Hua Hin: "Cheap" three hour Covid-19 test available to all from Tuesday

rooster59

1 minute ago, mike324 said:

For the SARS drug, I read that the virus went away quickly before pharmaceutical companies saw a need to develop the a drug for it as it was not profitable. It seems like it would be good for organizations like WHO or government to support the development of these drugs.

Sure and here in Australia the Health Minister quickly said that the government will promptly provide all support (incl funds and needed resources) for further research, field testing etc.

• Like 1

What about other cities? We can't all be going to Hua Hin...

5000 baht is not cheap. I think the higher end is for foreigners.

They should lower it to 500 baht instead.

Edited by EricTh

I read the test kits costs around $170 usd which comes with 100 tests this is one made by a German company. Then there is the charge of processing the swab to analyze the result, this is the slow bit as you need to run it through a machine. But it doesn't need to be expensive, the test is cheap itself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2020 at 3:17 AM, Borzandy said:

"between 3,500 and 5,000 baht. The price range was not explained" easy to explain 3500 for Thais and 5000 for farangs.

and he said health insurance would cover the test.  but how many middle to low income class Thais have any insurance?  I thought most Thais literally get some routine care free at Government hospitals.  I

What does it actually test?  how accurate?  Does it prove you had the virus, does it check for antibodies in your system?  Is it useful if you had the virus two weeks before, 4 weeks before, etc?  And the next question is who gets the results and what are done with the results?  If a person tests positive as having had the virus, do they quarantine them or track them down and investigate?  Thousands and millions of people most likely had the virus but had no symptoms now or in the past.  So if the test detects something positive, then what? 

Edited by gk10002000

• 2 weeks later...

Rumour has it if one is to fly abroad there will be a need for a fit-to-fly certificate including a free-of-covid19 test, not older than 72 hrs.

I can see where this "cheap" (i.e. cash bonanza) reference comes from... and who benefits ????

Particularly for those with little or no choice i.e. "farangs" going back home or extending visa abroad (eg. flying HHQ-KUL and beyond)