Pattaya considers total lockdown - people can't leave or enter, possible fines if not wearing a mask outside

rooster59

7 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

What has the elderly dying in Isaan to do with the 6,100 cases in Pattaya?

What 6,100 cases?  i didn't say that. There are the computer crimes act to consider, and defamation laws, and tarnishing Thailand's tourism industry.  

No Sir, Thailand has Covid-19 well under control.  Rest assured, they have their best men on the job here. The best Thai baht can buy.    ????

We are all in it now. 

Edited by Leaver

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I wonder if European countries are victimising foreigners for their Corvid issues or are we just being targeted by a racist regime here in Thailand.

Wonder no more

Australia's Prime Minister has told all foreign visitors and students to leave the country now amid fury at backpackers for failing to follow social distancing rules.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What 6,100 cases?  i didn't say that. There are the computer crimes act to consider, and defamation laws, and tarnishing Thailand's tourism industry.  

No Sir, Thailand has Covid-19 well under control.  Rest assured, they have their best men on the job here. The best Thai baht can buy.    ????

We are all in it now. 

Your own post, #147

would say it's already at 6,100, if not, a lot more

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Your own post, #147

would say it's already at 6,100, if not, a lot more

You missed the joke.

6,100 is nothing.  Try 61,000, and that';s just for starters.

The Chinese, and Europeans, were allowed to keep coming here, long after the virus was discovered.  Look at the numbers in their countries, and look at the figures Thailand is presenting to the world.

Smoke an mirrors.  It's worked many times for Thailand before, but it will not work this time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You missed the joke.

6,100 is nothing.  Try 61,000, and that';s just for starters.

The Chinese, and Europeans, were allowed to keep coming here, long after the virus was discovered.  Look at the numbers in their countries, and look at the figures Thailand is presenting to the world.

Smoke an mirrors.  It's worked many times for Thailand before, but it will not work this time. 

I wonder where they hide the dead and dying. In a refrigerated trailer behind the local wat?

15 hours ago, smedly said:

so only foreigners will be fined - what sort of message is that

I hope all foreigners in Thailand and planning future visits will take note of this blatant racism and foolery 

TVF need to relax posting rules so I can say exactly what I want to say about this ????

There's still hope. "could be fined 20,000 baht" means it's probably just hyperbole to scare people into compliance, much as Duterte would shoot curfew violators in that other country.

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

If masks dont stop the virus spreading, why do doctors and nurses wear them when treating virus patients ? Have they got it wrong 

Do doctors treat confirmed covid-19 cases wearing only masks? Don't they suit up these days? A lot of doctors have perished, they need to be very careful.

• Sad 1

Pattaya will be pretty much done if they do the lockdown. The devastation will be so bad. Tourists will not come until maybe next fall at best. 5 months without much income will decimate most hotels, restaurants and countless vendors supporting them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MoD1977 said:

What pisses me off is that I still see a lot of Thais without mask and nobody cares.

Was shopping at Big C Extra Pattaya Klang yesterday and have seen at least 10 Thais without mask but not a single Foreigner.

I also passed today the big Plot on the Khao Thalo / Sukhumvit Intersection and they setting up the monthly amusement park and market for the Thais.

This country turned to such an racist place that i dont know for how long I can stand it.

The situation is changing where I shop. 711's are now insisting that people wear masks and refuse entry if not, and Friendship today was taking temperatures, squirting hand sanitizer, and insisting on masks.

It is no longer an option. You can buy cheap washable masks for 25 baht at pharmacies. They're good enough to keep up appearances and better than paper masks IMO. Add that to distancing, not touching the face and washing hands often... and going out only when necessary, and you should be fine.

32 minutes ago, Timwin said:

Pattaya will be pretty much done if they do the lockdown. The devastation will be so bad. Tourists will not come until maybe next fall at best. 5 months without much income will decimate most hotels, restaurants and countless vendors supporting them.

Seems to me that's going to happen with or without the lockdown.

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I wonder where they hide the dead and dying. In a refrigerated trailer behind the local wat?

we are not in the west - I for one don't doubt what he said and I have heard the same, the death rate in Thailand may not have changed with reduced traffic on the roads (usually 2-3000 a month) just the cause of deaths - they are burning bodies at the same rate as before just the COD has changed and are they being tested for CV-19 - not a chance

and just let me add 

when some relatives think their father or uncle sister brother mother "may" have died of CV-19 - without paying 8k baht for a test they will never actually know - and anyone that thinks the Thai government wants to know either is deluded - that stat will be lost in history for ever and the Thai government will be claiming we were the world HUB of beating CV-19 with a 0.000001% mortality rate

NO TEST NO REPORT NO DATA - simple 

Edited by smedly

9 hours ago, bergan said:

If or when it happens, it will be the least of our problems. Time will tell!

Sure thing, it will also not be my problem. They will not catch me without one, I will not give them that opportunity.

But it also goes a bit deeper than that.

It's the difference between having Thai ppl thinking or believing ...

a) Ah, that Anutin bloke was right (however wrong he is)

b) Don't give him and others, i.e. that Pattaya mayor, a chance to let Thai ppl think like that.

By wearing that mask for the past 2 weeks whenever I entered a store, I don't play into their cards, so that this kind of irrational 

rules come into play in the first place (20k fine for foreigners).

Alas, it would take all foreigners to take part and not run around without one.

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 1

Had to laugh a bit ... just as I typed this post above.

There is this old Thai lady, Khun Yai, going out on her bicycle every day. Without a mask.

Today she passed by wearing one, for the first time. Someone in her family told her.

If Khun Yai can do it ... how does a foreigner look next to her, without one? ????

Things are changing rapidly. Next stop 24h curfew ... however crazy that will be with the

lack of savings & daily dynamics of this country. I hope not, but would not be surprised.

Edited by RedPill
  • Sad 1

For christ sake ........... what's the big deal in wether you wear a mask or not? ALL ...... yes ALL "farangs" here are guests so just remember that. If you don't wish to obey the rules here fine, if some of you disagree you have one choice .......... go home! Simple isn't it? I'm sick & tired of reading about all these "armchair experts" blaming those that are trying their best to save lives. You are in Thailand & the mindset is different, hence you are going to get information that makes no sense to you. Even in europe people are disputing decisions based on facts by governments & it's no different here. This virus is new & everyone is trying their hardest to combat this, so do whatever is asked of you & more! Please do not complain ............... it only makes things worse in the long term. The population of Thailand are not blaming the "foreigner" for this pandemic. They are aware where this virus originated & why it has spread throughout the world. Perhaps by not treating these people as idiots you will reap the rewards. At the moment all you people complaining does not go un-noticed by them. However, very few have publicly voiced their opinion in public ....... those that have in the media, have immediately been rebuked, ridiculed & an apology was quickly posted showing that the majority of Thai's do not blame the foreigner. Be a good citizen, albeit a foreigner & do your bit for our society here by supporting it ...... stay safe everyone.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Universal wearing of face masks during epidemics works. Don’t listen to people who say otherwise. Be thankful that the majority of Thais wear them. It is one of the reasons there is no insane explosion of this disease in Thailand.

The countries where mask wearing was played down and even discouraged are all getting the epidemic out of hand: Spain, USA, Italy. 80% of the cases are asymptomatic and these people still emit the virus from their mouth and nose when breathing and talking. You never know if you are one of this cases. Universal mask wearing insures that The virus spread from all of the asymptomatic cases is greatly reduced.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

The mask dont do jack they are hot they make it hard to breath....not a mask fan sorry..

Assuming you're talking about the surgical masks (not N95) or even the even less good cloth masks, it is true that they don't prevent the wearer from being infected. But they do prevent sprays from infected people (many have no idea they have it, could even be you) to infect others. So if everyone wore them, that would help. However, there are still problems. People thinking they don't need to social distance if they wear a mask when social distancing is actually more important than masks. People touching their face more to fiddle with their masks. Infecting themselves dealing with the used masks, which let's face it due to supply issues are being used multiple times when they are meant to be single use only. So if doing that they should be disinfected which is a PITA. 

I agree with the mask decree.  Worldwide the good sense in wearing a mask is starting to sink in - even in the US where its optional so far???  The rule should apply across the board though.  Thais are just as capable of carrying the virus as foreigners of any ethnicity.  In fact more so if the frequent boxing matches apparently. ????

We all know that the movers & shakers in this country hold their positions based on how much they were prepared to pay for the position, not because of their ability to do their jobs.  In fact it is quite normal for the top dog to be thick as pig <deleted> & their immediate subordinate be the one with the brains, running the show in the background.  The person issuing this decree is obviously of the former.

We're no longer talking  - yet another nail in the tourism coffin now.  Its a tourism mass grave.  All they're doing with the xenophobic stupidity, is ensuring that no one will come back when this is all over.  Som Nom Na - idiots!

9 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The mask dont do jack they are hot they make it hard to breath....not a mask fan sorry..

I think the moisture that collects inside them makes a more conducive environment to

breed germs. I can understand wearing one if you are unwell and have to visit a clinic though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Das Boot said:

We're no longer talking  - yet another nail in the tourism coffin now.  Its a tourism mass grave.  All they're doing with the xenophobic stupidity, is ensuring that no one will come back when this is all over.  Som Nom Na - idiots!

It's silly to make the distinction and not fine Thai's as well. Even so, my own government just told all tourists (and students!) they should go home. That's when it's reasonably under control in many parts of the country. So it seems governments of all stripes are willing to make their guests feel unwelcome. There is really no need for the PM to have gone there (especially for students), it's an embarrassment.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:26 PM, z42 said:

No evidence of masks being effective at stopping the spread of any diseases.

An appalling abuse of power if this is put into effect. 

Everyone should wear a mask,

Edited by Don Chance
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Is that your medical opinion as to why all medical service personnel appear to be using them around the world. Truly ignorance is bliss. 

• Thanks 1

So far I have documented various incidences of how Tom (truck driver), Dick (brick layer), and Harry (plumber) are walking around without masks and trying to enter banks, and 7/11 where masks are required and unable to do so mumbling stupid supid proving that they are afflicted with Dunning Krugger syndrome. Then I see the trio drinking beer together outside a closed bar that attracted a few somtam eating girls. They entered a dirty swiming pool, inspite of a notice saying not to do so as it was  closed due to Corna virus. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Confused 2