Automatic visa extensions for tourists in Thailand “just a matter of time” - details being ironed out: govt spokesman

3 minutes ago, allencraig said:

I entered on a VOA stamp before March 1, and had already received an extension. I extended again yesterday. Here's what I learned:

1. Anyone who ENTERED Thailand on or after March 1 gets an automatic extension. NO NEED to go to immigration or do anything.
2. Anyone who ENTERED before March 1, can get a 30-day "Covid extension", EVEN IF they've already received an extension. Just need to go to the temporary immigration area in Muang Thong Thani, with the regular paperwork PLUS the letter from their embassy. A B/W copy is fine. No other forms out of the ordinary are needed. (Or weren't needed in my case.) Cost is 1.900thb.
3. The temporary immigration processing area is in the new Central Intelligence Bureau parking facility. A bit of a pain in the ass to get to, but I found minivans there and back for 35thb each way. The wait should be about 4 to 5 hours. It's very organized but it just takes a while because there's a lot of people. There are food and drink stands set up, too. There are 8 or 10 people doing the actual processing.

DocsNeeded.jpg

Waiting.jpg

Thanks for the update ????

• Like 1

I entered Thailand on the 7th of March, so those among you will work out that my 30 Days run out tomorrow. I when to immigration Yesterday afternoon and told them that I need an extension and because I cannot find work here as you all will know all the schools, colleges and universities are closed. I have lived here for 15 years and I have been a teacher of English in both Private or State Owned Schools. I was retired from my last job as the Labour Office told the school that they would not extend my Work Permit and The area Education Office also said they would not supply the necessary paperwork for extending Visa and work Permit. I am 63 years old. I do know that some Teachers who are older than me are still teaching, because the Director of their schools told the necessary departments that He or She wanted to keep the Teacher. So I am not working or being paid by anyone and when I read about the Automatic Visa Extension I thought they have thrown me a life line. But it turns out not yet. So as of tomorrow night I will be overstaying.  

• Sad 6

24 minutes ago, LNER4472 said:

I entered Thailand on the 7th of March, so those among you will work out that my 30 Days run out tomorrow.

You can apply for the normal 30 day extension on Tuesday without being fined since immigration will be closed until then.

I assume you are not from a country that gets their 30 day visa exempt entry from bilateral agreement.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Will they do the same for aliens like me? I'm not a tourist..

wishful thinking... we the "aliens" will have to visit the office and pay the fees, no free or automatic for us

1 hour ago, allencraig said:

I entered on a VOA stamp before March 1, and had already received an extension. I extended again yesterday. Here's what I learned:

1. Anyone who ENTERED Thailand on or after March 1 gets an automatic extension. NO NEED to go to immigration or do anything.
2. Anyone who ENTERED before March 1, can get a 30-day "Covid extension", EVEN IF they've already received an extension. Just need to go to the temporary immigration area in Muang Thong Thani, with the regular paperwork PLUS the letter from their embassy. A B/W copy is fine. No other forms out of the ordinary are needed. (Or weren't needed in my case.) Cost is 1.900thb.
3. The temporary immigration processing area is in the new Central Intelligence Bureau parking facility. A bit of a pain in the ass to get to, but I found minivans there and back for 35thb each way. The wait should be about 4 to 5 hours. It's very organized but it just takes a while because there's a lot of people. There are food and drink stands set up, too. There are 8 or 10 people doing the actual processing.

DocsNeeded.jpg

Waiting.jpg

Thanks for update.

Just to be clear, someone from the immigration office told you that if you enter after 1st of march you don't need to do anything. Not even a report to some entity? 

1 hour ago, allencraig said:

DocsNeeded.jpg

Waiting.jpg

It's great to see that update being posted thanks for that. It's really hard to believe that they ever get anything sorted out in a clearly defined manner. 

In regards to your first point. People who arrived after March 1st and needing their initial 30-day extension. Where is it written that you don't have to even show up at the immigration? 

I can't find such information anywhere. It would really help if you can post an official photo of the document or something. 

15 minutes ago, Tim123456 said:

It's great to see that update being posted thanks for that. It's really hard to believe that they ever get anything sorted out in a clearly defined manner. 

In regards to your first point. People who arrived after March 1st and needing their initial 30-day extension. Where is it written that you don't have to even show up at the immigration? 

I can't find such information anywhere. It would really help if you can post an official photo of the document or something. 

It's not written anywhere as far as I know. I've heard of it for a few days, and I can only report on what I saw happen at immigration yesterday. I think people are "waiting" to hear an official announcement on this the gov't has said is to come...soon.

23 minutes ago, Abrax said:

Thanks for update.

Just to be clear, someone from the immigration office told you that if you enter after 1st of march you don't need to do anything. Not even a report to some entity? 

He indirectly said that, yes. He checked my date. I lastly arrived before the 1st. But right after me, he pointed at a page in someone's passport and said "after March first, you don't need to be here". But like you, I'd prefer clear, documented information, and I can't offer that.

1 hour ago, LNER4472 said:

I entered Thailand on the 7th of March, so those among you will work out that my 30 Days run out tomorrow. I when to immigration Yesterday afternoon and told them that I need an extension and because I cannot find work here as you all will know all the schools, colleges and universities are closed. I have lived here for 15 years and I have been a teacher of English in both Private or State Owned Schools. I was retired from my last job as the Labour Office told the school that they would not extend my Work Permit and The area Education Office also said they would not supply the necessary paperwork for extending Visa and work Permit. I am 63 years old. I do know that some Teachers who are older than me are still teaching, because the Director of their schools told the necessary departments that He or She wanted to keep the Teacher. So I am not working or being paid by anyone and when I read about the Automatic Visa Extension I thought they have thrown me a life line. But it turns out not yet. So as of tomorrow night I will be overstaying.  

<deleted>, sorry to hear it. This is a perfect example of how immigration officials here don't seem to think through the policies they implement. It's like all the details evade them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, allencraig said:

He indirectly said that, yes. He checked my date. I lastly arrived before the 1st. But right after me, he pointed at a page in someone's passport and said "after March first, you don't need to be here". But like you, I'd prefer clear, documented information, and I can't offer that.

A more important question is whether the "after 1-Mar" tourists will receive automatic extension ONLY ONE TIME?  Or it is indefinite until they can leave the country.  Knowing how things work here, after 30 days even these "auto-extended" tourists will have to join the standard Covid-19 Embassy Letter tourists if they need to continue beyond that first extension.

1 hour ago, LNER4472 said:

Rather than overstaying can't you get the standard 1900thb 30 day extension? 

49 minutes ago, allencraig said:

Well, it's more than i got from official sources. In light of this i will wait for the announcement and not renewing my visa. and let's hope.

Thank you very much

• Like 2