Phuket’s first night of curfew see mass rollout of law enforcement, military

rooster59

Phuket’s first night of curfew see mass rollout of law enforcement, military

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1585933108_1-org.jpg

Officers at a checkpoint at Saphan Hin. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: More than 1,000 officers and military personnel took to the streets of Phuket tonight (Apr 3) to enforce the first night of the national street curfew from 10pm through to 4am.

Before the mass deployment, Region 8 Police Lt Gen Jirawat Thippayachan addressed the troops at an assembly at Phuket City Police Station at 9pm.

The assembly comprised officers from the Phuket Provincial Police, Tourist Police, Phuket Immigration, Marine Police, Highway, military personnel and 150 volunteer administrative officers from the public sector.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-first-night-of-curfew-see-mass-rollout-of-law-enforcement-military-75572.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-04

50 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Is it just me or does putting thousands on the streets to enforce a curfew defeat the purpose of the curfew?

I doubt if you're the only one who can't figure out the obvious. There are plenty of likely candidates on TFV

• Haha 2

Is it possible for a Thai cival servant to do their jobs without a crowd cheering,cameras blazing and thumbs up backslapping ...JUST DO IT....SOS IN LOS

Edited by mok199
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Is it just me or does putting thousands on the streets to enforce a curfew defeat the purpose of the curfew?

They're not all going to be standing in the same place and if you check the photo those cops are observing the social spacing rule.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps for my edification and also for the other "Sad Sacks" on the forum, you could state your version of the obvious?

How does a gathering on the streets of large amounts of troops, public servants and volunteers to control a few late night wanderers prevent, not exacerbate, the spread of the virus?

Ask yourself why the curfew is between 10pm and 4am. People have lost their incomes and some will think of turning to crime to get money. Work it out, it's for YOUR protection!
Anyone skulking about during those hours are possibly up to no good if they haven't got a legitimate reason to be out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Old Croc said:

More often than not when a Thai acts with a purpose they somehow manage to defeat that purpose. It's a unique talent. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

Ask yourself why the curfew is between 10pm and 4am. People have lost their incomes and some will think of turning to crime to get money. Work it out, it's for YOUR protection!
Anyone skulking about during those hours are possibly up to no good if they haven't got a legitimate reason to be out.

You're answering a different question.

I was talking about the actual reason the large amount of troops and police are out on the streets and suggesting their gathering is directly opposed to that which they expect from the public.

The side effect of curtailing the activities of bad guys and bike racers is not actually relevant to the point.

And, you'd be surprised what I can work out without the need to shout!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

If I was intent on 'turning to crime', I would not be skulking along a main road during the curfew hours. I would make myself inconspicuous.

But I am not, so it doesn't really matter.

14 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

They're not all going to be standing in the same place and if you check the photo those cops are observing the social spacing rule.

They are also wearing their personal protective equipment, I think this is a good response and could have been done earlier.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You're answering a different question.

I was talking about the actual reason the large amount of troops and police are out on the streets and suggesting their gathering is directly opposed to that which they expect from the public.

The side effect of curtailing the activities of bad guys and bike racers is not actually relevant to the point.

And, you'd be surprised what I can work out without the need to shout!

I'll say it again. They are not 'gathering'! They will be at different points all over the island and if you check the photograph it shows that they are observing the social spacing rule.

What's your opinion as to why they are out on the streets enforcing the curfew? I didn't shout this time, I just used inverted commas and an exclamation mark for emphasis.

Is that ok?

16 hours ago, beechbum said:

Will totally stuff up a lot of the DH's racing their little bikes late at night and that's a good thing.

not so sure.   if they are not racing then the thinning out process will stop.  

On 4/4/2020 at 7:01 PM, thecyclist said:

More often than not when a Thai acts with a purpose they somehow manage to defeat that purpose. It's a unique talent. 

Thanks for once more proving foreigners living here have a total 

disrespect for Thai people. 

20 minutes ago, PatchinExPat said:

Thanks for once more proving foreigners living here have a total 

disrespect for Thai people. 

Saying the truth is not disrespect. At the moment Makro and other stores are packed of people. In other countries curfews are paired with limited access to supermarkets. Just go to Makro right now, if the virus was around, this would be worse that a sold out party at Illusion.

• Confused 1