Automatic visa extensions for tourists in Thailand “just a matter of time” - details being ironed out: govt spokesman

Just now, vermin on arrival said:

When people have already gotten the under consideration stamp for their emergency covid extension will they need to get new embassy leaders for additional emergency extensions. Will we need to continue to go twice a month to get our full 30 days?

Yes
I wan't to know whats going on with this issue too.

Everyone focusing on the news for  people who arrived after 1st March. They seem to have it easier.

What's the protocol for the majority, the rest of us ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

When people have already gotten the under consideration stamp for their emergency covid extension will they need to get new embassy leaders for additional emergency extensions. Will we need to continue to go twice a month to get our full 30 days?

At the present moment in time, the answer is YES.

1 hour ago, Viezeman said:

I entered the country on 10 march. Guess its going to be overstay untill they officially announce it.

If they don't announce anything clear, you could just go to immigration on April 9 and pay 1,900 for an extension, couldn't you?

29 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

...Everyone focusing on the news for  people who arrived after 1st March. They seem to have it easier.

What's the protocol for the majority, the rest of us ?...

The general assumption in government circles seems to be that the "rest of us", the foreign tourists who arrived before 1 March 2020, saw the writing on the wall and, heeding the travel alerts issues by our governments, have scarpered by now, and that the non-tourists are taken care of by immigration with one-year extensions of stay.

The same can, of course, be said also of those who arrived since 1 March, or it could be said that they should not even have travelled to Thailand because of the ongoing Covid-19 situation but it seems that something has to be done because immigration has difficulty coping with the unexpected demand for extensions of stay for the reason of "necessity" that has been promoted by the Memorandum 0029.161/W 916

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LNER4472 said:

I entered Thailand on the 7th of March, so those among you will work out that my 30 Days run out tomorrow.

I'm a teacher in your same boat. My job also ended in March, so I did a run to Laos, got a new tourist visa until April, now just extended it to May.

After that, I'm hoping my new school gets my Non-B ready. If not we can a second extension using an embassy letter, or from what I'm hearing, it could possibly be automatic. But certainly don't count on that.

Thing is, there's no need to overstay. Go get the extension.

Don't worry about your age. Good thing about us teachers, is that there will be no shortage of jobs when the schools do open. The borders are currently closed to incoming foreigners. They've only got us to choose from now. ????

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
Typos

I would much prefer they just cap the overstay at 10,000baht for up to three months and written declaration that no detrimental effects on future re-entry for overstay occuring between 15th Feb - May/June/whenever-normality-resumes.  Win win for everyone, no more trees, no immigration visits, and a health lump of money for the country. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, allencraig said:

Anyone who ENTERED before March 1, can get a 30-day "Covid extension", EVEN IF they've already received an extension. Just need to go to the temporary immigration area in Muang Thong Thani, with the regular paperwork PLUS the letter from their embassy.

Glad to hear your immigration office is thinking with a clear head. Samut Prakan certainly wasn't, when I tried about a week ago. They also wanted:

1. Rental contract (they didn't like the address on it, not specific enough)

2. Owner's ID card (who's in another part of town)

3. Owner's tabien baan

They certainly didn't want people leaving BKK, but that was one of the many things pushing us out. The extension was a breeze to do here upcountry.

22 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

“A bit of apain in the ass to get to, but I found minivans there andback for 35thb each way. “

mini vans?! I’d rather take a cruise.

Well there's plenty of taxis available for folks who don't mind paying extra to avoid sitting next to another person.

• Like 1

Changed from my non-o + extension to a Mae Sai border run on purpose March 14th and gonna be expiring April 12th.
Wondering if they are going to get me the automatic extension as I was planning to go late next week otherwise, seems I should wait as long as possible. 
Just too many mixed stories, disgrace for the lack of clear reporting during these times.

Would be brilliant if I get a free extension until the end of June though, saves me 1 visa trip abroad this year OR 12-15K baht.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

how are you going to get a non B visa?

You need obtain that OUT of Thailand, school cant do that for you>>

Find a good school, which I believe he'll have no trouble with given his experience.

Do find: Direct hire, at preferably a private, international, or big govt school.

DO NOT FIND: Hire through an agency, who's got no clue or concern other than their kickbacks, and takes any backpacker fresh off the plane for 30k.

The former can arrange your Non-B at local immigration. The latter will have you do a border run.

27 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

After that, I'm hoping my new school gets my Non-B ready. If not we can a second extension using an embassy letter, or from what I'm hearing, it could possibly be automatic. But certainly don't count on that.

22 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

how are you going to get a non B visa?

You need obtain that OUT of Thailand, school cant do that for you>>

It can also be applied for a immigration.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_73  See the top right of the page to change to English.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This topic just got shorter after I removed several off topic, Thai bashing and those about other countries posts. 

No further notice will given when post are removed.

A reminder. If your post disappears you can assume you stepped over the line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Given countries around the world have recognised the problem and found solutions very quickly, you have to ask why it is such a complicated and time consuming problem here? The current calls for stupid amount of documents and forcing many people to form a crowd at immigration when they should be social distancing is plain crazy.

This should be resolved immediately even if Prayut has to bring out and dust off article 44.

I ❤️ you