A message for British Nationals in #Thailand from British Ambassador Brian Davidson - 3 April

1 hour ago, GordyS said:

Fair play, I have just used that email address in the OP and the reply was inside 30 minutes.

Good clear information and expedient replies to my queries

Great news. I hope getting the emergency travel document for your daughter is dealt with equally expeditiously by the British Embassy.

I guess the key issue now is the 15-day flight ban both in and out of Thailand that has just kicked off. Keeping tabs on what airline will be front of the queue if/when it reopens will be important. EVA seems to have been the one providing the most weekly flights and KLM had announced a schedule of twice-weekly flights to Amsterdam. Forget about the mid-east carriers as they seem to have all but shut down beyond a random Qatar flight that may have been arranged on a charter basis by some European government? A few Brits down in Phuket are rubbishing BA and/or their prices whereas Condor have been regularly taking passengers off the island direct to Frankfurt.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I’ve read a few nightmare stories of stranded foreigners in other countries booking flights at a high cost that subsequently get cancelled, and then doing it again ... with the same result. Once the credit card is maxed out your stranded and potless.

I’d find a place to stay and ride it out. I can’t see Thailand running with this for more than a month as the population will struggle to get by, and that Is not sustainable. Anyone in that situation has my sincere sympathy.

An Ozzie friend has just had hi 4th flight get cancelled ! rather ridiculous on the part of the airlines, in my opinion, they are not short of willing passengers !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cmsally said:

People booked on those Eva flights are wondering if they are still happening considering incoming flights seem to have been stopped. Seeing as these flights are maybe some of the last it is leaving a lot of people on tenterhooks. Is there any reliable source available for people to check their status.

At the moment the app states they are still operating.If no one departs into Thailand from Taiwan I see no reason why they would stop

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I still think everyone should just not go to immigration... Don't play their game... But it takes everyone to participate !!

Couple days of empty Imm offices and they will start to panic, as their income will dry up ????

Unless you have provided a map, they'll never find everyone...

Come on, lets mess with their heads....

Go ahead and do it let us know how you next extension goes

8 hours ago, GordyS said:

Make Thais queue up for 12 hours in the rain outside the embassy in the UK then refuse their extension on a minor technicality 

..I know its a knee jerk reaction although try not to blame and punish the Thai people for what the Junta does.

The two are not linked.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And thousands more have purchased reasonably priced tickets and are now happy and safe at home doing their 14-day quarantine.

I left when our government advised us to. I have 2 more days on quarantine.

i bought a reasonable ticket home, and got an $800 credit on the original flight. I know of several that told me I was panicking and things were ok.

all in lockdown now in different countries, 

glad I panicked!????????????????

1 hour ago, ian carman said:

I cannot understand why BA aren’t still operating.All they have to do is fly here empty and return full and charge say £700 to cover the cost of the outbound flight 

Maybe not enough Brits want to give up their place in a Thai Immigration office queue for a ride home?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And thousands more have purchased reasonably priced tickets and are now happy and safe at home doing their 14-day quarantine.

i dont know how anyone can be happy doing a 14 day quarantine after travelling by plane.

i just completed mine and was on edge the whole time.

no idea about the people i was sitting next to, and could not escape from them.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Which doesn't help the people who've had flights cancelled which is what the post refers to. When I read posts like yours I know without looking that it's going to be from one of half a dozen unsympathetic culprits on here, of which you're one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GordyS said:

Fair play, I have just used that email address in the OP and the reply was inside 30 minutes.

Good clear information and expedient replies to my queries

Thanks for that - I’ve met Brian the Ambassador socially several times- he is a really down to earth and pleasant guy - a diplomat - so will not discuss everything.

After Spain - the Bangkok embassy is the busiest in the world , mostly dealing with people who left their brain at the airport.

They can’t just bust you out of jail - fly you home or affect the decisions of the Thai government .

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

I left when our government advised us to. I have 2 more days on quarantine.

i bought a reasonable ticket home, and got an $800 credit on the original flight. I know of several that told me I was panicking and things were ok.

all in lockdown now in different countries, 

glad I panicked!????????????????

Me too...even if I did end up buying a horrendously expensive ticket on Thai when Emirates had to stop flying.

As I responded to the FCO's advice to "leave now" I'm going to be claiming the ticket on my insurance....when they start answering the phone again! 

21 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I’ve read a few nightmare stories of stranded foreigners in other countries booking flights at a high cost that subsequently get cancelled, and then doing it again ... with the same result. Once the credit card is maxed out your stranded and potless.

I’d find a place to stay and ride it out. I can’t see Thailand running with this for more than a month as the population will struggle to get by, and that Is not sustainable. Anyone in that situation has my sincere sympathy.

There was a Brit couple on the BBC news stranded in Phuket who have lost 7000 GBPs because of cancelled flight bookings. Beware. 

46 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

There was a Brit couple on the BBC news stranded in Phuket who have lost 7000 GBPs because of cancelled flight bookings. Beware. 

Yes, from Glasgow. But they are not the only ones to experience that.

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah ride it out, maybe back to normal in 2 years. I guess the worse case scenario apart from getting corona is the locals go crazy

Tosh. Common sense tells you that Thailand can not sustain this for more than a month ... the locals cannot survive much longer than that ... so the cost benefit analysis leads to them opening up commerce and inbound and outbound flights.

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Tosh. Common sense tells you that Thailand can not sustain this for more than a month ... the locals cannot survive much longer than that ... so the cost benefit analysis leads to them opening up commerce and inbound and outbound flights.

i guess you quoted the wrong person because what you say has nothing to do with my post

21 hours ago, ian carman said:

I cannot understand why BA aren’t still operating.All they have to do is fly here empty and return full and charge say £700 to cover the cost of the outbound flight 

I would think that is because Qatar, who effectively own BA, are still operating BKK - LHR via Doha.

• Thanks 1

The government is ramping up efforts to bring home thousands of travellers stranded overseas by coronavirus with a new package of extra flights and 10 additional airlines joining its scheme to keep commercial routes open and get British people back to the UK.

From next week the government will start to bring stranded British travellers back from India with flights from Delhi, Goa and Mumbai. Passengers interested in these flights from India are advised to check the travel advice for India which we will be updating when booking for these flights opens.

The number of airlines signed up to the Government’s scheme to get Britons home now stands at 14 after 10 new airlines, including British Airways, Norwegian, TUI and Ryanair, joined Virgin Atlantic, Titan, easyJet, and Jet2 who signed up earlier this week.

Since Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab announced on Monday (30 March) that the government had reached an agreement with airlines, more than 1,450 British travellers have flown home on specially chartered flights.

Foreign & Commonwealth Office steps up plans to bring home Britons stranded overseas

No mention of Thailand but they're nonetheless getting on with it.

Edited by evadgib