Germany angry because US take mask for German police at Bangkok Airport.

Yinn

US accused of 'modern piracy' after diversion of masks meant for Europe

About 200,000 N95 masks were diverted to the US as they were being transferred between planes in Thailand, according to the Berlin authorities who said they had ordered the masks for the police force.

link. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/mask-wars-coronavirus-outbidding-demand

• Like 1

Update 

I'm not going to do it': Trump rejects his own administration's advice on masks

But now, Adams said, it is known that a “significant portion” of people with the virus lack symptoms and can transmit it before they show symptoms, for example by coughing, sneezing or speaking. “In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends, and the task force recommends, wearing cloth-based coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain. These includes places like grocery stores and pharmacies.”

Link

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/im-not-going-to-do-it-trump-refutes-his-own-administrations-advice-on-masks

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

These masks were for police and medical personnel.

Prof Wieler of the RKI has clarified that the notion that masks protect others (Fremdschutz) and reduce the spread of virus is not scientifically proven.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200403-german-virus-data-offers-hope-but-curbs-must-stay-says-merkel

The German health minister continues to clarify that there is no obligation to wear masks.

We will of course not forget this American treachery. But we take it with a grain of salt, since we did the same with Switzerland.

Also, I don't understand the uproar, 3M is an American company, presumably the US has the right to requisition American products. Of course not cricket that they first sell them, then steal them like pirates, bit treacherous, but since they're desperate it's understandable.

Edited by Logosone
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Sound like corruption in Thailand...put on plane to US not Germany...did I read wrong

only profiteering middlemen would have bent, to a better price

Just now, robblok said:

Yea sure go back to the previous century while the US did so much <deleted> like invading countries under false pretense themselves.. chemical weapons anyone ? Look at the mess in the middle east you guys created.

Thats fine, you are entiled to your opinion. You arent a Yank, so to be honest, most Americans care not one whit about that opinion either. BTW rob, I hope all of your kith and kin in Euroland are staying healthy and hangin in there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

And Philips is a dutch company, why did trump order them to produce ventilators for the americans at their factory in the USA?

Because the factory in the USA is probably owned by an American subsidiary of Phillips.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Sound like corruption in Thailand...put on plane to US not Germany...did I read wrong

Sounds like massive corruption? but where, how was the USA able to divert cargo in a secure area unless they have a permanent presence? ????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I think Philips is a world leader in ventilators. Given that Philips, as a consumer electronics giant, is highly vunerable to blackmail from its largest market, the US, it is understandable that the Americans try their gangster tactics on the dutch

I 'm no expert buy i thought Philips sold it's consumer electronics business and went full for the medicare.

And if this american factory belongs 100% to philips i also don't know but the fact that this is big in the dutch news tells me it isn't a nice move from Trump (although i support this president for 100%).

How come he even can't get General Electrics to produce said ventilators? And why are ALL of those western countries so far behind the facts, Philips has huge orders for said ventilators and they try all they can to improve the production of them.

Also why was the West so stupid to not order mouthmasks or even better have huge amounts in stock? In Holland medicare is for everyone and they have plenty of money..they consider themselves to be the top of the world, well how come they were not prepared for this pandemic?? Who's gonna get sacked for it and when?

• Thanks 1

we also bought up a planeload of masks destined for france, right as it was sitting on the tarmac, waiting to depart china.  we paid double the going rate in cash.

but all's fair in love and corona, so at least now we no longer have to read complaints about chinese companies in australia buying masks to send back to china at the end of january.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not really an opinion mate.. its a fact that there were no chemical weapons and it was a war under false pretense. Nothing against Americans per se..Just American politics. I hope all of us stay healthy Euros, Americans ect. 

The war was for a very good reason.

Just ask Halliburton and the major shareholder at the time.

Pipelines ring any bells??

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Thian said:

I 'm no expert buy i thought Philips sold it's consumer electronics business and went full for the medicare.

And if this american factory belongs 100% to philips i also don't know but the fact that this is big in the dutch news tells me it isn't a nice move from Trump (although i support this president for 100%).

How come he even can't get General Electrics to produce said ventilators? And why are ALL of those western countries so far behind the facts, Philips has huge orders for said ventilators and they try all they can to improve the production of them.

Also why was the West so stupid to not order mouthmasks or even better have huge amounts in stock? In Holland medicare is for everyone and they have plenty of money..they consider themselves to be the top of the world, well how come they were not prepared for this pandemic?? Who's gonna get sacked for it and when?

All excellent questions.

Philips tried to sell its video and audio divisions to Funai of Japan. However they had a dispute and Philips terminated the agreement and the consumer electronics remains with Philips.

But you're absolutely right, they have focused more on health related products which looks like a smart decision.

Ownership of that factory is most likely in the specific US company Philips formed but ultimate ownership would still be with Philips. So no wonder the dutch are upset at what has happened.

Everyone is surprised US companies across the board have responded so poorly, GE being another example. However, the US historically takes a long time to get into gear, when it does it will probably produce more than needed. But for now Trump is desperate and calling on everyone to produce what he needs, stealing supplies from Germans etc.

As for not being prepared for the pandemic you are absolutely right, especially given the pandemic analysis the RKI did in 2012, and the Bill Gates warnings of 2015.

Nobody, but nobody was prepared. I would happily sack Angela Merkel for not heeding the 2012 warnings from the RKI and not preparing. But then she'll be gone soon anyway.

Edited by Logosone

57 minutes ago, Logosone said:

These masks were for police and medical personnel.

Prof Wieler of the RKI has clarified that the notion that masks protect others (Fremdschutz) and reduce the spread of virus is not scientifically proven.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200403-german-virus-data-offers-hope-but-curbs-must-stay-says-merkel

The German health minister continues to clarify that there is no obligation to wear masks.

We will of course not forget this American treachery. But we take it with a grain of salt, since we did the same with Switzerland.

Also, I don't understand the uproar, 3M is an American company, presumably the US has the right to requisition American products. Of course not cricket that they first sell them, then steal them like pirates, bit treacherous, but since they're desperate it's understandable.

Hmmm... supply chains. The only current source on the globe of medical-grade pulp to produce N95 masks is Canada. 3M may be US company but it would take a great deal longer for them to produce their own raw material than for Canada to ramp up production of masks and hoard the raw material. 

We are all in this together and resources must be shared equitably.

Edited by mikebike
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

but all's fair in love and corona, so at least now we no longer have to read complaints about chinese companies in australia buying masks to send back to china at the end of january.

I hope they are  some laws that those companies can be prosecuted under. 

Should they be found guilty, I feel all the directors assets should be seized, and after a long stint in max security, deport to the original home country and stripped of Austraian residency or citizenship.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not really an opinion mate.. its a fact that there were no chemical weapons and it was a war under false pretense. Nothing against Americans per se..Just American politics. I hope all of us stay healthy Euros, Americans ect. 

It's OK mate... they will probably go into Iran next and that will be their biggest mistake ever.... So i am sitting back with the popcorn and beers ready for the fireworks to start on that one.

It is going to make the Vietnam and Korean mistakes look like tea parties.

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It's blackmail my friend, you can dress it up in laws, but it's still blackmail.

Like this tariff thing, you want to sell German cars, you have to pay x amount. That is blackmail. Yes it is dressed up in laws. Still blackmail. 

Same with a dutch company forced to make and sell ventilators for the US. Whatever laws are put in place to justify it. Still blackmail.

You can dress a vulture up any way you want, it's still a vulture.

Yes and while all these companies are bending the knee for the mighty US Dollar, they won't be smiling so broadly when it collapses along with their fake economy. The US is heading for a future resembling an African model.

Just wait and watch.