Will Westerners be Targeted For Theft?

Brewster67

Easy targets will be first so ensure your security is better than your neighbours. Then resentment and anger will set in and foreigners will be tthe targets to vent agression and anger with theft of your belongings only as a by product.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A popular myth is all farang are wealthy beyond the average Thai's dreams.  Bad that, people star making up stories of stashes of gold, etc.

The famous book In Cold Blood is about that, two drifters in the U.S. hear about some farmer who has a load of money in his house, and things go badly -- and there is no $$$ either.

• Like 2

A few desperate people around I guess. The guys and gals made redundant by this aren't particularly admired for their moral uprightness. I rely on the dogs and the neighbours, and my SO, who's feared, violence being her thing, though she's softened a bit in her old age. 

My plan is to monitor this, and if i suspect crime is going to go through the roof, then I am going to feel far from safe and I have a very young child in here, and am already considering he stays with his grandparents where he will be safe, even the wife too for that matter and i stay here and protect the house with my songkran water gun and very loud whistle.... Only joking.

But seriously if my built-in defence mode kicks in, then there are a load of cheap hotel rooms in nice areas where we can bug out to for the duration.... If push comes to shove.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I agree with the original poster, the prospect of a 24-hour lockdown seems insane and will prove disastrous if it happens. Theft will definitely rise. The one thing I've noticed though, living in Bangkok, is that many of the laid-off workers seem to have just gone home - it seems very much like SongKran where there's just this mass-exodus.

Obviously right now most companies/factories are still open, but if there is a full 24-hour lockdown and everything closes, I think people will just leave. So I don't think it will be too bad in the city, but in the countryside, maybe, I don't know. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

I have been here 10 years and never had a problem being targeted apart from the occasional overcharging.

I wouldn't say there is no difference though because the times are VERY different, especially if money is starting to run out in a country where there is scant government assistance... people will have families to feed and as a father, I totally understand that people will stop at nothing to feed their kids... No matter what.

then you so far have been lucky. I've been 'done' albeit by stealth. it happens, despite being aware and cautious. 'They' may have mouths to feed, as I did at that time. they need to rob, so that's ok with you, until you're the victim...

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe living in a high rise condo with security, double card entry, is a now a good choice.

ours broke yesterday, its open for all. maintenance have disappeared back to nackon nowhere. condo jurists can't be found either. happy days.

• Haha 2

If you have to sell your stuff to help feed hungry people around you I think is a fine gesture if you don't sell your stuff to help feed starving people then it will be done for you it's called sharing if you are not willing to share your stuff then you must be thinking your stuff is more valuable than the well being of other people.It's a non issue really. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I suppose there will be a rise in shoplifting, which in the past does

not seem to be a big problem here,while in the UK it seems to be 

thieves favourite pastime.

There will be some much more desperate villains, who need cash

for drugs,gambling,their modus operandi seems to be snatching

gold,handbags,and burglaries,a few more daring desperate ones

will hit 7-11, and banks.

Regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, you have left out the fact that the Government has introduce welfare measures and Thais who have lost their jobs (and dont have SS) are getting money, Thais with a mortgage have put then on hold etc. My wife's cash job has come to an end, she has put the mortgage on hold and applied for the 5,000 baht a month Gov payment, she is maybe 2,000 baht a month worse off than when she was working. Millions of cash economy Thais have done the same thing. The other half of the population will get Social security if their job comes to an end.

Sorry to put a dampener on your "we will all be killed in our beds" scenario but most Thais will have a welfare or social security income and wont be out raping and pillaging just yet.

But the 5K a month only lasts for 3 months, then what happens.

regards Worgeordie

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Also it is NOT going to all the 19 million applicants. My wife applied for it and says the lucky ones will be chosen to get it, the rest will not get it. Also the mortgage on hold element only applies to the principle and not the interest.

I don't think there is a 3 month wait before we see truly desperate times, I think there are enough people already with no incomes to start showing a difference in behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

I presume another stimulus package to support those without social security. The government has so far taken measures to ensure some money in pockets, there is no reason to think that will not continue. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You believe Thailand has more guns per capita then the USA. Really, what's your source of data on that? But be careful your kids don'e play with your guns.

I suggest you buy at least 10 more guns and get a bigger water supply for your songkran water guns, and get a supply of medication to slow you down.

There are actions in process right now for several million Thais folks to get a 15,000Baht support payment and the government has mentioned it might be continued.

The reality is that Thailand is nowhere near the scenarios you elude to. There's plenty of ghettos in the US and other countries where (at any time) it's dangerous to travel into or walk around the streets day time or night time, and there's high probability of theft of your property, your car, belongings and there's high probability of being mugged or murdered and high probability of being shot down by the cops,

And perhaps you need a new hobby, like knitting.

About one in ten people in Thailand legally own a gun. There are more than six million registered guns in a country with a population of 66.7 million.[1] Small Arms Survey estimates that the total number of guns, both licit and illicit, held by Thai civilians in 2017 is 10,300,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_in_Thailand

Also your 15000 baht cash giveaway is seriously limited, go do your research before jumping in.

Edited by Brewster67

16 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If you have to sell your stuff to help feed hungry people around you I think is a fine gesture if you don't sell your stuff to help feed starving people then it will be done for you it's called sharing if you are not willing to share your stuff then you must be thinking your stuff is more valuable than the well being of other people.It's a non issue really. 

yeah... i am sure you have already practiced what you preach... What a load of rubbish.