Automatic visa extensions for tourists in Thailand “just a matter of time” - details being ironed out: govt spokesman

On the website which may not be linked to is a news which says that they are working on another proposel to automatically extend visas of tourists whose visas have expired after March 26, so that they won't need to visit an immigration office.

Non-immigrant visa holders will still have to visit immigration offices.

The cabinet will probably decide about it within this week.

The previous automatic extension proposel was approved already, but as we know it's still not active yet. I wonder how long it will take them, if it ever happens.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Just read an article in the newspaper that cannot be mentioned that immigration expect things to be finalized shortley,

It say that those that got 30 day extensions after March 26th will have them renewed automatically every 30 days until the end of the crisis. 

For those on long stay extensions nothing will change. You will have to do your reports and extension as normal.

So I really missed the point about March 26. This rule would apply to all TR Visa holders and Exempts no matter when you entered Thailand right? For example in my case, I entered with a SETV on Feb 10 and my normal 30 day extension falls on April 10. So if the new rule is enforced before that, I won't have to go to the immigration office before the crisis is over?

I'm just giving my own example because I'm sure many have the exact same case. I had a flight back to my home country on May 10 and it's now cancelled so with this new "visa amnesty", my visa will be automatically extended on April 10, May 10, June 10...and as long as the situation is resolved?  

6 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

So if the new rule is enforced before that, I won't have to go to the immigration office before the crisis is over?

I think you will need to apply for the first extension and then after that they will be doing the next one automatically.

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Just read an article in the newspaper that cannot be mentioned that immigration expect things to be finalized shortley,

It says that those that got 30 day extensions after March 26th will have them renewed automatically every 30 days until the end of the crisis. 

For those on long stay extensions nothing will change. You will have to do your reports and extension as normal.

This is where i am confused, i read the article. I came visa exempt, then extended 60 days to visit the kids. Where do i fit?

As i cant get another extension, and i cant get back home either.

????????????

Thanks Doc. great diagnosis. I've already read up: 10 documents (2 copies) required (see Richard Barrow Facebook page), and decided I need an agent, because too many cases of long queuing followed by rejection. As others have said, the exemption appears to be for those who have already received an extension. Also the exemption was announced yesterday by Immigration and subject to cabinet approval, but Cabinet announced it last week, so they are batting it backwards and forwards so no clarity on when this will be accepted.

And the 30-day stamp in my passport has a "Visa Class" entry in it (illegible squiggle) so I call that a visa.

Disappointing that there are no recommended visa agents out there. I guess I'll have to take my chances.

5 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

This is where i am confused, i read the article. I came visa exempt, then extended 60 days to visit the kids. Where do i fit?

????????????

In general the rules which apply to you depend on the visa class which you used to enter the country (unless you specifically convert it from one class to another). Nobody knows for sure how they will handle it, but you will almost certainly be considered a tourist.

2 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I don't understand why immigration do not implement a simple solution. Every one who's permission to stay has expired will pay a 500 baht per day "No valid permission to stay charge". Payable at 90 reports, leaving country or renewing permission to stay.

This is already implemented, it's usually called "overstay fine"

Edited by jackdd

3 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

????????????

You can apply for a 30 day extension with a letter from your embassy. That would you in for the automatic extensions.

It may also be possible to apply for another 60 day extension. In the memorandum for special extensions there is clause that mentions getting an extension that does not meet the normal requirements which in this case would be the only one per entry rule.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

????????????

If it was your original intention to long-stay in Thailand, you can also apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - dependant children Visa at your local IO.  This has to be done when you still have at least 15 (some IOs require 21) days left on your permission to stay.

So you have actually 3 options:

- apply for the 30-day emergency extension (needs the embassy letter)

- apply for a second 60-day extension for reason of visiting your dependant children (see UJ's post #128 - as it would need to be handled as an exception to the general rule)

- apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - dependant children Visa

All three options available at your local IO, and each one having different requirements.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I don't understand why immigration do not implement a simple solution. Every one who's permission to stay has expired will pay a 500 baht per day "No valid permission to stay charge". Payable at 90 reports, leaving country or renewing permission to stay.

There is a power struggle going on. On the one hand, top officials know the current mess at immigration offices is ridiculous. On the other hand, it is unclear how to resolve this without jeopardising the income from agent assisted extensions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If it was your original intention to long-stay in Thailand, you can also apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - dependant children Visa at your local IO.  This has to be done when you still have at least 15 (some IOs require 21) days left on your permission to stay.

So you have actually 3 options:

- apply for the 30-day emergency extension (needs the embassy letter)

- apply for a second 60-day extension for reason of visiting your dependant children (see UJ's post #128 - as it would need to be handled as an exception to the general rule)

- apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - dependant children Visa

All three options available at your local IO, and each one having different requirements.

Thought applying for 90 day non o had to be done at an embassy outside of thailand?

16 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

Thought applying for 90 day non o had to be done at an embassy outside of thailand?

You are generally correct. However, if here on a tourist entry, it is possible to apply for a single entry Non O visa (immediately used to give a 90 day permission to stay) under some circumstances.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You are generally correct. However, if here on a tourist entry, it is possible to apply for a single entry Non O visa (immediately used to give a 90 day permission to stay) under some circumstances.

Not going to hijack the thread anymore, but i already extended 60 days, i have until june 2nd, i will go to immigration before that and ask what can be done.

If this automatic extension comes in, im sure i would fall under the catergory for that, as i entered on a visa exempt and extended for visit family 60days.

????

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a 30 day extension with a letter from your embassy. That would you in for the automatic extensions.

It may also be possible to apply for another 60 day extension. In the memorandum for special extensions there is clause that mentions getting an extension that does not meet the normal requirements which in this case would be the only one per entry rule.

Hi Ubonjoe,

Do you have a link to that clause in English and Thai, please? I'm in the same boat as Jimmjam, since the IO at Udon Imm refused to grant me the standard 30 day extension to a visa exempt PLUS the 60 days for visiting my wife and family. He told me I had to choose one or the other, so I obviously had to choose the 60-day option.

So, what exactly is the law? Are you actually entitled to a 30-day standard extension to a 30-day visa exempt entry, followed by a further 60 days based on marriage, or is that up to each individual officer?

Many thanks.

MF

Edited by MagnumForce
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

Hi Ubonjoe,

Do you have a link to that clause in English and Thai, please? I'm in the same boat as Jimmjam, since the IO at Udon Imm refused to grant me the standard 30 day extension to a visa exempt PLUS the 60 days for visiting my wife and family. He told me I had to choose one or the other, so I obviously had to choose the 60-day option.

So, what exactly is the law? Are you actually entitled to a 30-day standard extension to a 30-day visa exempt entry, followed by a further 60 days based on marriage, or is that up to each individual officer?

Many thanks.

MF

I have 2 months left, so hopefully by the time my extension runs out, there will be some clarity to this automatic extension.

I will go to immigration if not.

Or maybe borders will open again.

????‍♂️

17 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

Do you have a link to that clause in English and Thai, please?

Downloads of the memorandom is in the OP of this topic. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155116-immigration-is-allowing-30-day-extensions-of-entries-memorandum-dated-1803/

Downloads for police order 327/2557 is in this topic. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/981135-laws-regulations-police-orders-etc/  See number 5 on the cover page of the order and clause 2.24 for the 60 day extension.

17 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

So, what exactly is the law? Are you actually entitled to a 30-day standard extension followed by a further 60 days based on marriage, or is that up to each individual officer?

There is noting that says you can or cannot get one. The only thing is clause 2.4 for the 30 day extensions is that only one can be applied for but the 60 day extension is a different category of extension so immigration can issue a 60 day extension after the 30 day extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a similar theme to posts #122 & #123

if this proposal is approved, would it apply to my situation and I would get auto extension.

30 day VOA 13th March - expires 12th April

applied for extension 19th March

passport has stamp from 12th April and 12th May

28 minutes ago, turks said:

if this proposal is approved, would it apply to my situation and I would get auto extension.

Nobody here has seen this proposal, so nobody can answer your question, all we can do is guess.

Edited by jackdd

So, it is already about 3 weeks since the escalation of the situation with Covid 19 virus in Thailand (since 15 of March, approximately). A lot of time. All we got until now, apart from several rumors, declarations and promises - the temporary "under consideration" stamps for 10-20 days each. I would not expect something to change drastically any time soon. If they really wanted to help us - they would do it long time ago. What looks most likely is that we will continue visiting the Immirgration offices once or twice a month, paying 1900 thb for each month and bringing new loads of papers with us on each visit.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmjam said:
1 hour ago, MagnumForce said:

Hi Ubonjoe,

Many thanks.

MF

I have 2 months left, so hopefully by the time my extension runs out, there will be some clarity to this automatic extension.

I will go to immigration if not.

Or maybe borders will open again.

I'm in the exact same boat as you, Jimmjam. Your 60-day extension runs out on June 2, mine on June 3. June 3 is also a holiday for the Queen's birthday. I just hope 60 days will be enough to see us through to normality so I can get to Laos for my Non-Imm 'O' (and be allowed back to Thailand without stupid requirements).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MagnumForce said:

I'm in the exact same boat as you, Jimmjam. Your 60-day extension runs out on June 2, mine on June 3. June 3 is also a holiday for the Queen's birthday. I just hope 60 days will be enough to see us through to normality so I can get to Laos for my Non-Imm 'O' (and be allowed back to Thailand without stupid requirements).

We can only hope.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It says that those that got 30 day extensions after March 26th will have them renewed automatically every 30 days until the end of the crisis. 

Interesting if that happens. My first extension of POE was on 26/03. I assume after 26/03 means on or after the 26/03?

Also, i'm having a discussion with friends here, does automatic extension mean you still need to go to immigration or not?

Cheers

Canadian friend just made it out on chartered flight   Mon 6 th HKT-FRA then FRA-YYZ   Dinged with 11day overstay5500 bht. Even with letter from Canadain embassy and proof CX cancelled her return flights.                   We arrived on Jan 11 on 60 day tourist Visa extended 30 days to April 9th.           Now what? Got Canadian Embassy visa letter  But? Looks like we will have stay until mid May?             Thank you ???????? first posting on this forum  

7 minutes ago, Thaidai26 said:

Canadian friend just made it out on chartered flight   Mon 6 th HKT-FRA then FRA-YYZ   Dinged with 11day overstay5500 bht. Even with letter from Canadain embassy and proof CX cancelled her return flights.                   We arrived on Jan 11 on 60 day tourist Visa extended 30 days to April 9th.           Now what? Got Canadian Embassy visa letter  But? Looks like we will have stay until mid May?             Thank you ???????? first posting on this forum  

You can take your embassy letter to immigration and get another extension.

Regarding the tourist category for proposed automatic extensions...my 60 day tourist visa was due to expire April 3 but I went in to extend it for 30 days on March 25...

Does the March 26 date refer to the date the extension was applied for or the date the visa was going to expire?

????

Will be gutted if I miss this for being a damn pro-active early-bird...hehe

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you will need to apply for the first extension and then after that they will be doing the next one automatically.

Given that 26th March is being quoted as a significant date:

My METV Valid Until 26 March 2020

Last entry on 3 Feb, admitted until 2 April.

30 day extension obtained on/dated as issued on 26 March.

Extension of stay permitted up to 2 May.

On the assumption that all is going to be as expected, do you think I will be on the rolling, no attendance necessary scheme, or will I have to go back and renew first?

Edited by Enoon

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

How about another 30 days with an Embassy letter?

That is one of the options i will be thinking over. I will go to immigration a week before my extension is about to expire and see what they say, its a very quiet immigration office, only ever see laos nationals and the odd farang. So i wont be waiting in line for hours.

• Thanks 1

It seems each day there is a new proposal and yet nothing has been done.  For weeks there have been proposals and no results.  

Well, we'll see.  

So I ask...

I arrived in Thailand in the middle of March on visa exempt.  Since I have not ever extended my current visa , would I still have to apply for an extension since they're talking about people who have extended already after March 26.  Or is the arrived after March 1 still apply?  There are too many proposals now and no action.  Just talk.  

• Like 1