A message for British Nationals in #Thailand from British Ambassador Brian Davidson - 3 April

A message for British Nationals in #Thailand from British Ambassador Brian Davidson on the ongoing #coronavirus situation, 3 April 2020.

️If you wish to leave Thailand you should make a plan to leave immediately. There are seats available on flights to the UK next week. We advise you to book directly with the airlines. Follow our page for daily updates.

️If you decide to remain in Thailand you should have a viable plan, and make sure you have enough funds, somewhere to stay and access to healthcare.

✉️[email protected]
If you need to return to the UK but can’t. Please include:
Full name
Date of birth
Passport number
Contact email and telephone number
Location and nearest airport
Date of entry into Thailand
Specific needs e.g. if you are taking medication or have young children.

✉️[email protected]
If you need a letter to support your visa extension application. Please send us copies of
1️⃣ the biodata page of your passport
2️⃣ your entry stamp
3️⃣ your current visa stamp/sticker with expiry date.

Check for updates on FCO Travel Advice for Thailand page https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/

#StayHomeSaveLives

• Like 2

This advice was issued around the same time and with broadly the same message as one from the Australian PM. If you don't have the funds to stay here or a place to stay, any idea of riding out the virus in Thailand isn't viable.

2 minutes ago, GordyS said:

So you think it's ok for Thai immigration to be treating foreigners as they are?

Yet western countries and most other Asian countries are giving blanket amnesties 

Whilst Australia is kicking out those with valid visa,s.  Many thousands !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

This advice was issued around the same time and with broadly the same message as one from the Australian PM. If you don't have the funds to stay here or a place to stay, any idea of riding out the virus in Thailand isn't viable.

There are some people who have had 3 flights cancelled and not had the money refunded.

People's funds only stretch so far

4 minutes ago, GordyS said:

There are some people who have had 3 flights cancelled and not had the money refunded.

People's funds only stretch so far

And thousands more have purchased reasonably priced tickets and are now happy and safe at home doing their 14-day quarantine.

• Like 1

If you are a UK Cit and are or could be in trouble, IMO do 2 things:

1. Ignore the trolls in their mum's basement in Blackpool, and

2. Register your name and details  - many countries are organising evac flights from places where there are many stranded - and the more people that register, the more likely a flight will be organised and it will not be cancelled. But you will need to quickly get to Bangkok if it happens - if they organise a flight then contact UK Embassy and ask how you can travel there. If you get there and the flight is cancelled (by Thai Govt) or you miss it, then go to the UK Embassy. 

Note to Self:  When in the future you are living full/most time in Thailand, have a clear plan for getting out very quickly.  Both for just in case you do something likely to result in jail/extortion (eg. run over village head's pigs), or for when another pandemic is declared. 

There was a good movie recently that says it all about being in Thailand when something is seriously wrong:  'Get Out'.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

PM has said those that cannot afford to pay for themselves should leave - the rest are OK to stay.

Thanks, there is apparently some 1/2 million (students ,many from China, and ag workers) on visas there now. Most students have already paid their fees. 

15 minutes ago, blackcab said:

At the minute you will be waiting indefinitely. I suggest you contact the Embassy to get an emergency travel document.

Cheers, I'm in contact with them at the moment, trying to get something sorted

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

And thousands more have purchased reasonably priced tickets and are now happy and safe at home doing their 14-day quarantine.

Indeed, and Eva are still offering flights one way flights to LHR on three days next week for a 22,665 Baht in Economy and 32,000 Baht in premium economy

A post that contravenes Forum Rule 5 has been removed:

You will not use Thaivisa as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues.

A reply quoting that post has also been removed.

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Once the credit card is maxed out your stranded and potless.

I had a heart attack whilst on a long weekend in Singapore a few years ago, the need to pay hospital bill and the cost of accomodation maxed out my card, making it impossible to buy another flight back home for my partner and I.

A quick call to my Thai credit card provider and they instantly increased my limit to ensure I could survive in Singapore and we could fly home when the doctors gave me the ok, I suspect most providers would do the same.

• Like 1

It's all very well to keep telling people to book commercial flights, but when the flights keep getting cancelled there is only so much you can do.

There seem to be announcements of no more incoming flights to Thailand which I suppose would mean no outgoing , so it doesn't seem feasible to book a commercial flight anymore.

Perhaps it would help to give some information regarding flights already booked and whether these will be happening after incoming flights have been stopped.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Indeed, and Eva are still offering flights one way flights to LHR on three days next week for a 22,665 Baht in Economy and 32,000 Baht in premium economy

People booked on those Eva flights are wondering if they are still happening considering incoming flights seem to have been stopped. Seeing as these flights are maybe some of the last it is leaving a lot of people on tenterhooks. Is there any reliable source available for people to check their status.

Sorry, any idiot here on vacation that did not book an immediate return flight on March 11 (global pandemic announced), should have to "reap what they sowed"    IMO of course.

Peace

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, cmsally said:

People booked on those Eva flights are wondering if they are still happening considering incoming flights seem to have been stopped. Seeing as these flights are maybe some of the last it is leaving a lot of people on tenterhooks. Is there any reliable source available for people to check their status.

https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/2019-nCoV.html

https://www.evaair.com/en-us/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/2020-01-24-wuhan-coronavirus.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Thanks, there is apparently some 1/2 million (students ,many from China, and ag workers) on visas there now. Most students have already paid their fees. 

I can't see anything about people having their visas cancelled and being kicked out of Australia.

The PM there is strongly suggesting that those on temp stays who are unable to financially support themselves should make their way home. With mass shutdowns, jobs normally taken by students and back packers are no longer available, and many of them will have to rely on the largess of Australians to stay on. There is also some anger towards them in the community as many of these people were blamed for massing on the beaches in contravention of social distancing rules resulting in their closure.

I am a long way from being a fan of the current PM, but consider his advice quite reasonable in this instance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GordyS said:

Make Thais queue up for 12 hours in the rain outside the embassy in the UK then refuse their extension on a minor technicality 

Nice bloke you must be. Make people not responsible for your misery suffer out of vindictiveness.

By the way, which ‘embassy’ should they queue up at, or do you mean the home office? 

• Thanks 1