BANGKOK
Brewster67

Will Westerners be Targeted For Theft?

Easy targets will be first so ensure your security is better than your neighbours. Then resentment and anger will set in and foreigners will be tthe targets to vent agression and anger with theft of your belongings only as a by product.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A popular myth is all farang are wealthy beyond the average Thai's dreams.  Bad that, people star making up stories of stashes of gold, etc.

The famous book In Cold Blood is about that, two drifters in the U.S. hear about some farmer who has a load of money in his house, and things go badly -- and there is no $$$ either.

• Like 2

Normal in low season where I live farang houses getting robbed some years ago we had a spate of muggings and people getting knocked off their bikes

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

A few desperate people around I guess. The guys and gals made redundant by this aren't particularly admired for their moral uprightness. I rely on the dogs and the neighbours, and my SO, who's feared, violence being her thing, though she's softened a bit in her old age. 

My plan is to monitor this, and if i suspect crime is going to go through the roof, then I am going to feel far from safe and I have a very young child in here, and am already considering he stays with his grandparents where he will be safe, even the wife too for that matter and i stay here and protect the house with my songkran water gun and very loud whistle.... Only joking.

But seriously if my built-in defence mode kicks in, then there are a load of cheap hotel rooms in nice areas where we can bug out to for the duration.... If push comes to shove.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I agree with the original poster, the prospect of a 24-hour lockdown seems insane and will prove disastrous if it happens. Theft will definitely rise. The one thing I've noticed though, living in Bangkok, is that many of the laid-off workers seem to have just gone home - it seems very much like SongKran where there's just this mass-exodus.

Obviously right now most companies/factories are still open, but if there is a full 24-hour lockdown and everything closes, I think people will just leave. So I don't think it will be too bad in the city, but in the countryside, maybe, I don't know. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

I have been here 10 years and never had a problem being targeted apart from the occasional overcharging.

I wouldn't say there is no difference though because the times are VERY different, especially if money is starting to run out in a country where there is scant government assistance... people will have families to feed and as a father, I totally understand that people will stop at nothing to feed their kids... No matter what.

then you so far have been lucky. I've been 'done' albeit by stealth. it happens, despite being aware and cautious. 'They' may have mouths to feed, as I did at that time. they need to rob, so that's ok with you, until you're the victim...

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe living in a high rise condo with security, double card entry, is a now a good choice.

ours broke yesterday, its open for all. maintenance have disappeared back to nackon nowhere. condo jurists can't be found either. happy days.

• Haha 2