Automatic visa extensions for tourists in Thailand “just a matter of time” - details being ironed out: govt spokesman

8 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

It seems each day there is a new proposal and yet nothing has been done.  For weeks there have been proposals and no results.  

Well, we'll see.  

So I ask...

I arrived in Thailand in the middle of March on visa exempt.  Since I have not ever extended my current visa , would I still have to apply for an extension since they're talking about people who have extended already after March 26.  Or is the arrived after March 1 still apply?  There are too many proposals now and no action.  Just talk.  

It will be announced hopefully this week.

You havent extended yet, so going to get the extension will be farely easy.

You will be extending after march the 26th, so that will apply to you aswell.

Where are you?

And how long do you have left on your current stamp?

I think the safest thing to do right now is get the embassy letter and then apply for the 30 day extension. I applied for my extension on April 3rd at Sa Kaeo province and got stamp till April 23rd.  Was told to go back on 23rd to get 10 more days when Bangkok approves. Yes, you do need 6 items people are talking about  but my hotel was more than nice to supply all the required documents.  Line was long and I was there for almost 2 hours.  Immigration staff there was nice to everyone but the procedure has to be followed: this is life.

A post containing a link to the Bangkok post has been removed.

Forum rule.

"26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.
These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com"

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A post containing a link to the Bangkok post has been removed.

Forum rule.

"26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.
These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com"

But now you know what the article was about and it hopefully will help a lot of people if the proposal is accepted.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

But now you know what the article was about and it hopefully will help a lot of people if the proposal is accepted.

I read it early this morning and posted some info about it in this topic.

18 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What is the proposal. I have read the news and indeed this thread. With nonsense header.."automatic extensions......"

What's that mean? 

Could be worse case that you need attend imm for 30 extension stamp with same paperwork and 1900baht fee ongoing without embassy letter.

At best could mean after you have used up first extension then you just need return for free extensions until certain date.

You know what the detail will be or assuming.

Edited by DrJack54

I thought a proposal had already been accepted by the moron cabinet already? Why is this going on even longer?

Is this a seperate proposal to the one where tourist visas/visa exemptions who arrived after March 1 were automatically extended?

My visa exemption expired on 3rd and I haven't extended (immigration was a <deleted>show). Not sure what to do here. 

Edited by DoctorZaius6

5 hours ago, JohnBZ said:

I think the safest thing to do right now is get the embassy letter and then apply for the 30 day extension. I applied for my extension on April 3rd at Sa Kaeo province and got stamp till April 23rd.  Was told to go back on 23rd to get 10 more days when Bangkok approves. Yes, you do need 6 items people are talking about  but my hotel was more than nice to supply all the required documents.  Line was long and I was there for almost 2 hours.  Immigration staff there was nice to everyone but the procedure has to be followed: this is life.

My extension also expires on 23rd april. Mine was done in pattaya/jomtien
We both get our extra ten days stamp hopefully on 23rd then.
Do we need to bring anything else or just our passports?

It is quite clear that nobody knows what they're doing.  And it's been that way for awhile it seems.  Certainly the case since I arrived here a few weeks ago.  

All there ever is are proposals and talk.  So far nothing is official.  And it's been weeks.  

From what I know, the proposal to grant automatic extension to tourists who arrived after March 1 has already passed.  And these new proposals are in addition to that.  But really, none of this matters because nothing is official.  And may never be.  But I hope.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

It is quite clear that nobody knows what they're doing.  And it's been that way for awhile it seems.  Certainly the case since I arrived here a few weeks ago.  

All there ever is are proposals and talk.  So far nothing is official.  And it's been weeks.  

From what I know, the proposal to grant automatic extension to tourists who arrived after March 1 has already passed.  And these new proposals are in addition to that.  But really, none of this matters because nothing is official.  And may never be.  But I hope.  

That was my understanding too, online articles aren't clear though.

Farcical the whole thing. 

• Like 1

Hi all  -
am old user on a new account. Like everyone else am baffled by visa situation and here is mine:

Arrived first week march on visa exemption so my exemption expires tomorrow. WHat office do I go to to extend? Is it the old one in Sathorn or a new one? Or does anyone know if the automatic extensions are confirmed? I have been told on other forums that I don't need to do anything but as you might imagine I am not confident that this is correct. Any guidance much appreciated!

9 minutes ago, robinlovie said:

Hi all  -
am old user on a new account. Like everyone else am baffled by visa situation and here is mine:

Arrived first week march on visa exemption so my exemption expires tomorrow. WHat office do I go to to extend? Is it the old one in Sathorn or a new one? Or does anyone know if the automatic extensions are confirmed? I have been told on other forums that I don't need to do anything but as you might imagine I am not confident that this is correct. Any guidance much appreciated!

Nothing is official yet, so you need to go.  I'd be interested to know how it went.  

1 hour ago, robinlovie said:

All extensions of stay are normally processed at Chaengwattana. However, extensions of visa exempt entries have been moved to a (probably temporary) immigration office in the Muang Thong Thani conference centre area. There are some details on the process in https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1157315-bangkok-immigration-temporary-office/. The queues are going to be absolutely horrendous tomorrow.

What takes these folks so long to make a decision on such an important part of people's lives during these times of uncertainty.  Why must they Insist on placing foreigners in a situation where there own IO's risk health and welfare as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What takes these folks so long to make a decision on such an important part of people's lives during these times of uncertainty.  Why must they Insist on placing foreigners in a situation where there own IO's risk health and welfare as well.

Like everything here. Slowly slowly.

Apart from when they drive.????

11 minutes ago, LubosTachovsky said:

Hey,

any experience with covid extensions for more than 30 days ? Its the same procces like first time ( embassy letter, 1900 baht etc) or they just extend old one ?

Thanks

Youd probably need a new embassy letter and probably have to pay again.

There is a cabinet meeting every Tuesday according to reports online, with this topic due to be finalised today, so there will hopefully be clarification of where this will stand, either tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 2

Does someone have a clue about the first exemption extension ?

UbonJoe was saying it could be requested to go Immig for the first extension.

But i can not see the point, should be automatic. Or just pay online.

2 minutes ago, bahtty said:

There is a cabinet meeting every Tuesday according to reports online, with this topic due to be finalised today, so there will hopefully be clarification of where this will stand, either tonight or tomorrow.

Hopefully, they must of come to an agreement and finalized it by now.

Its been too long.

All the neighbouring countries and countries around the world have already implimented something weeks ago.

8 minutes ago, bahtty said:

The first proposal was approved by the cabinet a week ago, but so far immigration hasn't changed their rules.

So it would surprise me if this second proposal would suddenly be enacted within a day.

• Like 1

The way the article reads, everyone would still need to go to immigration office, and apply & pay for the first month extension as normal, then an automatic extension will be given if required. Suppose its better than nothing, but not exactly helpful.

Clarification and actual facts would be good.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

does anybody knows if the 90 day ON LINE report app is working, have been trying to fill up the form and get stuck at step 1 not allowing me to move to the next step....

What on earth has that got to do with this thread?

• Haha 1