How Vietnam is managing the Corona virus.

stephenterry

In Vietnam, where I am stuck right now, all Immigration offices have been closed April 1 to 15.

The article mentions that Vietnamese and foreigners are treated the same. It fails to mention the racial discrimination often bordering on harassment that is taking place, whichby now is totally unjustified, as Vietnam closed its borders over 2 weeks ago, and all foreigners that are still around are equal to locals in terms of risk of infection. 

Closing everything except for Supermarkets and some takeaway only restaurants has led to shoppers packed like sardines in these places, making social distancing impossible. 

So a lot of things have been done wrong here in Vietnam too. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

In Vietnam, where I am stuck right now, all Immigration offices have been closed April 1 to 15.

The article mentions that Vietnamese and foreigners are treated the same. It fails to mention the racial discrimination often bordering on harassment that is taking place, whichby now is totally unjustified, as Vietnam closed its borders over 2 weeks ago, and all foreigners that are still around are equal to locals in terms of risk of infection. 

Closing everything except for Supermarkets and some takeaway only restaurants has led to shoppers packed like sardines in these places, making social distancing impossible. 

Yep I've seen/read about tons of discriminatory actions such as many hotels and businesses refusing to serve foreigners right now. That includes expats who haven't left the country in years.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

I left when I was advised by our government. Perhaps you should have to. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Perhaps, I should have, but don't see the advantage of leaving a country (where I have resided for over 2 years) that has around 200 infections with a daily increase of 5 to 10,and zero infections in my province and adjacent provinces to move to one that is fast approaching the 6 digit numbers with infections all over the country. In addition, Vietnam is cheap, being in mere survival mode for a couple of month without making a single penny is possible. In Farangland it would cost me a fortune. 

On the other hand, if this is going to last not for months but a year or years, I will definitely regret my decision to stay put. Life is a gamble. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drbeach said:

Vietnam uses agents to process visa extensions. It does take them 7-10 days to process your paperwork but who cares when you don't have to front up to immigration yourself.

I never had to use and agent in Vietnam. I went to immigration and they took care of everything while I waited. However, that was back in the early 2000's so maybe they changed things. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thecyclist said:

"The article mentions that Vietnamese and foreigners are treated the same. It fails to mention the racial discrimination often bordering on harassment that is taking place, whichby now is totally unjustified, as Vietnam closed its borders over 2 weeks ago, and all foreigners that are still around are equal to locals in terms of risk of infection."

I'm in Vietnam and not Vietnamese.

I'm not aware of any racial discrimination nor harassment.

I'm in a large city.

All restaurants here are closed for 2 weeks including takeaway.

Yet I've seen no crowds at markets and nothing remotely close to people packed like sardines.

6 cases have been found here.

4 have been cured and 2 still being treated.

The OP nails it as far as my experience.

Your post seems to be about a different Vietnam.

Actually, your other long post seems to be written by a different person as you defend Vietnam and state many of the positives of their record.

Here's another example of them doing things very well:

https://vietnaminsider.vn/no-penalty-for-overstay-vietnam-visa-during-national-social-distancing/

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Perhaps, I should have, but don't see the advantage of leaving a country (where I have resided for over 2 years) that has around 200 infections with a daily increase of 5 to 10,and zero infections in my province and adjacent provinces to move to one that is fast approaching the 6 digit numbers with infections all over the country. In addition, Vietnam is cheap, being in mere survival mode for a couple of month without making a single penny is possible. In Farangland it would cost me a fortune. 

On the other hand, if this is going to last not for months but a year or years, I will definitely regret my decision to stay put. Life is a gamble. 

Fair enough 

I understand 

3 hours ago, ericthai said:

I never had to use and agent in Vietnam. I went to immigration and they took care of everything while I waited. However, that was back in the early 2000's so maybe they changed things. 

7 hours ago, drbeach said:

Vietnam uses agents to process visa extensions. It does take them 7-10 days to process your paperwork but who cares when you don't have to front up to immigration yourself.

One can extend with or without an agent, the same as Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I am back in farang land for a few years now I have no assets I pay rent

every fortnight, car registration, electricity,internet,petrol,food,and many

other things and I just live on the old age pension,pay nothing for medical,

hospital why move back to a third world country where it cost me a fortune

on insurance,visa renewals and take the risk to get kicked out at any time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"The article mentions that Vietnamese and foreigners are treated the same. It fails to mention the racial discrimination often bordering on harassment that is taking place, whichby now is totally unjustified, as Vietnam closed its borders over 2 weeks ago, and all foreigners that are still around are equal to locals in terms of risk of infection."

I'm in Vietnam and not Vietnamese.

I'm not aware of any racial discrimination nor harassment.

I'm in a large city.

All restaurants here are closed for 2 weeks including takeaway.

Yet I've seen no crowds at markets and nothing remotely close to people packed like sardines.

6 cases have been found here.

4 have been cured and 2 still being treated.

The OP nails it as far as my experience.

Your post seems to be about a different Vietnam.

Actually, your other long post seems to be written by a different person as you defend Vietnam and state many of the positives of their record.

Here's another example of them doing things very well:

https://vietnaminsider.vn/no-penalty-for-overstay-vietnam-visa-during-national-social-distancing/

There most certainly are different Vietnams. It's a large country with places that are, in normal times of course, teeming with foreigners (like Hoi An or Nha Trang for example, and places where they hardly ever see a farang. From what I read on different forums, there is not that much racial discrimination in touristy regions of the country, most likely because they are more used to foreigners and because there income largely depends on foreigners. In most of the Mekong Delta region foreign tourism is Insignificant (exeption are the tourist island Phu Quoc, Ben Tre, My Tho and a few other places). There most definitely has been significant racial discrimination (some even ordered and sanctioned by provincial governments against the directive of the Vietnamese prime Minister not to discriminate against foreigners) in the southernmost regions of Vietnam. Can't speak for other regions, because I haven't been there since the beginning of the epidemic. 

A mixed bag also with the 'packed like sardines' part of my post : the local co-op supermarket was packed the other day to the extend that you had to squeeze through in some aisles to get the desired items(although the appearance of a farang even though 'masked and hand-sanitized' empties the aisle somewhat, as some Vietnamese will hightail to another aisle) Long lines at the checkout with no social distancing. Today, at Vincom supermarket, deserted. No idea why. 

• Like 2

From what I've witnessed while traveling, some foreigners deserve to be discriminated against.  They make it bad for all of us.

I don't understand why racists travel, but they do, plus there are those that expect other countries and people to be exactly like what they are accustomed to at home, and they love to complain about it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

It's your choice WC, no one has tried to persuade you to return to thailand, vietnam or another country, but like me, others already here in Asia are not in a position to move back to the UK for family reasons. Works both ways. 

6 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

They,'ll be  a hell of a lot more ex pats joining you soon.

13 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Life is a gamble.

I agree. (And although, I'm in Thailand, I would not have gone to the old Country had I even been advise to by the Government there. Ron's just swinging his big 'deck'.

I bought a house in order to live here. I own nothing back there. I'm staying.

6 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

From what I've witnessed while traveling, some foreigners deserve to be discriminated against.  They make it bad for all of us.

I don't understand why racists travel, but they do, plus there are those that expect other countries and people to be exactly like what they are accustomed to at home, and they love to complain about it.

Well said @Iron Tongue

On 4/3/2020 at 4:23 PM, stephenterry said:

Vietnam government understand China better than most, and were among the first to sense danger having had experience with Sars. They were quick to identify that the source was Wuhan. Contrary to what some would guess they were always welcoming Chinese tourists. These tourists were monitored closely for sickness. Isolated and treated in special facilities.

i'm not sure about the part where you say 'always welcoming chinese tourists'.  i traveled to vietnam in mid february and had been following the news there before my trip.  they banned flights to/from china on feb 1.  which of course supports your statement they were quick to sense the danger and took steps.  in thailand, many chinese tourist were welcomed all through february.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-vietnam-flights/vietnam-bans-all-flights-to-and-from-china-over-coronavirus-idUSKBN1ZW03X

16 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Your smart others are dumb ......Hooray for me.....

Edited by fforest1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, buick said:

i'm not sure about the part where you say 'always welcoming chinese tourists'.  i traveled to vietnam in mid february and had been following the news there before my trip.  they banned flights to/from china on feb 1.  which of course supports your statement they were quick to sense the danger and took steps.  in thailand, many chinese tourist were welcomed all through february.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-vietnam-flights/vietnam-bans-all-flights-to-and-from-china-over-coronavirus-idUSKBN1ZW03X

Which does leave a welcoming gap between 31st December - the first known case of Coronavirus infection  - and the whole of January. But yes, they were quick off the blocks to prevent it spreading uncontrollably.

Regretfully, Thailand society is not programmed or prepared to act similarly.  

18 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Why don’t you use “grab” and then you don’t have to worry about crowds at restaurants.

10 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

What country?

14 hours ago, jacob29 said:

You won't be stuck there for years. I wish I was in Vietnam, as it's one of the countries with the biggest chance of getting back to (somewhat) normal in any reasonable time frame. Simply won't happen in Thailand, Indonesia or Philippines, and probably not your home country either.

Not if Vietnam relies heavily on tourism from affected countries. Normality may return in 2-3 years, after a vaccine has been developed and dispersed among the populations around the world.