Automatic visa extensions for tourists in Thailand “just a matter of time” - details being ironed out: govt spokesman

It's Tuesday, we have another cabinet meeting today.  The previous two weeks have been just talk and proposals.  Nothing has been done, nothing is official.  Another week has passed and nothing has changed.  I hope this week's cabinet meeting has some official results.  And hopefully the proposal that passed LAST WEEK becomes official.  

1 hour ago, eppic said:

Robinlovie,

Thanks for reporting back.  So this was a first extension of the visa exemption, right?  The one that was supposedly not necessary based on the "no need to queue" (for those arriving after Mar 1) announcement from the MFA spokesman? 

We also had a report here that those arriving for these extensions were told there was no need to report to immigration -- obviously false news.

May I ask what time you arrived?  

Honestly, we will stay at home and wait for the swat team to bust down our door for overstay before I will force my wife and small child to endure 8 hours of this idiotic nonsense. I have tried to avoid the Thai-bashing here, but in this case the Thai authorities truly deserve all the abuse directed toward them.

Got there at 8.15. I think they open at 9. Yes - i had also been told confidently elsewhere that I didn't need to even go and get the regular extension on a visa exemption arrival. And I hoped maybe that was the case. It certainly wasn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

This is confusing. Are automatic extensions for Tourists who entered after March 1st an official thing or not? I entered back from USA on March 16.... sooo do I need to go waste an entire day at the immigration office or not?

You want a regular extension I think, not a Covid one.  There is no change to these, except to ask why would a tourist arrive here on March 16th given the situation then?

I’m a bit confused. I read the article published in The Nation. It says automatic renewal until April 30. Is it 30 days from date of expiration or April 30?

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385641?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral