Virus rebellion! Thais returning at airport refuse to go into government sanctioned quarantine

rooster59

2 people in my village returned from south korea the first week in march were put into quarantine in bangkok but let out 4 days later. 5 days after returning to the village thrir cousin whom lives at their house fell ill, loads of nurses and doctor came. Your fine only pnuemonia. Their uncle died 6days ago unknown cause

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, smedly said:

did you just waken from a long sleep 

may I suggest you ........................................... there

Show me the evidence that it is coronavirus on its own that is killing all of these people.

Most countries with high death counts are attributing Covid19 deaths as such, but with covid19 as a contributing factor and not necessarily the main cause.

Of course people should be cautious, but this isn't like ebola for example. The lockdowns are put in place to limit impacts on already stretched healthcare systems.

Get a clue before commenting, smh.

• Like 1

Absolutely pathetic, 3 with temperatures disappeared, the government backed down, people went home to self quarantine, which won't happen anyhow, just what hope has this country got? I am totally disgusted

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hotelbri said:

Serious question !!!

Do any posters KNOW of any expats their partners or family who actually are experiencing symptoms of this virus ?,

Make a new post asking that question Im sure you'll lots of response

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Agree, one should be allowed to quarantine at home, in theory.

But its how they get home and what transport they use, where they stop, will they stick to the 14 day rule.

It has a potential to completely go out of control.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hotelbri said:

Serious question !!!

Do any posters KNOW of any expats their partners or family who actually are experiencing symptoms of this virus ?,

read about a 'spreader' who was active in bangkapi a couple weeks ago, with a list of locations they had visited publicized.  one location was our little soi.

gf contacted our next door neighbor (we are currently stuck in china) and learned one person from the condo next door was taken away, and found to be infected with the virus.  no further info other than the building underwent a deep cleaning.

4 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

it's not the fitness of the home, but rather the mentality of the occupants.

I agree that it's not a good time for travelling, but a dodgy thermometer and a quick diagnosis at some airport, can get you forcibly detained in some unspecified ghetto, with a fair chance to get infected if you are not. Scary.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

read about a 'spreader' who was active in bangkapi a couple weeks ago, with a list of locations they had visited publicized.  one location was our little soi.

gf contacted our next door neighbor (we are currently stuck in china) and learned one person from the condo next door was taken away, and found to be infected with the virus.  no further info other than the building underwent a deep cleaning.

Im assuming you are a farang? as you say you are stuck in China whats the situation with your visa are they making it easy for you or what?

I watched this on the Thai news this morning to me there seemed a lot of confusion as to what they were supposed to do although a large group of them agreed to the quarantine others flatly refused

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I agree that it's not a good time for travelling, but a dodgy thermometer and a quick diagnosis at some airport, can get you forcibly detained in some unspecified ghetto, with a fair chance to get infected if you are not. Scary.

in this case, it would not have mattered in the slightest.

anyone returning from overseas was required to undergo 14-days supervised quarantine.  all were to be properly tested during the quarantine, at least once.  the only thing a dodgy thermometer would result in would be that person or persons sent directly to a hospital rather than to the quarantine hotel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

the only thing a dodgy thermometer would result in would be that person or persons sent directly to a hospital rather than to the quarantine hotel.

You make it sound rather normal, but it's not.

• Haha 1

Four-hour airport standoff ends with Thai returnees agreeing on quarantine

National

Apr 04. 2020

The 166 Thais who had flown home from overseas on Friday night (April 3) gave up their resistance and agreed to go to quarantine facilities in Chonburi’s Sattahip district, Nation TV reporters said from Suvarnabhumi Airport on Saturday (April 4

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385409

800_12c1b709193ae20.jpg?v=1585973145

16 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Im assuming you are a farang? as you say you are stuck in China whats the situation with your visa are they making it easy for you or what?

yes, i'm a 'dirty foreigner' with a non-o retirement that expires in october, here with my thai ladyfriend.

we have work visas for china, and have just decided to extend another year rather than return to thailand.  the situation in hainan is almost back to normal, visa renewal is an easy paperwork shuffle; so far no new requirements for our category of visa.

don't know what is happening with laowai on tourist visas, or whether there are any left in the country.  i can tell you flights from overseas have been reduced in number, and the airports they can fly into have been restricted.  anyone arriving from overseas is required to undergo 14 days monitored quarantine in government selected hotels at the traveler's expense.  our local government sent out a pdf that estimated quarantine costs (hotel, food, etc) at 500-800 rmb/day. (about 2500-3000 baht/day)

they've also gone full police-state.  everyone had to (this was just rescinded for hainan) download an app to monitor their health status, updated every 72 hours.  you would have to show your clear QR-code to access public facilities, businesses and housing complexes.  this was linked to your bank records, social media, phone records, bus and train passenger rosters, police cctv with facial recognition, and gps location monitoring.  big brother is everywhere and knows all things.  they're using big data to track down suspected carriers and anyone they've come in contact with.

we had been planning to return sometime during the summer.  i need to extend my stay and renew drivers licenses, and honey bunny wanted to buy some land, but given the situation we'll probably stay here this summer.

• Like 1

According to the order, all aircraft carrying passengers will be prohibited from entering Thailand from 0.01am on April 4 until 11.59pm on April 6, with exception for state or military aircraft, emergency landing, technical landing of aircraft without passengers, humanitarian aid, medical and relief flights, repatriation flights and cargo flights.

Now they say only Phuket,so confusing.

Four-hour airport standoff ends with Thai returnees agreeing on quarantine

By THE NATION

800_12c1b709193ae20.jpg

The 166 Thais who had flown home from overseas on Friday night (April 3) gave up their resistance and agreed to go to quarantine facilities in Chonburi’s Sattahip district, Nation TV reporters said from Suvarnabhumi Airport on Saturday (April 4).

A commotion had broken out when Thai passengers landing at Suvarnabhumi on Friday evening refused to go to quarantine facilities, claiming they were not notified in advance of the procedures.

The event prompted the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) to issue an order temporarily prohibiting aircraft from entering Thailand for three days -- from April 4 to 6, except for some cases such as emergency landing and medical flights.

According to the Nation TV reporter, after over four hours of a standoff between 166 passengers and airport staff, they finally agreed to go to quarantine facilities at around 2am.

The airport dispatched four buses to take the passengers from gate 10 on the second floor of the passenger terminal to Sattahip Naval Base in Chonburi province. The passengers will remain there in quarantine for 14 days and will have to strictly follow the regulations regarding quarantine procedures announced by Ministry of Public Health.

158596500660.jpg

Of the 166 passengers, 76 had returned from Japan on flight JL 31, another 16 by TG 641 from Japan, 19 by NH 847 also from Japan, 44 by SQ 976 from Singapore and 11 by GR 832 from Qatar.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385409

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-04

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

It's all about me, me, me. 

Yes, just like in Western countries who ravaged their contries by their selfish arrgancies. May be Thais ar ent better but at least they were wearing masks. 

My condo swiming pool was closed for some time but today I saw Tom (plumber), DIck (truck driver), and Harry (brck layer) went into to the dirty water swiming pool to cool themselves off.  THeir adventures during the time of corona virus continues. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

Thailand may follow the same path as China but they will get one or two steps down that path and fall down face-flat for about a zillion reasons ... in no particular order ...

(a) China CCTV budget for hardware is about 3 x Thai GNP

(b) facial recognition and mandatory mask wearing? How does that work?

(c) where do we even find a non-fiction Thai bus/train roster?

(d) linked bank records? i understand that many TV extenders have trouble even getting a statent printed

(e) access to housing complexes? recent stay in Sukhumvit condo the card-readers kaput 50% of time, security = guy sitting on milk-crate

(f) what % of Thai city-dwellers are technically still village-dwellers according to their ID cards?

etc

etc

Fact: Nobody does China like China.

Opinion: Nobody will do anywhere like China, it's operating a failing and unsustainable system.

(b) facial recognition and mandatory mask wearing? How does that work?

it works.  multiple countries are working on it.  china has at least one system using it.  surprisingly accurate.

there are other methods as well.  usa has a system that can identify individuals appearing in a video by the veins on their wrists.  terrorists wearing masks or balaclavas in their videos still have to worry about sudden kinetic deliveries.

• Haha 1