Will Westerners be Targeted For Theft?

Brewster67

Some of our neighbors, Thai, have had thefts. We have had none.

Did I mention we have a dog? She's sweet as all get out, but can really put on an act for strangers.

Yes; someone could easily take her out. But, most thieves are going to take the path of least resistance. 

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

What has not been mentioned here yet is the plight of non-Thais. IE Burmese.

They won't get any handouts.

Whilst I live on a moo Baan with security many people here do not, and half a mile down the road is a camp made of corogated iron that houses Burmese housebuilders and their families that are already living in squalor.

These people have no work and no money, the combination could be lethal.

Much more so than the worry of Thais robbing us, I worry and feel sorry for them, but where are they going to get the money to feed themselves from? You think Land and Houses will? No.

They won't have much choice but to steal IMO

Very true and with an estimated 3 million + wandering around, the mind does start to boggle.

Around my way, Thais are wealthier than any Westerners, I doubt there is going to be a surge on attacks on "farang" teachers for their 32K. 

However, the wife told me last week, there has been a couple of burglaries on some bigger houses in the city. Even tho' she's not the most observant, she suggested that even after a couple of weeks - that people don't have any money, or maybe the criminals are planning ahead, get in quick before anyone else does?

The situation is only going to get worse.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

What has not been mentioned here yet is the plight of non-Thais. IE Burmese.

They won't get any handouts.

Whilst I live on a moo Baan with security many people here do not, and half a mile down the road is a camp made of corogated iron that houses Burmese housebuilders and their families that are already living in squalor.

These people have no work and no money, the combination could be lethal.

Much more so than the worry of Thais robbing us, I worry and feel sorry for them, but where are they going to get the money to feed themselves from? You think Land and Houses will? No.

They won't have much choice but to steal IMO

They will simply go home, they are here working and will return home if the project comes to a halt, the same as they go home when the condo block is finished. As you point out, they live in temporary accommodation because the work is temporary or project based. There have already been some mass exoduses. 

To a certain extent they eat, sleep, live and work in a closed loop, not coming into contact with the broader population and exposure to covid. So long as the supplies keep being delivered, they can keep working. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

They will simply go home, they are here working and will return home if the project comes to a halt, the same as they go home when the condo block is finished. As you point out, they live in temporary accommodation because the work is temporary or project based. There have already been some mass exoduses. 

To a certain extent they eat, sleep, live and work in a closed loop, not coming into contact with the broader population and exposure to covid. So long as the supplies keep being delivered, they can keep working. 

For a hell of a lot of those people, Thailand IS their home and have been here long term... many are entire families and have nothing to return to in their home countries. Your reply probably accounts for a bit less than half.

• Like 1

If they try to rob you, just pretend you dont understand Thai and the robber will lose too much face trying to speak english so he will move on to the next target.

Happened to me regularly at roadblocks. When they see my white face and hear my "sawadeekrab" with heavy accent they waive me through.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

For a hell of a lot of those people, Thailand IS their home and have been here long term... many are entire families and have nothing to return to in their home countries. Your reply probably accounts for a bit less than half.

All the more reason Thailand should be offering them a pathway to permanent residence in the same way other, more compassionate countries do.

• Like 1

Thailand has more guns per capita than the USA?

Where did you get that from. Not even close.

Also, Thai authorities could make guns illegal overnight, since there's no clause in the Thai constitution like America's second amendment. They already banned them in a secret ruling back in 2017 for foreigners, no reason they can't extend the ban to ordinary Thai citizens too and I suspect they will, eventually.

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

If they try to rob you, just pretend you dont understand Thai and the robber will lose too much face trying to speak english so he will move on to the next target.

Happened to me regularly at roadblocks. When they see my white face and hear my "sawadeekrab" with heavy accent they waive me through.

A lot of people say that but I prefer speaking Thai and outwitting them at their own game.

I usually talk my way out of trouble at checkpoints and am let go because the police may find me too annoying or entitled. LOL.

Anyway, about the robbery part, I would probably try something similar.

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, Thailand is not near this scenario

Not yet. However, Thais dependence on government has been increasing in recent years to the point that most urban dwellers are completely reliant on supermarket produce and have no ability/space to grow their own food.

The ones who will survive are those living on farms and/or have some space to grow their own food and are well stocked for a while.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Don't agree, many Thai families (2 adults & 2 kids) normally survive on not much more than 5,000Baht a month. I've lived and worked here for over 30 years, I think I do have some insights into this.

What? You're joking. The only ones that can survive on nothing, are those that live on nothing except...if they have their own garden/farm where they're growing their own food and don't need to use much cash.

Aside from slum dwellers, I can't see how an urban nuclear family like you say can survive on much less than 10,000 a month.

7 hours ago, chessman said:

Crime will go down. Most crime is opportunistic and people will have less opportunities. Crime already down a lot in the U.K. and I suspect this trend will be mirrored worldwide.

of course, if law and order completely collapse then anything could happen but that’s a loooong way off.

What? It will go up! People will be robbing convenience stores, as has already started happening. There is no shortage of "opportunity".

As for law and order collapsing, it's too difficult to predict but saying it's a "loong" way off is presumptuous on your part. We simply don't know. I say, as long as the current restrictions don't last for more than 1-2 more months, Thais will be able to weather this storm. If it lasts any longer, it's anyone's guess.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

You believe Thailand has more guns per capita then the USA. Really, what's your source of data on that? But be careful your kids don'e play with your guns.

I suggest you buy at least 10 more guns and get a bigger water supply for your songkran water guns, and get a supply of medication to slow you down.

There are actions in process right now for several million Thais folks to get a 15,000Baht support payment and the government has mentioned it might be continued.

The reality is that Thailand is nowhere near the scenarios you elude to. There's plenty of ghettos in the US and other countries where (at any time) it's dangerous to travel into or walk around the streets day time or night time, and there's high probability of theft of your property, your car, belongings and there's high probability of being mugged or murdered and high probability of being shot down by the cops,

And perhaps you need a new hobby, like knitting.

I agree with your thoughts.

I have to say the OP, while he may make a few good points is being a bit too alarmist. I agree with him that there may be an increase in various types of crime, including against foreigners, but that it's too presumptuous to suggest foreign residents will be held up at gunpoint or knife point any more than Thais will be. Sure, there is a greater chance than usual, but there is a higher likelihood of looting and bank robberies than someone on the street being mugged. Also, I never walk the streets...I drive to where I need to go and park there. And most Thais do the same. Even during normal times.

Obviously you are correct that there are far more firearms in the USA than Thailand, both in terms of absolute numbers (obviously) and per capita.

Sounds like your a interesting target.

Im in lock down in the middle of nowhere. Got a hell of a lot of dogs, cctv and things that go bang which neighbours are well aware of. No one would come close or i will take em out and say my wife did it????... hell, ill even empty their pockets and go take their stuff. Seems fair. Tough for all????

Edited by unamazedloso
spelling
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, banglay said:

Thieves are usually cowards  and always pick on the weakest first.. (who ever that now be ,,easy pickings)...So don't act like a victim and always be aware of your surroundings...If you walk around like a victims odds are you will become one .... walk tall walk safe  ???? 

and carry a big stick

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Thailand has more guns per capita than the USA?

Where did you get that from. Not even close.

Also, Thai authorities could make guns illegal overnight, since there's no clause in the Thai constitution like America's second amendment. They already banned them in a secret ruling back in 2017 for foreigners, no reason they can't extend the ban to ordinary Thai citizens too and I suspect they will, eventually.

So then only the bad guys will have guns

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

No tengo deniro......that will get em

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

A popular myth is all farang are wealthy beyond the average Thai's dreams.  Bad that, people star making up stories of stashes of gold, etc.

The famous book In Cold Blood is about that, two drifters in the U.S. hear about some farmer who has a load of money in his house, and things go badly -- and there is no $$$ either.

FYI: A retiree with 65k/month have more money/month than about 88% of the Thai population. Some have much more and even money in the bank. A few have less money, of course.