Pattaya considers total lockdown - people can't leave or enter, possible fines if not wearing a mask outside

rooster59

7 hours ago, smedly said:

TVF need to relax posting rules so I can say exactly what I want to say about this

.. edit. still better not ???? keep my mouth shut.

Edited by RedPill

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They reported that any foreigners outside without a mask on could be fined 20,000 baht.

That's the reason I'm so angry for the past 2 weeks with fellow foreigners in complete denial and ignorance of what the Thai's expect us to wear. All those useless mask discussions.

We are just too much of an obvious target and look too different to Thais ... sticking out like a sore thumb.

Edited by RedPill

7 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Farangs are  foreigners.

Farangs are white foreigners, or westerners if you will. They have different words for other races/nationalities. Your perception that Farang is used for all foreigners is incorrect.

32 minutes ago, bergan said:

Farangs are white foreigners, or westerners if you will. They have different words for other races/nationalities. Your perception that Farang is used for all foreigners is incorrect.

Anybody who spends more than 2 weeks in Thailand knows that ????

Just too predictable this would happen, now it's 'cashing' ... Thai style.

But but ... mask don't work, that's what professionals say ... sorry Mistuur ... 20k Baht or police station.

Edited by RedPill

2 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Anybody who spends more than 2 weeks in Thailand knows that ????

Just too predictable this would happen, now it's 'cashing' ... Thai style.

But but ... mask don't work, that's what professionals say ... sorry Mistuur ... 20k Baht pls.

Well, apparently he didn't. Not really sure what you mean by your latter two sentences, though.

12 minutes ago, bergan said:

Well, apparently he didn't. Not really sure what you mean by your latter two sentences, though.

For long time, many foreigners were arguing that it's useless to wear a mask, hence didn't do it.

Disregarding the fact that they are in Thailand, with different rules and views in play.

Now it's Thai style cash in ... 20k baht fine for foreigners. Games open to start.

Just don't wear one tomorrow and meet the next cop .. then you might understand the last two sentences.

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedPill said:

For long time, many foreigners were arguing that it's useless to wear a mask, hence didn't do it.

Disregarding the fact that they are in Thailand, with different rules and views in play.

Now it's Thai style cash in ... 20k baht fine for foreigners. Games open to start.

Just don't wear one tomorrow and meet the next cop .. then you might understand the last two sentences.

nobody is disputing wearing a mask - what is being disputed are the penalties seemingly only applying to foreigners and not equally to everyone 

If you think that is fine then your thinking is severely flawed as is the mayor of pattaya, when you apply civil laws they need to apply equally to everyone 

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

nobody is disputing wearing a mask - what is being disputed are the penalties seemingly only applying to foreigners and not equally to everyone 

If you think that is fine then your thinking is severely flawed as is the mayor of pattaya, when you apply civil laws they need to apply equally to everyone 

Excuse me, I read just 1 day ago on here "... professionals around the world will tell you that wearing a mask is useless".

Arguing forever.

I saw foreigners just 2 days ago passing me into a mini mart, without a mask, where all others, incl. myself, was wearing one.

I posted this a few times before.

"nobody is disputing wearing a mask" ... yes, they did ... all the time.

Now it's cash in time for the Bib's ... 20k for foreigners (if this get's trough) ... you know how this works with the police here.

Edited by RedPill

11 hours ago, z42 said:

No evidence of masks being effective at stopping the spread of any diseases.

An appalling abuse of power if this is put into effect. 

Actually there is some now, the WHO is changing its stance on this.

But I do agree on the abuse of power and racism "Any foreigner not wearing masks"
These measures on limiting time to buy alcohol and curfews only compresses peoples normal activities in a shorter time period thereby incresing congestion.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smedly said:

I think nothing ... I only know that foreigners are a cash target here ... and we stick out when we are not wearing one. And that's it.

Same as the guy who went to Buri Ram had to pay 20-40k or whatever for leaving the province without quarantine.

The only case I read about. A foreigner.

Farang pay ... what's new?

Edited by RedPill

30 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Thank you for the explanation, the first post would have been understood perfectly had it been more eloquent. Especially the part about masks don't working.

32 minutes ago, RedPill said:

"nobody is disputing wearing a mask" ... yes, they did ... all the time.

Which, let's not forget, was the WHO recommendation at the time. If they were wrong, and had to change their stance, I think it's fair to give expats in Thailand a little break. You can only rely on the information you have available, and WHO is a pretty credible source on health issues - but they may have gotten it wrong this time. The latter doesn't change the fact that the WHO, at any given time, should be a reliable source of information on worldwide health issues. And the fact that the WHO changed their advise in this matter certainly isn't a 'Haha, I was right and you were wrong' kind of moment - in most situations, it would be a good idea to follow their advise.

And this is definitely not the time to score cheap debating points.

Edited by bergan
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bergan said:

Which, let's not forget, was the WHO recommendation at the time. If they were wrong, and had to change their stance, I think it's fair to give expats in Thailand a little break. You can only rely on the information you have available, and WHO is a pretty credible source on health issues - but they may have gotten it wrong this time. The latter doesn't change the fact that the WHO, at any given time, should be a reliable source of information on worldwide health issues. And the fact that the WHO changed their advise in this matter certainly isn't a 'Haha, I was right and you were wrong' kind of moment - in most situations, it would be a good idea to follow their advise.

And this is definitely not the time to score cheap debating points.

Yes, I understand this. And it's not a time to score cheap debating points. Absolutely not.

It's just when I posted this before, what I see around me, and try to explain that it's not a matter of mask working or not ... just wear one.

To put the Thai's in their comfort zone ... to calm down the situation, instead of escalating it ... and to not make us a target, it doesn't get taken seriously.

I'm not going to explain the Thais around me about the WHO ... that's not working. 

I just wear that mask and put a dot to this discussion and make the best about my life living in Thailand, and hoped the foreigners around

me in the same situation would do the same, without any big discussion. If you know how Thai's tick a little bit.

But instead ... when I post this, it's an endless round of arguments.

And now it's 20k baht fine for all foreigners in the making. And the Bib;s are having a party with their mia noi's.

That's why I said, very predictable.

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 2

Yes a good case has been made by now for wearing masks. But people forget the downsides of the mask thing. People are NOT social distancing very much here! It's my impression Thais are doing that less than westerners. Social distancing is MORE IMPORTANT than masks. Too many people incorrectly think the masks protect themselves (they don't, they protect others) and if they wear a mask they're covered and don't need to bother with social distancing. Not to mention hand washing which is another subject.

Yes it's good and now apparently necessary to totally conform on the mask thing. Fine! But what's the point of all this? Only to reduce giving the locals "reasons" to scapegoat us, to avoid fines, and to just conform? NO! The public health goal for all should be stemming this virus. Masks I fear are a crutch for so many and wearing them is NOT ENOUGH! 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes a good case has been made by now for wearing masks. But people forget the downsides of the mask thing. People are NOT social distancing very much here! It's my impression Thais are doing that less than westerners. Social distancing is MORE IMPORTANT than masks. Too many people incorrectly think the masks protect themselves (they don't, they protect others) and if they wear a mask they're covered and don't need to bother with social distancing. Not to mention hand washing which is another subject.

Definitely, and a big worry the way I see it is all the people who came 'home' from Bangkok, to villages where hand hygiene is almost non-existent. In the villages, some times you would have a better chance to win in the lottery than finding soap in or even nearby a bathroom.

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Fully agree with you.

But that doesn't make cash in the Bib's pockets.

I've been in some ok'ish isolation for the past 2 weeks ... just go out for some food and do the necessary.

Not a problem. I will not make myself a target here or do anything stubborn or ignorant.

And have actually quite a good time with my partner ... we talk a lot and follow the news every second, and she really tells me some things

about her 'beloved Thailand' ... if I would repeat this here on TVF what she tells me about the Thai's as well, it would get deleted on here as inappropriate (or Thai bashing).

If I would have to summarize it, I have higher expectations from foreigners in Thailand in this current situation, which I don't see happening too often, and she has higher expectations of Thai's, which she doesn't see happening.

It's all a bit of a cluster fkuc at the moment ????

Edited by RedPill
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, MoD1977 said:

Because the surgical masks are only for protecting the patient.

For self protecting you will need the FFP3 mask and a Face shield.

Try to get this through your head, based on your own statement: you interact with "patients" all day. 

32 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Fully agree with you.

But that doesn't make cash in the Bib's pockets.

I've been in some ok'ish isolation for the past 2 weeks ... just go out for some food and do the necessary.

Not a problem. I will not make myself a target here or do anything stubborn or ignorant.

And have actually quite a good time with my partner ... we talk a lot and follow the news every second, and she really tells me some things

about her 'beloved Thailand' ... if I would repeat this here on TVF what she tells me, it would get deleted on here as inappropriate.

People are pulling together, I don't really see the BIB exploiting this too much.

Nice to hear about your relations with your partner being OK, but just remember how many abusive parents who are now at home with their families ... all over the world. The isolation is going to have unknown consequences for children all over the world.

To add to that, corruption issues is nothing compared to what will probably be bound to come. A child dies from hunger every 15 second (close to 6k children every day), just imagine the damage a worldwide recession or post world war 2-like recession will cause. And that's on top of the unreported (no-one to report them at the moment) child abuse cases out there.

I agree with wearing masks, and many other measures that should be implemented. But at some point, there has to be a risk vs. reward evaluation. Most countries has actually implemented stricter restrictions and regulations, than what their national Health Organizations recommended.

This will all come at a very dear price, and I think few will know how dear that price is until years has passed.

And that's not even touching the world economy as a whole, the unemployment rates will be staggering if things don't go back to normal sooner rather than later. I'm very scared, but the virus isn't the reason why. I will still follow the recommendations, though, I want to do my part. But the wheels of society stopping to spin is a very scary scenario.

Edited by bergan
Addition

7 minutes ago, bergan said:

I don't really see the BIB exploiting this too much

yet ???? ... that's why it's only a post in this thread about this proposed fine for foreigners 'only' not wearing a mask.

9 minutes ago, bergan said:

Nice to hear about your relations with your partner being OK, but just remember how many abusive parents who are now at home with their families ... all over the world. The isolation is going to have unknown consequences for children all over the world, but also for the world economy as a whole.

I have no idea about that ... good points to think about this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedPill said:

yet ???? ... that's why it's only a post in this thread about this proposed fine for foreigners 'only' not wearing a mask.

If or when it happens, it will be the least of our problems. Time will tell!

Edited by bergan
Addition

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Quite a big decision, for a place with only 61 cases, unless they know something that we don't know. 

Yes, they know something that a lot on here don’t. That 61 cases can easily turn into 610 or 6,100 if something drastic is not done. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

Yes, they know something that a lot on here don’t. That 61 cases can easily turn into 610 or 6,100 if something drastic is not done. 

I would say it's already at 6,100, if not, a lot more. 

Their actions now show desperation and fear. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I would say it's already at 6,100, if not, a lot more. 

Their actions now show desperation and fear. 

Statistically this is super unlikely. At 4000 cases you would expect hundreds of deaths, and there's no way some foreigners wouldn't have got caught in that, which would have been reported to the media by relatives.

• Thanks 1

He could have got away with this a few weeks ago, stating anyone who had been abroad in the past two weeks must wear a mask when outside. Problem now is foreigners have been banned entry for almost two weeks, so it's all a bit late.

Perhaps the lines at Chonburi immigration horrified him, and figures best for all foreigners to wear masks until immigration gets their act together.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Statistically this is super unlikely. At 4000 cases you would expect hundreds of deaths, and there's no way some foreigners wouldn't have got caught in that, which would have been reported to the media by relatives.

There are reports the elderly are dying in their homes in Issan, from "pneumonia" of course.  A member posted of his own family's experience of 3 dead.  Not tested for Corona, just left to die.  They will not appear on any statistics.

I agree, when expats start dropping off, word will get out.  then again, why do you think they made the one internet gateway here?

We are all along for the ride now. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

There are reports the elderly are dying in their homes in Issan, from "pneumonia" of course.  A member posted of his own family's experience of 3 dead.  Not tested for Corona, just left to die.  They will not appear on any statistics.

I agree, when expats start dropping off, word will get out.  then again, why do you think they made the one internet gateway here?

We are all along for the ride now. 

What has the elderly dying in Isaan to do with the 6,100 cases in Pattaya?