Pattaya considers total lockdown - people can't leave or enter, possible fines if not wearing a mask outside

rooster59

Pattaya considers total lockdown - people can't leave or enter, possible fines if not wearing a mask outside

563000003556904.jpg

Image: Manager

The Pattaya mayor is considering some of the most draconian Covid-19 regulations yet.

And the effect on foreigners and tourists staying in Pattaya looks set to be dramatic.

The proposed regulations include a complete lockdown of Pattaya, Manager reported. The move is subject to final government approval.

The strong-arm mayor's actions came as 25 people were confirmed to have coronavirus in Bang Lamung. Fourteen foreigners and 11 Thais have the virus making it the second worst affected district in Chonburi.

The latest case was a Russian who contacted the Land Department office. This seems to have been the final straw for the mayor.

Manager's article pointed the finger at foreigners for being largely responsible for spreading the virus.

Now no one faces being able to leave or enter from now on to prevent the spread.

They reported that any foreigners outside without a mask on could be fined 20,000 baht.

Everything like department stores, restaurants, pubs and clubs has already been shut down.

All main roads would be sealed off into and out of Pattaya. Only vital supplies would be allowed to get through and businessmen with legitimate reasons are being issued with permits.

Anyone trying to return home faces strict questioning.

Movement will be permitted on secondary roads within Pattaya.

All hotels still with foreigners in them have been ordered to provide lists within three days. All guests have been told to stay inside.

A strict curfew is in place overnight from 10 to 4am according to nationwide instructions.

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-04
  • Sad 3

20 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The latest case was a Russian who contacted the Land Department office. This seems to have been the final straw for the mayor. and spooked them?

maybe he walked straight in thru the front door, and spooked them

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, tifino said:

maybe he walked straight in thru the front door, and spooked them

It was a she...and checking her FB is unbelievable the thousands of people she could have infected is frightening..all her family are already hospitalized with one on a ventilator....

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Plenty for sale at Central Festival right beside the supermarket on the ground floor. Just some cheap, useless cloth and other material ones that won't help one bit but it will make the Thais happy. 

Standard face masks are widely available for next to nothing....
Those masks may help to reduce the risk of infection for other people. WHO says it does not protect the people who wear them, or at least it is not proven.

Anyhow, if those standard mask only have an effect if someone is sneezing or coughing, it already helps to reduce the risk for others. So one should were those mask when in a shop, post office etc. 
Szenario: Not possible to keep 1.5 metre distance to other people.

German virologists say, if you just walk by an infected person for a short time, like in a park, and even if the distance is less then 50cm, the risk of infection is close to zero.

The ratio is time - distance. Sitting with someone for 10 minutes and drink a coffee or beer, chatting = high risk of infection. 

Just walk past = almost zero risk.

Many Thais I see even have a mask on when sitting in there own car alone or with there children.
So they clearly not understand the concept why they should were the mask. 

The certified masks are worldwide in short supply and since medical personal, which works with infected patients needs those, only they should use those masks now. Those workers need them for personal protection

screenshot_3950.jpg

screenshot_3952.jpg

15 minutes ago, MoD1977 said:

What pisses me off is that I still see a lot of Thais without mask and nobody cares.

Was shopping at Big C Extra Pattaya Klang yesterday and have seen at least 10 Thais without mask but not a single Foreigner.

I also passed today the big Plot on the Khao Thalo / Sukhumvit Intersection and they setting up the monthly amusement park and market for the Thais.

This country turned to such an racist place that i dont know for how long I can stand it.

Does it <deleted> you off that I will only put one if the place I'am entering requires it ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Thian said:

That doesn't matter, if they want you to wear one than do it!

Long discussion with my ancient Dad today to get it through that none of the PPE and hygiene practices eliminate chances of getting it and the best anyone can hope for is a reduction of risk. So stop sticking your thumb up your bum, or picking your nose and making excuses. The doctors don't wear surgical masks to protect themselves for <deleted> sakes, but so they don't contaminate the patient, or in the case of covid 19 somebody else, like a Thai.

Thick as a brick

• Like 1