted this policy from day one. We are heading for a suicidally depressed world economy for many years ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i agree with you in general, but right now, there is apparently a fierce debate, among world scientists, on how long the virus can stay and transmit in the air.

We have to be vigilant, even the official narrative can change from one day to another.

Hmmmm. The official line from NZ government is that it's not airborne. Just transmitted by droplets when one coughs or sneezes. At least that is what is said on the official Covid announcement yesterday. Of course that could change tomorrow.

13 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Well I'm with Jingthing on this. It's likely going to be 2 years just to get the first wave of infections worked through globally and that's assuming that places like Russia and N Korea divulge what's really going on in their countries and not forgetting we also have the African continent to think about where reported cases are seemingly very low.

Governments around the world need to wake up to the fact that this is bigger than they are and that non-disclosure of details is a crime against humanity.

I've lived in Thailand for nearly ten years, I'm married to a lovely Thai woman and I accept I have responsibilities towards her and her equally lovely family. Returning to the UK (even if I could), is simply not an option for me. I live fairly comfortably here, but in the UK I'd be borderline broke even if I could find somewhere to rent. So, I'm going to wait it out here and see what happens.

Good luck to you all. Try to stay safe and well.

Regards,

Joe

Very well said.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If it's falling apart after 1 week

If you read the paranoid ramblings of the majority of posts on this forum you might come to the conclusion that it is falling apart...

but is it?

countries like Italy and Spain, have managed to slow the rate of infection. It is no longer doubling every 4 days in those countries.... 

There is a plan. Reduce the spread as much as possible as scientists work to find ways to fight it. They didn’t find a vaccine for SARS but it was stopped because scientists pinpointed exactly how it spread and thus could eliminate that spread. Covid will be a much bigger challenge but if (when) quick and cheap tests become available they will be able to learn exactly how many people are asymptomatic and find ways to reduce the spread. Models predict that the virus will peak in the worst hit countries this month. If that happens, then along with greater scientific knowledge things will start to get back to (kind of) normal this summer. 

am I being too optimistic? Perhaps... if the models are not correct and the number of cases is still increasing in May then this will need to be rethought.

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

It’s the same on the U.K.  

There aren’t enough Police to cover what they need to do already let alone Police the new measures. We just had a long general election debating how the numbers have been slashed during the past 10 years. 

Where I live we never even see a cop normally.  I once had to call the emergency number and it took over half an hour for one to turn up.

41 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’m not arguing against all of the restrictions, just the more unreasonable ones. For instance, I’m strictly forbidden (6 months jail) to go for a drive - get in my car, drive for an hour, and only leave the car when I get home. Can anyone explain the mechanism by which I could transmit the virus while ensconced in my car? Teleportation? Uri Geller style paranormal phenomenon?

More  people on the roads, more potential to put more pressure on emergency services. 
It’s all about consideration for the front line services. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm. The official line from NZ government is that it's not airborne. Just transmitted by droplets when one coughs or sneezes. At least that is what is said on the official Covid announcement yesterday. Of course that could change tomorrow.

Well, official science can be politically and economically driven, or both, so i'm not going to put a lot of faith in that lot.

46 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I am quite sure that "the T*** government" has sufficient funds to see themselves through for many may years.........no matter what happens.

But are they prepared to sacrifice it ….?

1 minute ago, chessman said:

If you read the paranoid ramblings of the majority of posts on this forum you might come to the conclusion that it is falling apart...

but is it?

countries like Italy and Spain, have managed to slow the rate of infection. It is no longer doubling every 4 days in those countries.... 

There is a plan. Reduce the spread as much as possible as scientists work to find ways to fight it. They didn’t find a vaccine for SARS but it was stopped because scientists pinpointed exactly how it spread and thus could eliminate that spread. Covid will be a much bigger challenge but if (when) quick and cheap tests become available they will be able to learn exactly how many people are asymptomatic and find ways to reduce the spread. Models predict that the virus will peak in the worst hit countries this month. If that happens, then along with greater scientific knowledge things will start to get back to (kind of) normal this summer. 

am I being too optimistic? Perhaps... if the models are not correct and the number of cases is still increasing in May then this will need to be rethought.

I wasn't referring to the disease, but to the breakdown of society. We have vigilantes unchecked by the police, an increase in domestic violence, etc.

I listen to talkback radio and people are not happy with the situation. Give it a few more weeks on lockdown and I reckon we are in for worse than Corona.

Even a government minister ignored the lockdown! He got caught by a sharp eyed citizen- PM nowhere to be seen on one of her own ministers flouting the law!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:
15 hours ago, gunderhill said:

They  should  just  accept  the death rate and  carry  on,  instead  they'll  lose  more through the economic  crash.

Absolutely right. Should have adopted this policy from day one. We are heading for a suicidally depressed world economy for many years ahead.

False choice. You can’t ‘carry on’ as the virus infects everyone... the economic crash comes anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anyway, driving is not exercise so no reason to do it if not work related.

Gotta get this in....... Except to do a major shop which avoids going to the shops for several minor ones and exposing more people. ????

1 minute ago, chessman said:

False choice. You can’t ‘carry on’ as the virus infects everyone... the economic crash comes anyway.

The vast majority would get flue like symptoms, be off work a while and then back to work. Many would not have symptoms at all, going by current thinking.

The Spanish flue killed millions and people carried on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grusa said:

No.

So that is why I pointed out that when the normal (supposed ) high season start " itching" …. they probably start relaxing bit by bit ….

1 minute ago, VBF said:

Gotta get this in....... Except to do a major shop which avoids going to the shops for several minor ones and exposing more people. ????

The post I was referring to was about going for a long drive for the sake of driving- NOT about going to the supermarket.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anyway, driving is not exercise so no reason to do it if not work related.

I had my daily walk today and passed a park where there were families sitting at park benches inside, cars parked up galore in the car park so all inside somewhere. 
The worse they gonna get is a £30 fine or more likely told to go home. 
Likelihood is no one gonna trouble them. 

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't referring to the disease, but to the breakdown of society. We have vigilantes unchecked by the police, an increase in domestic violence, etc.

I listen to talkback radio and people are not happy with the situation. Give it a few more weeks on lockdown and I reckon we are in for worse than Corona.

Anecdotal evidence or listening to talkback radio is not really the best way to judge how things are going! People on talkback radio are NEVER happy with any situation. Crime will go down (as it has done in the U.K.) In most places. The breakdown of law and order is still a long way off.

Just now, Kadilo said:

I had my daily walk today and passed a park where there were families sitting at park benches inside, cars parked up galore in the car park so all inside somewhere. 
The worse they gonna get is a £30 fine or more likely told to go home. 
Likelihood is no one gonna trouble them. 

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. As long as they are on different benches they ain't infecting anyone else. People need to get out in the fresh air.

2 minutes ago, chessman said:

Anecdotal evidence or listening to talkback radio is not really the best way to judge how things are going! People on talkback radio are NEVER happy with any situation. Crime will go down (as it has done in the U.K.) In most places. The breakdown of law and order is still a long way off.

Domestic violence IS increasing and that's from the news, not talkback, and vigilantes not being arrested IS a breakdown of law and order. It is here and now, not in the future. Police are warning of an increase in breakins and not nearly enough cops to do much at all to stop it.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. As long as they are on different benches they ain't infecting anyone else. People need to get out in the fresh air.

It’s the same argument about people going to beaches etc. If they are sitting 2 metres apart what’s the prob. 
Once again it’s the fact people are driving there etc  What if everyone decided to go there? Who decides who leaves? 

One of the reasons why our Government has said it’s a no go. Stay at home unless you are exercising , shopping etc but people with kids must be pulling their hair out. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The vast majority would get flue like symptoms, be off work a while and then back to work. Many would not have symptoms at all, going by current thinking.

The Spanish flue killed millions and people carried on.

Work where? People won’t be travelling... Restaurants and bars will have very few customers. Healthcare systems will be collapsing. Lots of people getting much more than just ‘flu symptoms’

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VBF said:

Gotta get this in....... Except to do a major shop which avoids going to the shops for several minor ones and exposing more people

OK, so going for a drive’s OK provided I stop off at a supermarket instead of staying in the car. Which do you think is going to expose people to a greater risk of virus transmission?

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed... but in moderation, with Intelligent measures, without overcrowding - a lot of people are now off work with spare time on their hands. 

Snowdonia national park (UK) had to be closed because everyone decided to head there as soon everyone was off work.

The UK is due a weekend of good weather, everyone is being asked not to go out to the parks and beaches, because if everyone does, there will be increased transmission. 

All the measures work and when people go out in moderation there is no issue. But, the issues start in more populated areas when people start thinking "They are going to the beach, so why can’t we?” and then you have what happened in Bondai Beach.

Edited by richard_smith237

12 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is however the only real solution;
let nature take its course even if tens of millions of people will die faster than expected.
There are too many people on this earth who can no longer bear it;
would you prefer a big meteorite to crash and kill 1 billion?

What is 10 or 20 million compared to 7 billion?
It's peanuts
and at least the world economies would continue to function normally because the vast majority of those who must die are retired (I am one of them)

Why don't you put your hand up to be the first nut to go down the wrong way then? That would be a choker, of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Domestic violence IS increasing

Most crime is about opportunities... the opportunities for most crimes will go down as more people are at home. Domestic violence cases will probably increase sharply because there are more opportunities for that specific crime. That is a terrible thing but you can’t equate that with a breakdown of law and order.

• Like 1